Political or silent....

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

Political or silent....

Post by tomschwarz »

Hello dear friends from beginningless time!

I am sure it is off topic to discuss contentious politics. But in terms of Buddhism. ...

I wanted to confess what I have been doing about all this violence and ask you my dear friends for alternate perspectives... ...10 more kids were just killed in Nice by a truck driver, do you do anything in your three fold practice (ethics, meditation and wisdom) to serve as an antidote to the suffering associated and resulting from this conflict?

For one year I have devoted single point of concentration vipasana/discernment/Amitabha (snang-ba mtha'-yas, the natural purity of the aggregate of perceptions, free
from attachment) to whatifdonaldtrumpwaspresident.

So I got this vision that there will be a logical chain of events: isolationism/nationalism, cultures agreeing to disagree, respect, friendship.

So all that is simply an example of a worldly approach to practice. And I really just want to put it out there... ...because liberals really dislike that kind of thinking. And I have upset so many family and friends communicating that 4 step vision. For them it really "stirs the pot". If others have chosen silence or other nonpolitical reactions to the whole violent cultural conflict between the middle east .and west, I would love to hear your experience.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Re: Political or silent....

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

I HATE POLITICS
POLITICS DIVIDES
IT'S DUALITY

LOVE UNITES

PHUCK VIOLENCE

SORRY...

I'M PISSED AT POLITICAL SHIT THAT IS THE CAUSE OF ALL THIS VIOLENCE
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:I HATE POLITICS
POLITICS DIVIDES
IT'S DUALITY

LOVE UNITES

PHUCK VIOLENCE

SORRY...

Clear dear kunga. So what we are talking about here is the challenge of the 4th noble truth to understand the relative and absolute truth in coexistence (in same cognitive event). Please read over this great post by Jundo about the same http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 16#p327103

This is the great dawning of the ground luminosity that we have all been waiting for! This the the opportunity to love all equally which we have been striving for! So dear friends let's hear some inspirationall words on the dharma wisdom or meditation practice in this horrific context.

I will add om mani padme hung and also all that you experience as anger has a natural transformation into the mirror like wisdom.

East - Vajra Heruka (badzra he-ru-ka) - The natural transformation of anger into the mirror like pristine cognition

East - Vajrasattva (mi-bskyod rdo-rje sems-dpa) - The mirror-like pristine cognition, the natural purity of the aggregate of form, free from aversion.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Dear Tom

As I grow older, and the world seems to become a darker place, I find that I practice less and do more practical stuff. Like feeding people, helping them in my professional life without charging a fee, helping animals in need, even getting involved in "political" and "engaged Buddhism" situations, all in a small effort to try and reduce suffering.

Obviously, your practice related questions are hugely important and relevant, more than my own contributions, but I worry that we sometime lose the balance. While we sit, the world is crying out.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:I HATE POLITICS
POLITICS DIVIDES
IT'S DUALITY

LOVE UNITES

PHUCK VIOLENCE

SORRY...

Now that's energy we can use ...
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
muni

Post by muni »

:namaste: Dear,

How can we prevent disasters? I so often was thinking, if the Enlightened Ones/Buddhas cannot prevent it, how I can do it? Oh yes, they are not deluded grasping energy. But then how can we prevent nihilism, a cold blank state? These are questions turning in my head for many years. And that turning brought no solution.
Seeing all phenomena (things, beings) as real existences on their own is not what an Enlightened One does, still there is Compassion. This Compassion is of its nature impartial.

Thich Nhat Hanh and H H Dalai Lama gave an simple example; the parts of what we call our body, just like these parts of our body are all beings. All same, not separate of our mind.

We do not say left foot, run to the moon.

Impartiality is not a good one who is good for all, it is selfless clarity, what nothing and so no bias can stain.

What can we do? By the help of the Compassionate Ones getting rid of our own delusions or our opinions based on our biased view? Since by that we commit confused actions, the circle of karma. Many conflicts has been starting by "our/my truth". To break this deluded circle sounds freedom by which Compassion shines.

Politics. It triggers desire-hope and fear. Ah!
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hello, :smile:

I've once heard a really nice story about Polish zen sangha and Seung Sahn. It happened in 1989 or so, when there was a revolution in Poland and people decided to overthrow the communist government. Martial law was established by that time and this all worried people in polish zen sangha, so they've decided to write Seung Sahn and ask him what to do. His reply was that he has started doing 500 prostrations a day. Polish sangha was surprised and when things got worse they sent another letter asking what to do. He replied that he has started doing 1000 prostrations a day. They then understood.

I was told by one of czech zen practitioners that the moral of the story is that when things go bad we should really find a refuge in our practice and realize that without our practice we are not and will not be able to help other sentient beings nor oneself. :smile: So I think it is better to just focus on your practice and do something for others (giving your lunch to a homeless person or sth like that) and even get slightly political if you believe it is needed. Just really focus on your practice, cause it will be your safe boat when things get really frak up.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”