How should I deal with these insults to Buddhism?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
kimjihoon5924

How should I deal with these insults to Buddhism?

Post by kimjihoon5924 »

I have been annoyed by some Protestant Koreans numerously lately, most of them somehow found out I have taken refuge in BuddhaDharma and they are starting to message me that "Buddhism is satanic religion", "You should not follow such teachings as god is one, and he condemns such ludicrousness". They usually tackle me on the fact that all Buddhists are idolizing the false god, the 'Buddha', idolizing golden statues and praying. Even if I try to explain to them that Buddhists are not praying to Buddha, but showing respect for him and taking refuge in the Dharma, they don't listen and continues insulting. What should I do? Sometimes my compassion for them disappears and only hatred is left. Please guide me, my Buddhist brothers and sisters. :namaste:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: How should I deal with these insults to Buddhism?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

kimjihoon5924 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 am I have been annoyed by some Protestant Koreans numerously lately, most of them somehow found out I have taken refuge in BuddhaDharma and they are starting to message me that "Buddhism is satanic religion", "You should not follow such teachings as god is one, and he condemns such ludicrousness". They usually tackle me on the fact that all Buddhists are idolizing the false god, the 'Buddha', idolizing golden statues and praying. Even if I try to explain to them that Buddhists are not praying to Buddha, but showing respect for him and taking refuge in the Dharma, they don't listen and continues insulting. What should I do? Sometimes my compassion for them disappears and only hatred is left. Please guide me, my Buddhist brothers and sisters. :namaste:
I tell people that I don't discuss my religion with strangers and casual acquaintances, and similarly, I am not interested in the religious opinions of strangers and casual acquaintances (except on this forum of course, lol)). If I was, I'd ask them what they thought.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
pael

Post by pael »

I have tried to discuss and tell about selflessness (lack of controller), rebirth and emptiness to God-believer. He didn't asked to hear these. He didn't have interest. He asked tough questions and expressed opposite opinions. I couldn't answer very precisely. He refuted my explanations about lack of controller. I noticed how little I know and understand. It made it harder to see world in Dharma way.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Also remember the bodhisattva principle, accepting those that insult you as teachers, and not feeling aggrieved by what they say. It doesn't mean agreeing with them, but not being disturbed by them. I know, much easier to say than do, but it is worth reflecting on.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
kimjihoon5924

Post by kimjihoon5924 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:53 am
kimjihoon5924 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 am I have been annoyed by some Protestant Koreans numerously lately, most of them somehow found out I have taken refuge in BuddhaDharma and they are starting to message me that "Buddhism is satanic religion", "You should not follow such teachings as god is one, and he condemns such ludicrousness". They usually tackle me on the fact that all Buddhists are idolizing the false god, the 'Buddha', idolizing golden statues and praying. Even if I try to explain to them that Buddhists are not praying to Buddha, but showing respect for him and taking refuge in the Dharma, they don't listen and continues insulting. What should I do? Sometimes my compassion for them disappears and only hatred is left. Please guide me, my Buddhist brothers and sisters. :namaste:
I tell people that I don't discuss my religion with strangers and casual acquaintances, and similarly, I am not interested in the religious opinions of strangers and casual acquaintances (except on this forum of course, lol)). If I was, I'd ask them what they thought.
Maybe I should just politely refuse to react when they try to criticise.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Personally I refrain from defending Dharma and instead encourage them to follow their beliefs. I have enough quotes from the Bible that I feel are worthwhile to give them a positive reaction. Although I’m not doing this as a judo-type move it does work out. I don’t see a reason, need, or any benefit to arguing, and I honestly have a positive appreciation of (some) Christianity. If you don’t defend you deprive the attacker of fuel. It also confuses them.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

You should equip yourself with various reasonings why the teachings of the Buddha are true. This will give you the necessary self-confidence when your beliefs are being 'attacked'.

You should also research on Christianity to understand why it is false. That way, you feel compassion for them when they insult your beliefs.

The above strategies are complementary.

If you try to find arguments against Buddhism online, you will not find many. But that is a good place to start to learn and develop counter arguments.

Arguments against Christianity on the other hand are so numerous that you may wonder where to start. There are arguments by academics that the religion of the Old Testament is an assimilation of older pagan religions in the Middle East. The New Testament too apparently is little different. Some academics even questioned the historicity of Christ, the central figure of Christianity. There are also materials showing how the Bible is full of contradictions and internal inconsistencies.

Youtube has a lot of videos by atheists arguing against Christianity. Of course, there are also lots of videos posted by Christians as well. If you prefer to read, you can google search for the relevant websites.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

pael wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 am I have tried to discuss and tell about selflessness (lack of controller), rebirth and emptiness to God-believer. He didn't asked to hear these. He didn't have interest. He asked tough questions and expressed opposite opinions. I couldn't answer very precisely. He refuted my explanations about lack of controller. I noticed how little I know and understand. It made it harder to see world in Dharma way.
Tough questions such as?
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Sherab wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 am You should equip yourself with various reasonings why the teachings of the Buddha are true. This will give you the necessary self-confidence when your beliefs are being 'attacked'.

You should also research on Christianity to understand why it is false. That way, you feel compassion for them when they insult your beliefs.

The above strategies are complementary.

