The Three Types of Bodhisattvas

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Dharma Flower

The Three Types of Bodhisattvas

Post by Dharma Flower » Sun May 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Of the three Bodhisattva paths, it’s a matter of personal choice as to which one gives the individual the motivation they need for practicing the Buddha’s teachings:
When generating bodhicitta, three levels of courage can be distinguished: the courage of a king, the courage of a boatman, and the courage of a shepherd. What is meant by the courage of a king? A king’s first priorities are to overcome all his rivals, to promote those who support him, and to proclaim himself sovereign. Only once these aims have been secured does he turn to the care of his subjects. Similarly, the wish to attain Buddhahood for oneself first and then to bring others to Buddhahood subsequently is called the king’s way of generating bodhicitta. This is the wish: “May I be liberated from suffering and obtain the level of perfect enlightenment.”

What is meant by the courage of a boatman? A boatman aims to arrive on the other shore at the same time as all of his passengers. Likewise, the wish to achieve Buddhahood for oneself and all beings simultaneously is known as the boatman’s way of generating bodhicitta. This is the wish: “May I liberate myself and all sentient beings from suffering and obtain the level of perfect enlightenment.”

What is meant by the courage of a shepherd? A shepherd drives his sheep in front of him, making sure that they find grass and water, and are not attacked by wild beasts. He himself follows behind. In the same way, wishing to establish all beings of the three realms on the level of perfect enlightenment before attaining perfect enlightenment for oneself is known as the shepherd’s way of generating bodhicitta, or the incomparable way of generating bodhicitta. This is the wish: “May I liberate all sentient beings from their suffering and establish them on the level of perfect enlightenment.”
http://www.dzogchenlineage.org/kcrbcaintro.html
Which Bodhisattva path do you find the most appealing and why? May you be happy and well. :namaste:

muni

Re: The Three Types of Bodhisattvas

Post by muni » Mon May 29, 2017 9:29 am

In my dreams every type, depending on my qualified delusions. But yes, the importance of courage.
“May I liberate all sentient beings from their suffering and establish them on the level of perfect enlightenment.”
Opening the very heart and so a chance to erase delusions. :smile:
“ Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek. ”
H H Dalai Lama

"Relax." nirvana-samsara do not stray from spaciousness.

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Mon May 29, 2017 10:12 am

Lately, I've been attracted to the idea of the boatman-like Bodhisattva. With the doctrine of dependent origination, it makes sense that my attainment of Buddhahood would be mutually dependent on the attainment of all other beings.

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Mon May 29, 2017 10:23 am

I have made the vow to be a boatman-like Bodhisattva. I have vowed to not attain Buddhahood until my wife and children attain Buddhahood too, no matter how many lifetimes it takes.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 pm

muni wrote:In my dreams every type, depending on my qualified delusions. But yes, the importance of courage.
“May I liberate all sentient beings from their suffering and establish them on the level of perfect enlightenment.”
Opening the very heart and so a chance to erase delusions. :smile:
Well said. :smile:

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 pm

From both a natural tendency and respect for my Master Hua's choice, I aim for the shepherd bodhisattva life.

Nagarjuna, in the last verse of 20 he gives at the end of his Precious Garland says:
Should there remain even one being who has not gained liberation
And who, abiding in existence, courses in the paths of rebirth,
I vow I shall continue to abide therein for their benefit,
Refraining from Bodhi before they have reached it.
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:17 am

What I probably like most about the Bodhisattva ideal is that it gives me a motivation to be kinder, more compassionate to others if I believe that I am following in the footsteps of the Buddha.

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:58 am

The long and arduous journey of a Bodhisattva seems like the most realistic way to attain Buddhahood. I am unconvinced by anyone who promises that we can attain Buddhahood in one lifetime or after one more rebirth.

It took the Buddha himself many lifetimes of selfless service to attain Buddhahood, as recounted in the Jataka tales:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jataka_tales

And in the story of Bodhisattva Never Despise:
http://www.rk-world.org/publications/lo ... a_B20.html

What matters more than our own personal attainments is cultivating kindness and compassion to all other beings. What matters is living the Six Paramitas of a Bodhisattva here and now, and the rest will assuredly follow.

