Wisdom in Exile - Buddhism and Modern Times

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
dechenpa

Wisdom in Exile - Buddhism and Modern Times

Post by dechenpa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:28 pm

How many books written by Westerners have forewords written by HH 41st Sakya Trizin and HH 17th Karmapa (Thrinley Thaye Dorje)? Of the many books written by Westerners about Buddhism over the past 50 years, there has been nothing quite like this one. This book, new published by Dechen Foundation, should open a lot of eyes.

Read excerpt: http://www.wisdominexile.info/read

Amazon: http://myBook.to/wisdominexile

gelatinous_cube

Re: Wisdom in Exile - Buddhism and Modern Times

Post by gelatinous_cube » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Thank you sir, I've purchased a hard copy and the kindle edition; looking forward to reading. :bow:

dechenpa

Post by dechenpa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:39 pm

gelatinous_cube wrote:Thank you sir, I've purchased a hard copy and the kindle edition; looking forward to reading. :bow:
Two copies! :thanks:

gelatinous_cube

Post by gelatinous_cube » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:37 pm

dechenpa wrote:
gelatinous_cube wrote:Thank you sir, I've purchased a hard copy and the kindle edition; looking forward to reading. :bow:
Two copies! :thanks:
I think digital copies are more convenient (especially the search features), but there's something very aesthetically pleasing about holding a real paper book. :twothumbsup:

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 am

Looks really good, very much in agreement with the analysis in the excerpt above. Reading a book from a completely different perspective and tradition, which starts of with exactly the same general argument. Here and there, a few people are waking up to the cultural wasteland of modern materialism.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

dechenpa

Post by dechenpa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Looks really good, very much in agreement with the analysis in the excerpt above. Reading a book from a completely different perspective and tradition, which starts of with exactly the same general argument. Here and there, a few people are waking up to the cultural wasteland of modern materialism.
Yes, materialism is a wasteland, and then there is no going back to Christianity for most people, for a lot of reasons but I think most people would agree. And same for Islam which is basically a more extreme and austere form of theism than Christianity. So Buddhism is perhaps the natural solution for the modern West, if only the 'space' for it, as Lama Jampa puts it, was widely recognized.

What is the other book you are reading?

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:27 am

dechenpa wrote: What is the other book you are reading?
Defragmenting Modernity, Paul Tyson.

There are some philosophical points in this text quite convergent with Buddhist understanding, but it's basically written from a Christian Platonist perspective.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

dechenpa

Post by dechenpa » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:22 am

I will check him out. I had been reading Charles Taylor which had some similar themes from a Christian perspective.

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:07 am

https://soundcloud.com/lama-jampa-thaye ... dern-times

LJT talks about the book here, very nice talk.
Then, the Licchavi Vimalakīrti spoke to the elder Śāriputra and the great disciples: “Reverends, eat of the food of the Tathāgata! It is ambrosia perfumed by the great compassion. But do not fix your minds in narrow-minded attitudes, lest you be unable to receive its gift.”

- Chapter 9, The Feast Brought by the Emanated Incarnation
The Noble Mahāyāna Sūtra “The Teaching of Vimalakīrti”

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:14 pm

That's a really nice analysis and extremely well written! If the rest of the book is like this I think I will have to buy and read it!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

dechenpa

Post by dechenpa » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks for the support you guys. I have been thinking a lot about what this book is saying recently and its certainly gives a interesting though maybe uncomfortable perspective on the last 50 years or so of Buddhism in the West.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”