My parents against my beliefs

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tigerh98

My parents against my beliefs

Post by tigerh98 »

My parents are against my beliefs and im 15 and im a buddhist and a scientist and i know spanish and english and i really dont need school anymore becouse im going become a buddhist monk when im 18 and i live in usa florida when im 16 im going quit school but my parents do not accept that my my mom says that if i quit school when 16 shes not going give me money to go to china to become a monk and when i quit school i can get a job but my mom says that yea i can get a job but have to keep going to school its bs so if i quit school i have to get a job and make my own money -_- i cant take school any more the information i get in school its useless for the way im going live as a monk so if i become a monk in usa idk how ill go to california or new york cuz i only know one temple in florida so how am im goin travel to other states in usa?
DGA
Former staff member

Re: My parents against my beliefs

Post by DGA »

Hi Wateryang,

You need to stay in school.

You need to stay in school if you're going to be a monk. You need to stay in school as a backup plan in case you're not going to be a monk.

Really, you need to stay in school.
greentara

Post by greentara »

Have you had a really bad school experience? Don't be impulsive, pause,think, maybe your mothers right? Don't use 'monkhood' cause you want to escape from your reality. If the urge to be a monk is so strong ...you'll know, there'll be no doubts!
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

But its a waste of time while i can be home learning more science and buddhism-_- u feel me my mom says its something i need but she just want me to waste time she understands i dont need school cuz ima become a monk i i wasnt going become a monk yea ill acept her beliefs but im more advanced than everyone at school cuz school has the concept of life go to school get a job get married have kids die im not with that belief science has proven energy never dies it keeps on it never dies science its the killer of religion but not the killer of buddhism science and buddhism are friends buddhism is a scientific religion u feel me?
disjointed

Post by disjointed »

I'm also in FL and many of the monastics I know are going to university.

School and monasticism support each other.
To be a good monk you should be educated.
Also being a monk helps with school. The monastics I know who go to school are straight A students.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

wateryang wrote:But its a waste of time while i can be home learning more science and buddhism-_- u feel me my mom says its something i need but she just want me to waste time she understands i dont need school cuz ima become a monk i i wasnt going become a monk yea ill acept her beliefs but im more advanced than everyone at school cuz school has the concept of life go to school get a job get married have kids die im not with that belief science has proven energy never dies it keeps on it never dies science its the killer of religion but not the killer of buddhism science and buddhism are friends buddhism is a scientific religion u feel me?
The content of this post is a clear argument in favor of you staying in school, paying careful attention, and doing your homework: particularly in regard to articulating yourself in writing. Why do I say this? Because you will never convince anyone of anything unless and until you figure out how to punctuate a sentence, spell the word "you," capitalize, use transitions, and so on.

If you want to be an effective monk, you will need these very basic skills.

Stay in school.

Finally, a very basic Buddhist teaching for you: Respect your mother. She clearly wants the best for you.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

You can't go to China and be a monk.
And if you did, speaking Spanish wouldn't be useful
Stay in School, learn to speak Mandarin Chinese.
Then, educate yourself more until you have at least doubled what you know now.

By the way,
I never graduated from high school.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

School doesnt teach buddhism school teaches u things so that then u can finnish and get get a job but all i really need to become a monk is english science and buddhism to become a monk -_-
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Albert einstien never finnished high school and in what concept do u mean education
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

You should respect your parents. If they follow a different religion, then you should respect that religion. The Dalai Lama himself would urge you to do this--are you a better Buddhist than the Dalai Lama?

You should also value education. Millions upon millions of Asian Buddhists agree. As I wrote in the other thread, what kind of monk do you want to be--a scholar? (Then you will need to study Buddhism.) A temple administrator? (Then you will need basic business skills, such as accounting.) A cook? (Then you will need to learn how to cook.) You're not just going to meditate all day.

I assure you that there is more than one temple in Florida. Surely you can find one near you, and--with your parent's permission--arrange to visit. I'm sure that a conversation with the monks there will do you good.

PS If I understand Wikipedia correctly, Einstein attended school until he was 20. And made very good grades!
(no longer participating on this board)
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

I want to be a buddhist monk one that spends his whole life living in a temple to reach nirvana
futerko

Post by futerko »

I was pretty much the same at 15. I'd got my grades already and the school I was at wasn't really the fountain of all knowledge that it made itself out to be.

