Willingly falling asleep - without being tired

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
HandsomeMonkeyking

Willingly falling asleep - without being tired

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking »

Some practises (not just buddhist/dharma related), seem to give you so much energy that its hard to fall asleep at night.

I wonder though: can we only sleep when we are exhausted? Can we not also willingly fall asleep (and do some practises in the sleep in that time)?

What helps to fall asleep willingly, even if one is not physically or mentally tired?

On another note:
Because so much energy is new to me, I also feel that my thinking is not so clear. Feels like a glass of water with sand inside and someone just swirled with a spoon. I have to put a lot effort to remain 'calm' and not get too enthusiastic/hyper about things.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Willingly falling asleep - without being tired

Post by 明安 Myoan »

What helps to fall asleep willingly, even if one is not physically or mentally tired?
A nightly ritual of activities you always do to tell your mind and body with "now it's time to sleep ", a dark cool room with no screens, a regular time you go to bed and wake up.

Do you mean beyond normal sleep hygiene?

Also, sleep yoga is a subject you can read more about if so inclined.
Namu Amida Butsu
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Willingly falling asleep - without being tired

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I often drink espresso coffee at night, a couple of hours before I go to sleep.
I really love espresso.
I can go right to sleep. If I wake up. I'm instantly wide awake, but I can go back to sleep.
I think the key is isolating areas of brain activity and muscle relaxation.
Do you meditate? If you can't sleep, try lying there with your eyes closed for a few hours, without moving, and just watch the breath as in shamatha meditation, and don't worry about sleeping.
If you feel all wound up after engaging in active practices like sadhanas and chanting and so forth,
spend more time at the end dedicating the merit, dedicate all that energy, so that you are not holding onto it.

these are just some suggestions. Everybody is different.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”