If you try to find arguments against Buddhism online, you will not find many. But that is a good place to start to learn and develop counter arguments.

Arguments against Christianity on the other hand are so numerous that you may wonder where to start. There are arguments by academics that the religion of the Old Testament is an assimilation of older pagan religions in the Middle East. The New Testament too apparently is little different. Some academics even questioned the historicity of Christ, the central figure of Christianity. There are also materials showing how the Bible is full of contradictions and internal inconsistencies.

Youtube has a lot of videos by atheists arguing against Christianity. Of course, there are also lots of videos posted by Christians as well. If you prefer to read, you can google search for the relevant websites.
Be a second Malcolm Smith lol.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

I suspect the antagonism of Christians towards to Buddhist in S.Korea might be worse than in USA in some respect,due to the fervour of Christian missionaries in that country.
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

liuzg150181 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:28 am Be a second Malcolm Smith lol.
Great if you can do that but I never had that in mind. You just have to look for principles underlying the teachings by asking why the Buddha taught this or that, and see how the teachings of the Buddha are interconnected.
jorden

Post by jorden »

Sherab wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 am Arguments against Christianity on the other hand are so numerous that you may wonder where to start. There are arguments by academics that the religion of the Old Testament is an assimilation of older pagan religions in the Middle East. The New Testament too apparently is little different. Some academics even questioned the historicity of Christ, the central figure of Christianity. There are also materials showing how the Bible is full of contradictions and internal inconsistencies.
I once tried this on Jehova's Witnesses and was very much impressed by their knowledge of the Bible. They study their scriptures, write about what is wrong view and right view and have a perfectly closed system to argue from. They will not be impressed. My conclusion was that arguing is not very fruitful except for getting a clearer understanding of where the differences lie.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

kimjihoon5924 wrote:
Yes, this is how I handle these cases too. And I have compassion as a good reason:
Once I lead such a discussion over two hours - and I won. I proved to those two girls that fear was their only reason to be Baptists... Within that discussion both explained to me how unhappy they were before and how Jesus saved their life. Clearly their religion was the most important thing in their life.
Therefore, I felt very bad about implanting doubts into their heats. It's not my business. I think, they deserve to be happy. So, I promised myself to never lead such a discussion again.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Ayu wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 am
kimjihoon5924 wrote:
Yes, this is how I handle these cases too. And I have compassion as a good reason:
Once I lead such a discussion over two hours - and I won. I proved to those two girls that fear was their only reason to be Baptists... Within that discussion both explained to me how unhappy they were before and how Jesus saved their life. Clearly their religion was the most important thing in their life.
Therefore, I felt very bad about implanting doubts into their heats. It's not my business. I think, they deserve to be happy. So, I promised myself to never lead such a discussion again.
Well,sometimes(or rather most of the time) they started it,so...... :shrug:
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Sherab wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:22 am
liuzg150181 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:28 am Be a second Malcolm Smith lol.
Great if you can do that but I never had that in mind. You just have to look for principles underlying the teachings by asking why the Buddha taught this or that, and see how the teachings of the Buddha are interconnected.
Might be better get armed to the teeth with regards to Buddhist debate ala Malcolm Smith style,as I suspect sometimes the debate might get confrontational.
That said,one seldom manage to persuade the other side in debate,only to demolish opposing argument.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

jorden wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 am
Sherab wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 am Arguments against Christianity on the other hand are so numerous that you may wonder where to start. There are arguments by academics that the religion of the Old Testament is an assimilation of older pagan religions in the Middle East. The New Testament too apparently is little different. Some academics even questioned the historicity of Christ, the central figure of Christianity. There are also materials showing how the Bible is full of contradictions and internal inconsistencies.
I once tried this on Jehova's Witnesses and was very much impressed by their knowledge of the Bible. They study their scriptures, write about what is wrong view and right view and have a perfectly closed system to argue from. They will not be impressed. My conclusion was that arguing is not very fruitful except for getting a clearer understanding of where the differences lie.
Agreed as I had contact with JW several years ago, they even managed to argue why Christian shouldnt worship the cross and 25th Dec isnt the birthday of Jesus Christ.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

liuzg150181 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 am
Ayu wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 am
kimjihoon5924 wrote:
Well,sometimes(or rather most of the time) they started it,so...... :shrug:
Yes, yes, surely they started. But I rather want to be an obstacle for them to continue evangelizing than to take the responsibility for them to lose their path. It's not worth the energy of input, because the result will have a bitter taste whoever "wins".
Only IMHO.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

kimjihoon5924 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 am :namaste:
:good:

Never discuss Buddhadharma with does who intent do insult it.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Maybe try to generate kindness for them

Don't let em draw you into their drama, you don't have to engage at all unless you want to

Jake
pael

Post by pael »

liuzg150181 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 am
pael wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 am I have tried to discuss and tell about selflessness (lack of controller), rebirth and emptiness to God-believer. He didn't asked to hear these. He didn't have interest. He asked tough questions and expressed opposite opinions. I couldn't answer very precisely. He refuted my explanations about lack of controller. I noticed how little I know and understand. It made it harder to see world in Dharma way.
Tough questions such as?
He said there are deeds which are absolutely evil, when I said there are no absolutely evil.
And he said person is continuum which started from birth, when I said person can't be found at any part of body.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”