Information on Sarasvati

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
pemachophel

Re: Information on Sarasvati

Post by pemachophel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Tenma,

Like many terma, Cho-kyi Go-cha's Saraswati cycle (that both Lama Dawa and His brother, Lama Pema Dorje, received from H.H. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche) has a number of different sadhanas in it including:

Red Saraswati for approach and accomplishment, including ganachakra/tshog
White Saraswati for lay-jor (activity)
Kurukulle for a different lay-jor
A short White Saraswati supplication
Manjushri/Cho-kyi Go-cha Guru Yoga
Vajrakilaya Yidam sadhana
Fire puja (jin sek)
And the following Protectors:
Ekadzati
Mugdzin Wangpo (Black Dzambhala)
Dorje Yudronma
Tsheringma/Five Sisters of Long Life
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Tenma wrote:I was almost killed for using outer offerings when my parents caught me practicing Buddhism
Perhaps you could just visualise the outer offerings to work within your circumstances.
And mudras without a bell and vajra? Use a pencil and eraser and visualize that as the ritualistic equipment?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Motova wrote:
Tenma wrote: (I was almost killed for using outer offerings when my parents caught me practicing Buddhism).
This is a problem.
Any tips for that such as a simple practice or something? Can't convert them, they're full on Christians.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Tenma wrote:
Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Tenma wrote:I was almost killed for using outer offerings when my parents caught me practicing Buddhism
Perhaps you could just visualise the outer offerings to work within your circumstances.
And mudras without a bell and vajra? Use a pencil and eraser and visualize that as the ritualistic equipment?
Just visualize them as long as you are living in a place where there is opposition to Buddhism.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Motova

Post by Motova » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Tenma wrote:
Motova wrote:
Tenma wrote: (I was almost killed for using outer offerings when my parents caught me practicing Buddhism).
This is a problem.
Any tips for that such as a simple practice or something? Can't convert them, they're full on Christians.
Yeah, you should probably find your own place so you don't resent each other and create a bunch of bad karma.
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 pm

Motova wrote:
Tenma wrote:
Motova wrote:
This is a problem.
Yeah, you should probably find your own place so you don't resent each other and create a bunch of bad karma.
I'm 14, not 18. So Don't know how.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 pm

Tenma wrote:
Lobsang Chojor wrote:
I would just do visualisations not holding anything, and in my experience mudras need to be taught by a teacher in person.

While living in a place with such opposition you should be careful, try and do most practices through visualisations, so your parents don't build up huge amounts of negative karma. My situation isn't like yours but my parents are not Buddhist, they've generally not been bothered but have commented about the mental changes I've had (such as compassion and patience), this has changed their view of Buddhism and perhaps may help with yours.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Pasquale5k

Post by Pasquale5k » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 am

Situ Rinpoche gave
an initiation on the Orange/red Manjushri on a Blue Lion, with consort blue Saraswati. Does any one know how to find more information. I received the Empowerment, but it was many years ago.

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:16 am

Pasquale5k wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 am
Situ Rinpoche gave an initiation on the Orange/red Manjushri on a Blue Lion, with consort blue Saraswati. Does any one know how to find more information. I received the Empowerment, but it was many years ago.
As information about this specific empowerment and its sadhana have been of particular interest to me, I will gladly share with you what I've learned.

The empowerment itself is to be found mainly in the 9th Karmapa's collection of 100 empowerments known as Chikshe Kundröl ("Knowing One Liberates All"), and thus it is held mainly by Kagyupas as far as I could tell.

According to the praise written by the 1st Karma Chagme Rinpoche which procedes the ritual practice itself, this form of Manjushri not the usual orange/red that we often see depicted in thangkas, but rather ruby red in color, denoting his inseparability with Buddha Amitabha. Also worth noting is that the visualization includes the consort of blue Sarasvati, but rather than being in tantric union as is most typical she stands in front of Manjushri astride the lion. The lion is often made white in thangkas and initiation cards (perhaps due to the Tibetans' connection to the snow lion as their state symbol), but in the sadhana itself it is said to be blue.

