3 types of laziness

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

3 types of laziness

Post by tomschwarz »

Hello brothers and sisters,
His holiness the dalai lama of Tibet explained that there are three types of laziness
1 procrastination
2 negative actions/indulgence in chores and unhealthy activities
3 demoralised mental state

His holiness added that the antidote for the first two is to understand/focus on/meditate on the destructive nature of negative thoughts/actions as well as the nature of suffering.

The his holiness added that the antidote for the third type of laziness is to recognise your Buddha nature as well as volunteering yourself for something that you find joyous; that when you work on something joyous that you have chosen, the amount of time required does not matter (see Shantideva's wish to remain in Samsara for innumerable eons you help others ))), etc...)

Agree? Disagree?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Vasana

Re: 3 types of laziness

Post by Vasana »

Spending time involved in an activity you find meaningful and beneficial is really helpful imo.

https://www.lionsroar.com/start-where-y ... -laziness/

An article from Pema Chodron on the different types of laziness and how they can manifest.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
binocular

Post by binocular »

tomschwarz wrote:Hello brothers and sisters,
His holiness the dalai lama of Tibet explained that there are three types of laziness
1 procrastination
2 negative actions/indulgence in chores and unhealthy activities
3 demoralised mental state

His holiness added that the antidote for the first two is to understand/focus on/meditate on the destructive nature of negative thoughts/actions as well as the nature of suffering.

The his holiness added that the antidote for the third type of laziness is to recognise your Buddha nature as well as volunteering yourself for something that you find joyous; that when you work on something joyous that you have chosen, the amount of time required does not matter (see Shantideva's wish to remain in Samsara for innumerable eons you help others ))), etc...)

Agree? Disagree?
I don't find this threefold categorization helpful.

There is Executive dysfunction. To external observers, it looks like laziness, and the person with executive dysfunction sometimes internalizes this view about themselves as well, thinking of themselves as "lazy."
Seen from the perspective of executive functioning and executive dysfunction, that which is usually called "laziness" turns out to be a far more complex phenomenon, requiring a complex and nuanced approach in the hope of overcoming it.
recognise your Buddha nature
This is a very specific religious solution that is not available to all, and which takes quite a bit for granted. If the Dalai Lama was giving this advice to his fellow Tibetan practitioners, then this advice is actionable for them. But it's not actionable for just anyone, and for them, it raises more problems than it tries to solve.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

binocular wrote: I don't find this threefold categorization helpful.

There is Executive dysfunction. To external observers, it looks like laziness, and the person with executive dysfunction sometimes internalizes this view about themselves as well, thinking of themselves as "lazy."
Seen from the perspective of executive functioning and executive dysfunction, that which is usually called "laziness" turns out to be a far more complex phenomenon, requiring a complex and nuanced approach in the hope of overcoming it.
This is a very specific religious solution that is not available to all, and which takes quite a bit for granted. If the Dalai Lama was giving this advice to his fellow Tibetan practitioners, then this advice is actionable for them. But it's not actionable for just anyone, and for them, it raises more problems than it tries to solve.
...that validates something that I heard today from his holiness... ...it was actually a joke, but filled with strange meaning.....

....he pointed out, that masters such as Padmasambhava Nagarjuna chandakirti buddhapolita shantideva and so on, have attained great things for themselves as a result of their compassion. In other words, finding in your heart, compassion for others and selfless attitude is the greatest thing that you can do for your own well being.

But look at us, it did not do us much good! ))))) it's a funny joke. But the truth in it, is that compassion and self sacrafice really does immediately and directly improve our own lives. With that said, those masters have improved the lives of a great number of beings, such as the dalai lama himself, of course.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
binocular

Post by binocular »

Tom --

I'm not sure what your post has to do with mine ...?
muni

Post by muni »

tomschwarz wrote: But the truth in it, is that compassion and self sacrafice really does immediately and directly improve our own lives. With that said, those masters have improved the lives of a great number of beings, such as the dalai lama himself, of course.
On one retreat was said that we have to suffer in order for compassion to be. And without compassion, no wisdom can be, and without our clinging by ignorance cannot be destroyed. It is really very easy to just say so and therefore merely words is like recipes to feed all fellows.

Another master always says: thank you for your courage. I always was thinking what he means?
It is asking great courage to give up self-comfort, let it go for the welfare of all, for wisdom to arise, I guess.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Binocular wrote:
This is a very specific religious solution that is not available to all, and which takes quite a bit for granted.
I have been going through a hard time, due to non-employment and consequent lack of money. This has been causing a lot of self-doubt and 'woe is me'. That sometimes manifests as asking myself, why did I devote so much time to spiritual philosophy, I would have been better off sticking to a more useful career path? then I wouldn't be in this predicament. And so on.

But that kind of thinking is exactly what the advice in above posts is about. I fall into this kind of 'woe is me' state, which is basically self-centred, and then devalue what I have learned. That is the kind of 'laziness' that is being pointed out, it is falling into habitual patterns of thought.

