Information on Sarasvati

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
pemachophel

Re: Information on Sarasvati

Post by pemachophel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Tenma,

Like many terma, Cho-kyi Go-cha's Saraswati cycle (that both Lama Dawa and His brother, Lama Pema Dorje, received from H.H. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche) has a number of different sadhanas in it including:

Red Saraswati for approach and accomplishment, including ganachakra/tshog
White Saraswati for lay-jor (activity)
Kurukulle for a different lay-jor
A short White Saraswati supplication
Manjushri/Cho-kyi Go-cha Guru Yoga
Vajrakilaya Yidam sadhana
Fire puja (jin sek)
And the following Protectors:
Ekadzati
Mugdzin Wangpo (Black Dzambhala)
Dorje Yudronma
Tsheringma/Five Sisters of Long Life
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Tenma wrote:I was almost killed for using outer offerings when my parents caught me practicing Buddhism
Perhaps you could just visualise the outer offerings to work within your circumstances.
And mudras without a bell and vajra? Use a pencil and eraser and visualize that as the ritualistic equipment?

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Motova wrote:
Tenma wrote: (I was almost killed for using outer offerings when my parents caught me practicing Buddhism).
This is a problem.
Any tips for that such as a simple practice or something? Can't convert them, they're full on Christians.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Tenma wrote:
Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Tenma wrote:I was almost killed for using outer offerings when my parents caught me practicing Buddhism
Perhaps you could just visualise the outer offerings to work within your circumstances.
And mudras without a bell and vajra? Use a pencil and eraser and visualize that as the ritualistic equipment?
Just visualize them as long as you are living in a place where there is opposition to Buddhism.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Motova

Post by Motova » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Tenma wrote:
Motova wrote:
Tenma wrote: (I was almost killed for using outer offerings when my parents caught me practicing Buddhism).
This is a problem.
Any tips for that such as a simple practice or something? Can't convert them, they're full on Christians.
Yeah, you should probably find your own place so you don't resent each other and create a bunch of bad karma.
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 pm

Motova wrote:
Tenma wrote:
Motova wrote:
This is a problem.
Yeah, you should probably find your own place so you don't resent each other and create a bunch of bad karma.
I'm 14, not 18. So Don't know how.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 pm

Tenma wrote:
Lobsang Chojor wrote:
I would just do visualisations not holding anything, and in my experience mudras need to be taught by a teacher in person.

While living in a place with such opposition you should be careful, try and do most practices through visualisations, so your parents don't build up huge amounts of negative karma. My situation isn't like yours but my parents are not Buddhist, they've generally not been bothered but have commented about the mental changes I've had (such as compassion and patience), this has changed their view of Buddhism and perhaps may help with yours.
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5

Pasquale5k

Post by Pasquale5k » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 am

Situ Rinpoche gave
an initiation on the Orange/red Manjushri on a Blue Lion, with consort blue Saraswati. Does any one know how to find more information. I received the Empowerment, but it was many years ago.