Attitudes toward vedic astrology?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Boomerang

Attitudes toward vedic astrology?

Post by Boomerang »

I had a reading done by a vedic astrologer recently, and was advised to do some practices like chanting Hindu mantras. The reading seemed pretty accurate, but I'm apprehensive about using Hindu means to remove my obstacles. Would doing such a thing contradict my refuge vows? My first thought is yes, but sometimes I read things on Buddhist forums that say it's okay to worship Ganesha and the like as long as you don't take refuge in him. What do you think about this, and what is your opinion in general about the usefulness of Vedic astrology for a Buddhist?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Attitudes toward vedic astrology?

Post by Grigoris »

Boomerang wrote:I had a reading done by a vedic astrologer recently, and was advised to do some practices like chanting Hindu mantras. The reading seemed pretty accurate, but I'm apprehensive about using Hindu means to remove my obstacles. Would doing such a thing contradict my refuge vows? My first thought is yes, but sometimes I read things on Buddhist forums that say it's okay to worship Ganesha and the like as long as you don't take refuge in him. What do you think about this, and what is your opinion in general about the usefulness of Vedic astrology for a Buddhist?
Really this is a question you should be taking to your teacher. I include Hanuman practices in my repertoire as a worldly protector connected to the martial art I practice. My teachers are cool with that. I also asked a couple of teachers about propitiating a local "Christian"* gyalpo to make my life and practice easier and was given some tips about how to do so. So... ask you teacher! :smile:

*Here in Greece pre-Christian and Christian traditions blur at times. For example there is a church in a small port town in the the North of the island which is dedicated to Virgin Mary the Mermaid.
Her church in Skala Sikaminias (the area is currently a landing zone for boat-loads of refugees fleeing the war in Syria via Turkey)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
maybay

Post by maybay »

I think most astrologies are flawed. There's no canon, so astrologers generally pick and choose. But even a flawed astrology can serve as the medium for an empathetic healer/sage. Nothing wrong with a visit. Just check your motivation.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Here's a story that directly speaks to the OP's query. Enjoy.

A couple of years ago, Khandro Kamala, the Sangyum of the late, great Chatral Rinpoche and daughter of the Terton, Tulzhug Lingpa, was staying with us in Colorado. I knew She enjoys going to astrologers and palm-readers in Pashupatinath, having taken my wife there for a reading one afternoon when I was treating Rinpoche up in Pharping. So one afternoon we were walking on the Boulder mall and saw a sign in a Nepalese shop for Vedic astrology by an Indian pandit. In we went. He was a man in his 60s and seemed to have pretty impressive credentials. But, frankly, what do I know? In any case, Khandro Kamala had Her chart and palm read. During the reading, the pandit told the Sangyum to say a specific Hindu mantra. Afterwards, we asked Khandro-la what She thought of the reading. She thought it was pretty good. More to the point, She spent the rest of the afternoon saying the suggested mantra.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
SeeLion

Post by SeeLion »

I think astrology is one thing and Hindu rituals is another.

Naturally, if you have visited an astrologist who practices Hindu rituals, that's what he will prescribe to you.

Which is not necessarily the only solution to your problem. At which point you may want to ask yourself, what is actually your problem and why did you visit or care about a vedic astrologer in the first place ?

Personally, I have mixed feelings about astrology, but if it would be useful, religion wouldn't matter.

If we talk practices, I think there should be some ... focus and dedication to the choices we make. So if you choose another practice, it should be clear to you what and why you're doing it.

And I don't know, but I think a Deva might object to some motivations a worshiper might have.
mariareese

Post by mariareese »

But however we can fear Saturn’s malefic effects, such type of experiences form only a part of the true picture of this mighty planet.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here are the annual predictions from a Canadian Jyotisha(sp.?) for major nations, with most of the focus on USA:

http://www.prasannanjyotish.com/publica ... tlook.html
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”