liberation

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
dimeo

liberation

Post by dimeo » Fri May 23, 2014 10:42 pm

"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"

So much of the teachings are about stepping away from the wheel of samsara and letting go.

When I meditate I finally start to 'let go' of all the thoughts Ive been churning over in my mind.

Suddenly what seems like a 'problem' or an issue that mattered before..... I start to let it go.

Is this true for all things that will arise and cease?

Or am I just becoming careless and lazy? :rolling:

How do I know when it's right to say "screw it" and just let it go? Some things that piss me off , seem that way when I think "this just isn't right".... Am I just avoiding confrontation? If I just let it all go am I avoiding dealing with problems?

Or am I onto something.. like a deeper buddhist insight? :meditate:

Monlam Tharchin

Re: liberation

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Fri May 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Stepping back from self-preoccupation and a one-dimensional perspective, we can see others more clearly and find the freedom to benefit them in many situations.
It's just basic decency, isn't it?

Derek

Post by Derek » Sat May 24, 2014 6:53 pm

dimeo wrote:If I just let it all go am I avoiding dealing with problems?
I would recommend that you take a look at the fear that gives rise to that thought.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Sat May 24, 2014 8:20 pm

dimeo wrote:"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"

So much of the teachings are about stepping away from the wheel of samsara and letting go.

When I meditate I finally start to 'let go' of all the thoughts Ive been churning over in my mind.

Suddenly what seems like a 'problem' or an issue that mattered before..... I start to let it go.

Is this true for all things that will arise and cease?

How do I know when it's right to say "screw it" and just let it go? Some things that piss me off , seem that way when I think "this just isn't right".... Am I just avoiding confrontation? If I just let it all go am I avoiding dealing with problems?

Or am I onto something.. like a deeper buddhist insight? :meditate:
You can deal with problems without letting them disturb your mind, or by dwelling on them. Approach problems the same way as always, then let go of the emotions and constant thinking about them just like in meditation.
The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
-Henry David Thoreau

Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni » Mon May 26, 2014 12:03 am

dimeo wrote:"
Would you care? :)
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!

TaTa

Post by TaTa » Mon May 26, 2014 4:31 am

In Spanish the word for "worry" translated literally it would be "preoccupy ". I would say in that sense is much better to occupy than to preoccupy. This is one of the things that meditation is useful for. Being able to take care of your life without your jugdment being clouded by negative emotions =).

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”