Pride, Self Confidence and High Self Esteem??

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Tirisilex

Pride, Self Confidence and High Self Esteem??

Post by Tirisilex »

Pride: 1.
a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

Confidence: the state of feeling certain about the truth of something.

Self Esteem: 1. respect for or a favorable opinion of oneself
2. an unduly high opinion of oneself; vanity

What is Pride in the Bible? Does it agree with the definition above? How do you differentiate it from confidence or Self Esteem? How do you know when to be Humble?

I always think about when I was in Art School. I knew I was a good Artist and when I looked at other artists work.. Instead of thinking to myself about how much better I was I would look for what they could do that I could not. How do you know when you are puffing yourself up? I don't want to be prideful but I want to be confident. Are there different levels of pride? Some are ok to have but others not?
Dan74
Former staff member

Re: Pride, Self Confidence and High Self Esteem??

Post by Dan74 »

Hi Tirisilex :hi:

Cool to hear that you're an artist. Way back when I used to paint and draw, but thankfully never had to really worry (like professionals do) whether I was any good. Was just fun.

I guess these issues of pride and self-esteem are fuelled by a sense of insecurity for most of us. I mean if I am 100% ok with who I am and what I do, then these questions would not even arise. So what's this insecurity? That's something that we should each dig into for ourselves.

The Buddhist thing to do, as far as I make out, is to bring a curious awareness to what's going on with ourselves and avoid causing harm. So not to put yourself or others down, to pay attention when these issues arise and to see what's happening at that time - thoughts, feelings, sensations. This attention helps unravel these old yarns of emotional reactivity and habit that keep us caught in this "am I good enough? I am better than others/I am no good" cycles. Then you just worry a lot less about these things and focus on what you're doing.

As for confidence, I think confidence is helped by giving yourself 100% to what you do.

Don't know is this makes sense, I try to keep things brief, sometimes too brief.

All the best with it and feel free to follow up if you want to.
muni

Post by muni »

Hello,

Confidence is good, is necessary. There is no belief necessary other than : I can do it. I mean here, not to let go the path of liberation because of law self-esteem ( which is another obstacle) and keep faith, and courage.

It seems pride and high self-esteem ( and low self-esteem as well) need somehow others for comparisons to be. Not? Then there are images in thoughts as being 'others which are less than me'. That is holding onto a "I" as independent solidness on itself and is actually suffering.

Confidence in ones potential seems to open the presence of compassion/respect for all and all. It allows rejoicing for all. While pride not.

The confidence in artwork can be useful as well in establishing confidence very much, which is neccesary on the liberating path. Even artwork can be "an expression of Dharma practice" as well.

Best wishes with your works.

:namaste:
muni

Post by muni »

Painting and drawing....... with warm heart, as an example for all.
phpBB [video]
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Just noticing that you want to work on it, and asking the question is a big step. It's like that for anything, I think.

Jake
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

'Confidence' and 'pride' aren't exactly the same thing. One can be very confident - for instance, if you're a heart surgeon, where any slip could mean death, you have to have complete confidence in your ability to execute. But that doesn't necessarily mean 'pride'. You may or may not be prideful about what you're able to do, but your self-confidence, in that case, is not the same as 'pride'.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”