As for where one can find the sadhana and commentary, due to your connection to Tai Situ Rinpoche I would point you to KTD's bookstore: https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Manjushri_ ... /13429.htm
(http://www.namsebangdzo.com/mobile/Prod ... Code=13429 if you're on a mobile device)

There you will find the pecha for a very reasonable price, and even a free audio commentary available to download. Though the pecha itself has the title simply as A Short Manjushri Sadhana in English on the cover (in the Tibetan it doesn't even say it's short!), rest assured that it is the right text... the sadhana of Manjushri that Dispels the Darkness of Ignorance. The proper name for this form of Manjushri in Tibetan is Jampal (or Jamyang) Mawa'i Senge (Jampal/Jamyang Maseng for short), most often translated as "Manjushri, the Lion of Speech."

Lastly, if you have any karmic connection with the lineages of Chöd or Shijé, this was the main yidam practice of Phadampa Sangye as mentioned in his spiritual biography or namthar (and indeed, Phadampa Sangye is mentioned in the history included within the sadhana linked above). If you look at the refuge tree for Chöd, Manjushri on the lion is always included above and to the right of Phadampa Sangye off to Machik Labdrön's right side, as seen here (though almost never depicted in the correct colors according to the actual sadhana):
https://www.himalayanart.org/search/set.cfm?setID=2213

Lion of Speech Manjushri is mentioned specifically in the Long Sutra Lineage of Chöd, just after Buddha Shakyamuni and before Green Tara, and it is most likely this same form being mentioned in the other Chöd lineages (Long Mantra and Absolute Meaning). See Chöd Practice Manual and Commentary by the 14th Karmapa and 1st Jamgön Kongtrul for more if you're interested in such things.

Hopefully this has helped somewhat in giving you the additional info you were seeking...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Palzang Jangchub wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:16 am
As for where one can find the sadhana and commentary, due to your connection to Tai Situ Rinpoche I would point you to KTD's bookstore: https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Manjushri_ ... /13429.htm
(http://www.namsebangdzo.com/mobile/Prod ... Code=13429 if you're on a mobile device)

There you will find the pecha for a very reasonable price, and even a free audio commentary available to download.

I don't seem to be able to download the commentary.

Also, it appears that that sadhana is available online here:
https://www.wisdomcompassion.org/manjushrisadhana
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:29 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Also, it appears that that sadhana is available online here:
https://www.wisdomcompassion.org/manjushrisadhana
Can you not find it, or is there some other problem with the download process? It should be an audio file. If you want to PM me your contact info I can see about sending you the file if you'd like.

Thank you for bringing this site to our attention! It appears to have texts from not only Karma Kagyu, but also Drikung Kagyu and Nyingma (as well as others I'm not as familiar with). I can't help but wonder if it's maintained by someone in the Drikung Dharma Surya sangha in the D.C. area founded by Garchen Rinpoche, as they invite lamas from many traditions on a regular basis and they are predominantly Vietnamese.

The praise/supplication by Karma Chagme that I mentioned earlier is also on their site, though it has been put on a separate page here: https://www.wisdomcompassion.org/lionofspeech. In the pecha it is inserted before the sadhana proper, if memory serves. I like that they include pics of the original text for those who care to have the Tibetan or like the pecha format, though I'm not sure how thrilled KTD would be about it...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:57 am

Palzang Jangchub wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:29 am
dzogchungpa wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:29 pm
Can you not find it, or is there some other problem with the download process? It should be an audio file. If you want to PM me your contact info I can see about sending you the file if you'd like.

Well, on the Namse Bangdzo page there is a link that says "Download the commentary for free".
It links to this address:

Code: Select all

http://namsebangdzo.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/realaudio/Manjushri_Commentary.pdf
and that gives a file not found error.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:05 am

I get the same error, and several permutations yielded no success. We should contact KTD's bookstore and alert them to the issue. Perhaps they can solve the issue with the link or re-upload the file...

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”