If I were you I would look at the alternatives while still pursuing the education you need, and talk to your mom to find something you can both agree on.

I just searched "alternatives to high school in florida" and there seems to be a number of options for continuing your study in the direction you want to go in.
greentara

Post by greentara »

PadmaVonSamba, You're a smart guy, very articulate. Goes to show that 'headucation' is not all its cracked up to be!
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Plz help me guys my life right now i got lots of people against my beliefs like my parents :cr :|
greentara

Post by greentara »

wateryang, At 15 years of age you feel you're between a rock and a hard place. Many kids of your age are confused. I was certainly confused and rebellious in my teens. You still need a roof over your head and shelter from the storm which your mother is happy to provide. Meditate in your bedroom, don't watch TV if you're really serious. Don't listen to rock music....no escapism. Wait awhile, just see how serious about following a spiritual path you are? If in a couple of months all you can do is eat, sleep, talk and yearn for Buddhism and want nothing but liberation, then go and talk to a senior monk in your area and make further enquiries on how to ordain. For the time being I suggest you bide your time and do nothing.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

the way i learn science is thru my android phone and also how i learned buddhism and if a teacher at school calls my parents they take my phone away so then i cant learn no more so real school for me is my phone so what should i do so my parents try to take my phone away and i cant do good at school cuz i dont do shit at school and becouse its useless
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

8) i dont watch that brainwashing machine called the tv i only listen to buddhist music 8) and my school is my Android phone i study science buddhism
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Why can't you study science at school? What kind of school is it?
(no longer participating on this board)
flowerbudh

Post by flowerbudh »

Hi wateryang,

Let me first tell you: I know exactly where you're coming from.

Several months ago, I fell into a deep depression. During this time, I wanted to quit school (mind you I was less than halfway through my freshman year of high school!) so that I could travel the world, get a job, and essentially start living my life spiritually. I didn't fit in socially and felt that the curriculum was boring, useless, and took up all the time I could and should have been using to study Buddhism. I even considered running away from home because I was desperate to escape this life, this role that I had to play as a high school student who worked, worked, worked, and because of this (I believed) had no opportunities to practice dharma. Yes, I realized the danger and the stupidity of becoming a runaway, but I was convinced it was the only way my life could be worthwhile.

I feel like you're coming from this place as well... believing that quitting school now is the only way for you to have the life (as a monk) that you want. This really is not the case. You need an education. At the very least, you need a high school diploma. You're only 15, so you have a few more years to go. If you're an American and if you devote yourself, it is possible to graduate by 16 (although you would only be receiving a high school education equivalency certificate, not a real diploma). I'm sure other countries have a program like this as well. Google "high school equivalency exam" for more information. In spite of this option, I wouldn't suggest it. High school can be a drag, but it's one of the best opportunities we have in life to grow as people. We develop skills in our upper school environments that we need for the rest of our lives. I am urging you to take full advantage of this. Also, while I understand and admire your commitment to becoming a monk, you are only 15. You have so much more to learn about yourself and about the world and I'd encourage you to stay open to following other paths. You may develop a new passion or passions in the years to come that you'd like to pursue as a career. Don't set your mind on one thing so soon, okay?

As for your parents not supporting your beliefs, this is very common. I'm the only Buddhist in my family and it drives me crazy sometimes but I have to accept it. Accept that your parents want what's best for you and may never fully understand your desire to devote your life to spiritual pursuits. Accept that they are flawed just as you are, but are doing the best they can with the awareness that they have just as you are. Do not fight them; love them and try to see things from their perspective.

I wish you all the luck on this path, dear. PM me if you ever want additional advice. :smile:

Caroline
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Well everytime i go to school for me its.just entertainment or relaxing time becouse its useless i know cuz the way ima live my life in the future doesnt requires the stup idd shi t im showed in school for me going to school until 18 is for people who are going get a job get married which is a diffrent belief system not mine and i have a problem with my parents cuz they trying make go to someplace called school which is useless to become a buddhist monk -_- what would the Dalai Lama do if he was in my shoes?? Will he let other beliefs controll him ps mom dad

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”