realisation benefits.

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
tellyontellyon

realisation benefits.

Post by tellyontellyon » Mon May 11, 2015 2:53 am

The motivation for practising Buddhism, is often understood in terms of avoiding the suffering of Samara.
I would like to understand more the benefits of realisation, not just in terms of what you avoid, but in terms of what is 'gained'.

:smile:
“Don't you know that a midnight hour comes when everyone has to take off his mask? Do you think life always lets itself be trifled with? Do you think you can sneak off a little before midnight to escape this?”
― Søren Kierkegaard

tomschwarz

Re: realisation benefits.

Post by tomschwarz » Mon May 11, 2015 10:38 pm

great question dear tellyontellyon from beginningless time.... and a great duality, what suffering to avoid and what happiness to gain. let me throw something our there, and you decide if it is workable or not. what if we gave up the whole trip of "positive life"? in other words, if we wanted to really care for all beings, even the downtrodden, the dying, the suffering war-torn, depressed and so on, we would have to give up the "because i'm happy" idea ))))), right? it seems to be the inevitable conclusion if we actually stop guarding our individual territory.

so that is the context for my answer. my answer is that the benefits of buddhist realization is that you really do gain equinimity and a more realistic and workable life/perspective (discernment) on life/mortality and with that comes a real and gradual decrease of all anxiety/conflicting emotions. but the tricky part is that you get it not by building a great "castle of happiness with thick happiness smart-walls" but rather by giving up on all of the material, ephemeral, conditional "good stuff", shedding a tear for all that which will be washed away by the hands of time, putting your shoulders back, feeling all that reality in all its colors, feeling the dependent origination of all things, giving up the trip/illusion of stable independent existence. in the end, call it the virtue of necessity.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:19 pm

I always liked this description. :smile:
Total ease, complete calm, absolute freedom, supreme happiness and pure peace…
Absence of any uncertainty, any doubt, confusion, any delusion and all ignorance…
Presence of confidence, certainty, understanding all, and full direct experience…
Absence of any greed, lust, desire, urge, attraction, hunger, and any temptation…
Presence of imperturbable and serene composure in an all still silenced equanimity…
Absence of all hate, anger, aversion, irritation, opposition and any stubborn rigidity…
Presence of universal goodwill: An infinite, all-embracing, gentle, & friendly kindness…
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Boomerang

Post by Boomerang » Tue May 12, 2015 2:50 am

tellyontellyon wrote:The motivation for practising Buddhism, is often understood in terms of avoiding the suffering of Samara.
I would like to understand more the benefits of realisation, not just in terms of what you avoid, but in terms of what is 'gained'.

The Theravada motivation is to put an end to your suffering in samsara. The Mahayana motivation is to become a Buddha so that you can deliver all sentient beings from their suffering. The benefit of realization is that you can actually do this instead of only aspiring towards it.
"All the suffering of the lower realms, whatever difficulty and unhappiness we may experience as human beings, as well as every other possible suffering of the three realms of existence, have their origin in cherishing ourselves more than others."

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi » Tue May 12, 2015 3:07 am

tellyontellyon wrote:The motivation for practising Buddhism, is often understood in terms of avoiding the suffering of Samara.

The fourth Dharma Seal states that Nirvana is peace.

Saoshun

Post by Saoshun » Tue May 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Siddhis, super-natural knowledge, clarity, intellect, larger perception, living life totally and effortlessly and hundreds more things depends on natural manifestations of insights.

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:53 am

The benefits of realisation is living free from delusion, waking up from the sleep of samsara, intensely vibrant, completely unencumbered and clear.

AFAICT

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Tue May 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Ultimately , you don't 'gain' anything'. You gain not needing to gain, which is more like letting go of gain as apposed to gaining it.

But to satisfy our conventional and dualistic need to see things in terms of gain and loss, realization and non-realization , we could say that 'you' 'gain' certainty in that which is unconditioned,unborn and unceasing, including wisdom,compassion,peace,clarity and bliss.
"The changing cycle of joy and sorrow, like the changing seasons –
As a time of suffering will surely come around to me,
May I truly practice the sublime teachings."
- Dudjom Rinpoche

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:15 pm

+1 to seeker242's post, very nice description. :)

I'm reminded of the Lotus Sutra story of the Burning House;

I often think of various protections along the way as sort of shelters. . . as a drop of water in a river, we neither gain or lose anything;

yet there are shelters along the way. . . like as Mila said, 'I wander from shelter to shelter,'

I would include these as benefits along the path,

seeker's post explains it nicely. :)
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

lobster

Post by lobster » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:48 am

Others have given good answers also consider ...
tellyontellyon wrote: I would like to understand more the benefits of realisation, not just in terms of what you avoid, but in terms of what is 'gained'.
You gain what you have lost.

Ignorance is lost. Conjecture, wish fulfillment, fantasy dharma. 'Empowerment'. Jewellery, make up, masks, ego.

You lose, more and more :broke:

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:35 pm

nothing is gained or lost;

yet in another sense, everything is gained when that happens, because it's a realization that nothing could ever have been lost.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

maybay

Post by maybay » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:10 pm

tellyontellyon wrote:The motivation for practising Buddhism, is often understood in terms of avoiding the suffering of Samara. I would like to understand more the benefits of realisation, not just in terms of what you avoid, but in terms of what is 'gained'.
It depends what tradition you follow, but if you practice the orthodox path of the Arhat, the sufferings of samsara are not simply avoided, as if that were some beneficial side effect. The cessation of suffering (3rd noble truth) is the objective, and the outcome of practicing the path that leads to the cessation of suffering (4th noble truth) is the attainment of that objective.

If you follow a tradition that has the achievement of realisations as the objective (e.g. realising emptiness), then, almost as an after thought, the avoidance of suffering could be considered a benefit. But in these traditions the avoidance of suffering is considered a lesser motivation. Sometimes it is even said that one will experience more sufferings. The end goal is of course free from any and all suffering.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron

avisitor

Post by avisitor » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:55 am

On a very basic premise, there is nothing to gain and nothing to lose
One still lives in this world and the changes it goes through

One still puts on their pants one leg at a time (if that was the way they did it before realization)
The difference is experiencing original nature while still seeing this world
It is no longer awareness or consciousness but nirvanic
That sense or experience allows one to be able to act with compassion
Which is in truth ... wisdom

What changes do others see?? Nothing
What are the benefits?? There are none
One has always had this