Buddhas and Bodhisattvas encourage us along the path. We have to do the walking ourselves:
Dāna pāramitā: generosity, giving of oneself (in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, 布施波羅蜜; in Tibetan, སབྱིན་པ sbyin-pa)
Śīla pāramitā : virtue, morality, discipline, proper conduct (持戒波羅蜜; ཚུལ་ཁྲིམས tshul-khrims)
Kṣānti pāramitā : patience, tolerance, forbearance, acceptance, endurance (忍辱波羅蜜; བཟོད་པ bzod-pa)
Vīrya pāramitā : energy, diligence, vigor, effort (精進波羅蜜; བརྩོན་འགྲུས brtson-’grus)
Dhyāna pāramitā : one-pointed concentration, contemplation (禪定波羅蜜, བསམ་གཏན bsam-gtan)
Prajñā pāramitā : wisdom, insight (般若波羅蜜; ཤེས་རབ shes-rab)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pāramitā

The Artis Magistra

Post by The Artis Magistra » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:32 am

Even if it isn't the fastest way (or any way at all), it is the nicest way, and the kindest way.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:48 pm

I have to admit that I have the king's aspiration.

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Post by Admin_PC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 pm

tomamundsen wrote:I have to admit that I have the king's aspiration.
I feel like I could do a lot more good if I was awakened, or at least firmly enough set upon the path of the bodhisattva as to be avaivartika/avinivartanīya/the spiritual level of non-retrogression. I feel that getting there as surely as possible is much more important than continuing to toil around in samsara as an unawakened being with limited capacity.
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:10 pm

The relief of dukkha or suffering or boredom, however one translates it, is the key element of all buddhas work. Liberation of all beings from all kinds of suffering is ideal, but the process over many lives of reducing it is not to be sniffed at.

Just understanding rebirth and karma, merely with some faith, will lessen the frenzy and overreaction to life's trials.

So being a Supreme Healer, like a buddha is great. Yet a kindly, calm, helpful person, (neither a doctor nor a nurse even) is bodhisattva-like work. Such people are much in need - always.
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Queen Elizabeth II » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:43 am

Dharma Flower wrote:Which Bodhisattva path do you find the most appealing and why?
The Bodhisattva who's like a king. The appeal of it is that when it gets to the point that there's only a few sentient beings left to liberate I won't have the hassle of arguing with all the shepherds and boatmen about who goes first.

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:33 pm

If people interpret the Bodhisattva ideal literalistically, as if literalism is what matters, then they might have it all wrong. Please let me explain.

The main idea behind the Bodhisattva ideal is that a main reason for being a Buddhist is to learn how to be more compassionate, something which can only be practiced in one's daily life. It says in the Pali scriptures that the Buddha's disciples acted out of the welfare and compassion for all beings, so the Bodhisattva ideal is not much different.

It's best not to dwell so much on whether or not one will be reborn for a certain amount of lifetimes as part of the Bodhisattva career. What matters is whether, here and now, we are practicing the Six Paramitas, which are the basic practices of a Bodhisattva:
The six paramitas or 'transcendent perfections' (Skt. ṣaṭpāramitā; Tib. ཕ་རོལ་ཏུ་ཕྱིན་པ་དྲུག་, parol tu chinpa druk; Wyl. pha rol tu phyin pa drug) comprise the training of a bodhisattva, which is bodhichitta in action.

Generosity (Skt. dāna; Tib. སྦྱིན་པ་, jinpa): to cultivate the attitude of generosity.
Discipline (Skt. śīla; Tib. ཚུལ་ཁྲིམས་, tsultrim): refraining from harm.
Patience (Skt. kṣānti; Tib. བཟོད་པ་, zöpa): the ability not to be perturbed by anything.
Diligence (Skt. vīrya; Tib. བརྩོན་འགྲུས་, tsöndrü): to find joy in what is virtuous, positive or wholesome.
Meditative concentration (Skt. dhyāna; Tib. བསམ་གཏན་, samten): not to be distracted.
Wisdom (Skt. prajñā; Tib. ཤེས་རབ་, sherab): the perfect discrimination of phenomena, all knowable things.
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Six_paramitas
If you practice the Six Paramitas, you are bound to find more joy and inner peace in the present life, regardless of whether the Bodhisattva ideal is literally true.

jkarlins

Post by jkarlins » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:09 am

tomamundsen wrote:I have to admit that I have the king's aspiration.
Me too.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:53 am

when i say "untill the space remais" it is no joke
am i too crazy? (laughs)
Identities are false and not true

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”