Would you agree with this statement??

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Tirisilex

Would you agree with this statement??

Post by Tirisilex »

I've been thinkin about the phrase Form is Emptiness and Emptiness is form. I'm wondering if other Buddhists agree with this phrase: "Reality is Illusion, Illusion is Reality."
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Would you agree with this statement??

Post by Ayu »

Sounds a bit like "A rose is a rose is a rose" to me. :smile:
I think, the statement is correct, but the term "Reality" is misleading possibly.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Tirisilex wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 am I've been thinkin about the phrase Form is Emptiness and Emptiness is form. I'm wondering if other Buddhists agree with this phrase: "Reality is Illusion, Illusion is Reality."
Reality is illusion - the first part is true but it is referring to conventional, consensual reality. Illusion is Reality is not the same as Emptiness is Form. Emptiness != Illusion. Emptiness can be seen as the space where all things manifest through dependant arising (however emptiness is not exactly that space - so things manifest in space and time because they are empty and through dependant arising).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Tirisilex wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 am "Reality is Illusion, Illusion is Reality."
No the rabbit’s horn really is sharp.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Tirisilex wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 am I've been thinkin about the phrase Form is Emptiness and Emptiness is form. I'm wondering if other Buddhists agree with this phrase: "Reality is Illusion, Illusion is Reality."
Train wreck. ....that bit of the dharma is actually trying to get us to quiet the mind, particularly the part that would like to slice and dice reality in a conceptual schema. Reality is an illusion is something like pop art:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/31/c6/76/31c6 ... ne-art.jpg

This bit of the dharma is about the nature of the basic space of phenomena, which relates to interdependence and the idea that all that really exists (with stability) is dependent origination a.k.a. emptiness. That this is the only stable aspect of form.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Tirisilex wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 am I've been thinking about the phrase Form is Emptiness and Emptiness is form. I'm wondering if other Buddhists agree with this phrase: "Reality is Illusion, Illusion is Reality."
The idea of an illusion is only meaningful if there is reality with which to contrast it. It everything were illusion, then there would be no sense in talking about 'illusion'; illusion exists precisely because it is not what it appears, so, not real. (''Trying to make it real - compared to what?', as a song once said.)

My take is, deluded cognition takes things to be what they're not, and thereby engenders illusion. When things are seen as they are, then the illusion is dispersed. But in either case, it's the same things that are being seen. So there's no difference in what is, only in what sees it - deluded cognition is trapped by illusion where enlightened cognition is not.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

Firstly the mountain is just the mountain and finally the mountain is the mountain again. Return to reality. No more slogging through illusions or paddling through the sea of emptiness. Reality (Tathata) just as it is.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

White Lotus wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 pm Firstly the mountain is just the mountain and finally the mountain is the mountain again. Return to reality. No more slogging through illusions or paddling through the sea of emptiness. Reality (Tathata) just as it is.
The root of suffering grows deeper than thought.
Namu Amida Butsu
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

no reality, no illusion
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Also, form and emptiness aren't opposites contradicting each other, or opposites held simultaneously in paradox. What they negate is the habituated misapprehension of phenomena, of experience, which leads to suffering and rebirth.
Namu Amida Butsu
muni

Post by muni »

If what is real and non-real are both absent, absent from before grasping mind....then what?
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

I don't know if I'd agree with that

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”