Fortunately, I was able to remember the principles I have learned through spiritual practice. That, in turn, gives rise to a sense of gratitude rather than resentment, and also the recognition of the true nature, Buddha Nature, which is the capacity for enlightenment. That is something that is right here at all times, that is what needs to be recollected.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Wayfarer wrote:
Binocular wrote:
This is a very specific religious solution that is not available to all, and which takes quite a bit for granted.
I have been going through a hard time, due to non-employment and consequent lack of money. This has been causing a lot of self-doubt and 'woe is me'. That sometimes manifests as asking myself, why did I devote so much time to spiritual philosophy, I would have been better off sticking to a more useful career path? then I wouldn't be in this predicament. And so on.

But that kind of thinking is exactly what the advice in above posts is about. I fall into this kind of 'woe is me' state, which is basically self-centred, and then devalue what I have learned. That is the kind of 'laziness' that is being pointed out, it is falling into habitual patterns of thought.

Fortunately, I was able to remember the principles I have learned through spiritual practice. That, in turn, gives rise to a sense of gratitude rather than resentment, and also the recognition of the true nature, Buddha Nature, which is the capacity for enlightenment. That is something that is right here at all times, that is what needs to be recollected.
if you need a job, you do Buddha Tara practice for you
and for others that are in the same situation -asking for a hand-
this way you live normal life and practice virtue
you have to do an effort from your side also
actively looking for job, getting a haircut, etc

excessive philosophy "freezes" us
helping others "unfreezes" us
understanding this cause-effect
is of great help for making progress

excessive theoretical elucidation leads to indifference, apathy, alienation
so you must be aware of that if you don't want to live a torment...

i don't know if i'm explaining my self
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

:good:

I agree with your analysis.
muni

Post by muni »

excessive philosophy "freezes" us
helping others "unfreezes" us
understanding this cause-effect
is of great help for making progress

excessive theoretical elucidation leads to indifference, apathy, alienation
so you must be aware of that if you don't want to live a torment...
This is been warned for, for Dharma not to turn in another neurosis, another kind of suffering. Since without compassion there is own suffering ruling.

Philosophical investigations are of temporary use and then practice is as result, without result these can turn into a kind of busy laziness, by which we are caught up in thinking. Philosophy offers only to know about liberation, as a useful map, while by that only, we remain conditioned by sudden situations or situation which are placing us in discomfort.

Then “meditation” can be difficult, I have experienced, blind for that it actually offers actually the solution. All what goes through our head, like panicking me: what have I done, only wasting life and nothing more! As conditioned by thinking, believing and trusting these thoughts as they would contain any wisdom or a lasting truth or so. And these thoughts can be very convincing and mastering, resulting in “I give up”. Always I.

It is said it is very important to know how to practice so that we can “be” the meaning of the Buddha instead of "me the person knowing about". Then here Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo:
"If we rein our mind again and again
to this sense of presence
and this sense of breathing,
the thinking will of itself begin to quieten down.
And our awareness will begin to get brighter and brighter.
But we have to be very, very patient,
very, very persistent."
Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo : “One of my teachers said: first hear and study, then you think about it and you become it. And that’s the point: We go from head to heart and that transforms us. Then spontaneously what we say, what we think and what we do naturally arises from our understanding.“
:namaste:
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
binocular

Post by binocular »

Wayfarer wrote:
Binocular wrote:

I mean that unless one is already a Buddhist (belonging to a particular Buddhist lineage), one cannot make use of the advice given by Buddhists (of a particular lineage).
Some Buddhists in their talks directed at the general public (such as many talks and books by the Dalai Lama) give advice that said audience cannot act on, because they aren't Buddhists.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I'm not too sure about that. One can quite well adapt Buddhist principles and practices without necessarily self-identifying as Buddhist.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Another lens to see laziness with is found in DN 31 where the Buddha is giving advice to a young householder.
DN 31 wrote:"There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in being addicted to idleness:

"He does no work, saying:

(i) that it is extremely cold,
(ii) that it is extremely hot,
(iii) that it is too late in the evening,
(iv) that it is too early in the morning,
(v) that he is extremely hungry,
(vi) that he is too full.

"Living in this way, he leaves many duties undone, new wealth he does not get, and wealth he has acquired dwindles away."
Who among us hasn't used one of these excuses before (or again and again :P), whether verbalized or kept to ourselves?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
binocular

Post by binocular »

Wayfarer wrote:I'm not too sure about that. One can quite well adapt Buddhist principles and practices without necessarily self-identifying as Buddhist.
In my experience, that works only up to a point. From some point on, one has to declare a definitive committment, or leave altogether.
One cannot indefinitely flirt with Buddhism. Not that many don't try.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Mkoll wrote:Another lens to see laziness with is found in DN 31 where the Buddha is giving advice to a young householder.
DN 31 wrote:"There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in being addicted to idleness:

"He does no work, saying:

(i) that it is extremely cold,
(ii) that it is extremely hot,
(iii) that it is too late in the evening,
(iv) that it is too early in the morning,
(v) that he is extremely hungry,
(vi) that he is too full.

"Living in this way, he leaves many duties undone, new wealth he does not get, and wealth he has acquired dwindles away."
Who among us hasn't used one of these excuses before (or again and again :P), whether verbalized or kept to ourselves?
SAMAYAMANUPALAYA!!!! I will work harder!!!! I am a sucker for the "too late/tired to practice" flavor.....

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”