Is good Karma all bad?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
tomschwarz

Is good Karma all bad?

Post by tomschwarz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:06 pm

hello dear friends. i need to be good, a good person, in order to be a happy person. this is rather basic and relates to the very nature of our interdependence. my happiness is bound to your happiness even if i don't 'know' you. this is one of the reasons that his holiness the dalai lama writes:
then whenever you have the opportunity to engage in a positive action as a dharma practitioner, it is important to ensure that at the initial stage your motivation is very strong, and you have a strong intention to engage in the act. then, while you are actually carrying out the act, you should ensure that you have given it your best, and you have put all your effort into making the action successful. once the action is performed, it is important to ensure that you dedicate the positive karma that you have thereby created towards the well-0being of all beings as well as your own attainment of enlightenment

but we buddhists seek to end karma, yes? what about the good volition/positive thought? how do the beings in the buddha realm who exist only as emptiness/absolute truth/primordial awareness, with no duality, manifest/enact positive karma/positive volition?

or can we only do positive things from here in samsara? is that why shantideva writes:
for as long as space exists
and sentient beings endure
may i too remain
to dispel the misery of the world
?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA

muni

Re: Is good Karma all bad?

Post by muni » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:25 pm

It is good to be freed from disturbing emotions or freed from polluted state of mind, which is own suffering. This is actually not complete freedom, since there is also the cognitive obscuration. As long as there is subject doing good for object there is karma.

When there is no duality, there is no karma. And there are no sentient beings percieved as existences apart from own nature of course, still action is what is described as nonaction or without a subject-object.

Buddha nature is also described as Primordial Goodness.
“ Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek. ”
H H Dalai Lama

"Relax." nirvana-samsara do not stray from spaciousness.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Good karma is good. It leads to a birth in human form with the possibility to practice dharma.
It is just dangerous to think: "This good times will last for ever, because I am supposed to be better than the suffering rest of the world."

And there is no chance to "end karma" without good karma. :smile: So we need good karma not for our fun, but for to be able to help the suffering entities.
Imagine a mother: if she is happy and selfless, she will be better for her children than if she is unhappy. But if she is happy and selfish, then there is not much benefit for others from her happiness.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

muni

Post by muni » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Ayu wrote:Good karma is good. It leads to a birth in human form with the possibility to practice dharma.
It is just dangerous to think: "This good times will last for ever, because I am supposed to be better than the suffering rest of the world."

And there is no chance to "end karma" without good karma. :smile: So we need good karma not for our fun, but for to be able to help the suffering entities.
Imagine a mother: if she is happy and selfless, she will be better for her children than if she is unhappy. But if she is happy and selfish, then there is not much benefit for others from her happiness.
Selfless. In a teachings of the Paramitas, the example of mother-child is been given, as coming the closest by unconditional love.

:smile:
“ Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek. ”
H H Dalai Lama

"Relax." nirvana-samsara do not stray from spaciousness.

Konchok Namgyal

Post by Konchok Namgyal » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Only by generating " good " Karma or meritous activity can we over come the effects of negative karma
only by having a perfect non dualistic view do we become un affected by karma
of course this dualistic non altruistic view we have all stems from the three root poisons..once we overcome them and the 84000 kleshas that go along with them then we can truly be freed of karmic influence.
this is why it is called practice....I figure in a few thousand more lifetimes I may actually get it figured out !
Recognize that your mind is the unity of being empty and cognizant, suffused with knowing. When your attention is extroverted, you fall under the sway of thoughts. Let your attention recognize itself. Recognize that it is empty. That which recognizes is the cognizance. You can trust at that moment that these two – emptiness and cognizance – are an original unity. Seeing this is called self-knowing wakefulness. ~ Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

Sherab

Post by Sherab » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:31 pm

tomschwarz wrote:..how do the beings in the buddha realm who exist only as emptiness/absolute truth/primordial awareness, with no duality, manifest/enact positive karma/positive volition?

or can we only do positive things from here in samsara?
As I understand it, Buddhas are free from all dependencies including causality. But Buddhas also know the exact working of karma or causality. These two factors would imply that Buddhas can act without restriction for the benefit of beings, (Buddhas will act for the benefit of beings as this is in accordance with their nature) AND that the Buddhas' actions will be spontaneous as there is no need for any form of decision making. In this context of spontaneity, labels such as positive and negative, good and bad, are meaningless.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Good karma is good, but it is still āśrava: with effluents. This means that it creates more causes for birth in Samsara.

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:53 pm

tomamundsen wrote:Good karma is good, but it is still āśrava: with effluents. This means that it creates more causes for birth in Samsara.
This. Good karma is "good" in the short term, but you never know what will happen down the road. Also, that "good karma" may cause bad things to happen later. Just think of people who've had their lives ruined by winning the lottery.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!

Odsal

Post by Odsal » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:43 pm

tomschwarz wrote: but we buddhists seek to end karma, yes? what about the good volition/positive thought? how do the beings in the buddha realm who exist only as emptiness/absolute truth/primordial awareness, with no duality, manifest/enact positive karma/positive volition?
They do so through the power of their bodhicitta.
or can we only do positive things from here in samsara?
If by we you mean unenlightened practitioners, then I would say yes. But, if you are also talking about Buddhas I would say no. I do not think that Buddhas are bound to location. There compassionate activities appear within samsara for obvious reasons.

Could Bodhicitta be seen as a type of pure karma?

tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:46 am

thank you dear friends from beginningless time for sharing your heart wisdom.

Odsal asked:
Could Bodhicitta be seen as a type of pure karma?

the sad truth is that you are all correct ))) its sad because we all find some passing happiness is discovering "this" truth or "that" falsehood )))). like those rolling yellow faces to my right )))))

and yet, also, we must use duality to inch closer to absolute love. so in the spirit of that type of currently-useful-duality )), odsal, i would suggest that it is best to use the term "good karma" for love that includes any degree of duality (relative truth, relative love). and save our word bodhicitta for absolute love that can have an influence on the outcome of karma but is not itself part of that delusion/ fundamental ignorance.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA

BrianG

Post by BrianG » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:05 pm

The non-doing of any evil,
the performance of what's skillful,
the cleansing of one's own mind:
this is the teaching
of the Awakened.
If you define negative karma as being from selfish acts, and good karma being from selfless acts, then good karma can not result in rebirth in samsara. What most peeople think of as good karma, is actually mostly positive mixed karma.
Telepaths - I like to kill them

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”