What to do if my dad takes my phone away?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tigerh98

Re: What to do if my dad takes my phone away?

Post by tigerh98 »

Im not addicted to my phone im not attached to it also i know material stuff are inpermanent/not permanent if i didnt have my phone ill use a computer or use books.Im not going let no one/nothing change my religion/beliefs thats how strong/stable i am :smile:
Last edited by tigerh98 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
shel

Post by shel »

Buddhists believe that all is impermanent (in, ironically, a permanent sort of way), and that include, yes it does include! all that is immaterial. So distinguishing material impermanence is... practically blasphemous, if not utterly redundant.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

So the buddha way is to not hand over the phone? which really is a guide/and also where i listen to mantras chant them listen to buddhist music study buddhism and science and other interest's
rory

Post by rory »

Tiger; you can read a million dharma books, listen to talks, but you have to put Buddhism in practice. If you are truly not attached to your phone, give it to your father; if you are truly attached to your phone give it to your father.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
shel

Post by shel »

tigerh98 wrote:So the buddha way is to not hand over the phone?
In the situation that you describe, not only is it the Buddha way, it is the common sense way, to hand over the phone. We don't know your father of course, but obeying this small demand is of little consequence. It should, or maybe I should say can, be taken lightly.
which really is a guide/and also where i listen to mantras chant them listen to buddhist music study buddhism and science and other interest's
Rationalizing selfish behavior with ostensively virtuous pursuits is a common religious thing to do, and it's very very (as Simon E. would say) transparent.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Look take this example the buddha had students/followers and the guide of the students were the buddha and when the buddha died the students guide was gone so there were on there own now example the buddha=my phone im his follower/monk im learning as much as i can until boom i dont have my phone=buddha u feel me?
shel

Post by shel »

Learn how to surrender (the phone in this case).
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Aaawww shel u dont feel me/understand me! :pig: :techproblem:
philji

Post by philji »

Give up the phone and buy a book...on meditation and begin to practice...
philji

Post by philji »

Dharma centres in Florida where I believe you http://www.smiling-buddha.com/fldharma/
Stay clear of new kadampa centres.. But explore the others, write to them, visit them, check out websites and receive instructions..... Be open with your parents, may be they will even take you to visit one so they can check it out themselves...
flowerbudh

Post by flowerbudh »

Tiger:

Give your father the phone. By fighting him on this and refusing to hand it over, you only create more problems for yourself.

Use this to find your local library: http://www.publiclibraries.com/florida.htm Visit and ask where to find books on Buddhism. Get a library card if you don't already have one. Search for a local Buddhist and/or meditation center. There are resources out there for you, but you have to actively search for them.
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
philji

Post by philji »

Flower gives good advice... Remember the three jewels are your guide.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

What are the three jewels?
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

(no longer participating on this board)
flowerbudh

Post by flowerbudh »

The Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha.
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Tiger, give up the phone mate. Any boxer will tell you that sometimes you've got to cop one to land one. Get one very simple book about Buddhism, but instead of studying it use it as a DIY Manuel & everyday try to practise at least one teaching, right speech or right action for example. Above all finish school, without an education you're long odds on short legs to become a monk or anything else worthwhile in this world. I know this because I left school at 15. Trust me. Good judgement comes from experience & experience comes from bad judgement.
philji

Post by philji »

Tiger.if you are serious about Buddhism time now to find out what Buddhism really is.... Forget monasteries, monk hood, forget phones too... And find a simple guide book to begin with and study and practice that... You are receiving much good advice on this site and much time is being given to help you.... Now it's up to you. :buddha1:
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

What are some buddhism books i can get?How do i know if a book about buddhism has right information/legit?.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

A good beginner's book with an overview of Buddhist principles:

Awakening the Buddha Within, Lama Surya Das

http://www.amazon.com/Awakening-Buddha- ... dha+within
In Awakening the Buddha Within, Surya Das shows how we can awaken to who we really are in order to lead a more compassionate, enlightened, and balanced life. It illuminates the guidelines and key principles embodied in the noble Eight-Fold Path and the traditional Three Enlightenment Trainings common to all schools of Buddhism
With lively stories, meditations, and spiritual practices, Awakening the Buddha Within is an invaluable text for the novice and experienced student of Buddhism alike.
Lama Surya Das spent 30 years in Asia and is very understandable. He was my first exposure to Buddhism long ago.

all the best
linda
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
greentara

Post by greentara »

Its quite obvious tigerh98 is not inclined towards study and tertiary education. Who can blame a young teenager who is spiritually inclined but doesn't know which way to turn? He may be dimly aware that his future is insecure. It could even be be thats behind his reasoning to 'opt' out and become a monk, maybe its a true gut reaction.
If you have large amounts of young people, thousands of resumes, kids begging for a chance to be interviewed. There is such a massive oversupply of qualified young workers, as in engineering, architecture, IT, academia and the law.

There are solid reasons to get a degree but right now in this climate I can't really think of one.
Parents will always push the kids hoping that their child will excel. Asian mothers are well known to be 'tiger mums' they want their offspring to win all the awards.
As for young people like h98r who as yet, have not shone academically, with the closure of trade schools and very few apprenticeships being offered.....where to go, what to do?

Hand the phone over to your father as a goodwill gesture, to have a roof over your head, peace in your life. He may then return it to you sooner then later as he will see this as a mature act.
To become a monk you'll need much more then a goodwill gesture.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”