Introduction to Buddhahood

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

Re: Introduction to Buddhahood

Post by tomschwarz »

muni wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 am
There is said: "by the grace of emptiness all is possible". That always sounded so nice in my ears. But not sure if it would be skilful to say by 'the grace' of emptiness 'suffering' is possible. However it is the possibility for freedom of it.
there is a lot for us to learn in this. Emptiness, aka dependent origination is just the reality and profundity of causation. No question, there is somthing very positive about it for the othetwise independence-driven human mind.

But sure, because of emptiness there is anything and everything its just the fundemental and stable nature of all things, so sure hate is included in that. But true, if a humam sees the empty nature (dependent origination) of hate it will transform without renunciation into pristine cognitions such as the rainbow heart of tonglen or the mirror like wisdom of vajrayana.

i am learning that the noble truth number one is not only true, but all my friends and my family and strangers, unless they have a deep and ripened practice which almost none have, they really suffer, not just birth old age sickness and death, not just the suffering of change, but the endless futile death march to find, define, save, express, communicate and get love and attentions for their selves, a.k.a the suffering of conditioned existance (to put it quite broadly).
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Rick

Post by Rick »

tomschwarz wrote:i am learning that the noble truth number one is not only true, but all my friends and my family and strangers, unless they have a deep and ripened practice which almost none have, they really suffer
Some suffer more, some less. Some learn how to minimize suffering and maximize joy. Others not. But I agree with you, I have never met anyone who has zero suffering: gross (depression, anguish, anxiety, despair, sorrow, loss, etc.) or subtle (that pesky feeling that something is awry, Koyaanisqatsi = life out of balance).

The utterly radical "promise" of Buddhism is that suffering can not only be reduced ... it can be 100% removed, every tiny trace of it. Is it a promise that can be kept? I guess that has to be answered by every individual practitioner.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
muni

Post by muni »

I guess that has to be answered by every individual practitioner.
It is so very much. Only, with the experience of being there an individual practitioner practising a practice, then it turns or falls in struggling, desillusion..., suffering.
There are the Paramitas as example. I have no idea how these are possible to 'apply' without practice in which this ( absence of these three concepts) is so.
Chenrezig aspect, lots of suffering everywhere. It is a ping pong game of ups and downs, striving to have the ups and avoiding the downs, since the grasped world and its phenomena seems only to fit when things go in accordance with desired experience. Craving; avoiding and desiring is then misfortune itself.

An inspiration:
When stirred by that demon, “Grasping-as-real,”
Relative appearances arise.
But cut through this, your own error,
While investigating what reason can know;
Turn back errant illusion,
Just look at reality's show!

In the face of an empty-clear sky,
There is no independent true thing,
But manifold causal conditions
Together make rainbow designs.
Just look at this! It is amazing
How it all aimlessly seems to arise!

Though you can't catch hold of anything
By analysis that seeks out a “this,”
It is in the nexus of conditions,
The attribution of names alone,
That all doings and deeds are established.
Open your eyes to this illusion!
muni

Post by muni »

But sure, because of emptiness there is anything and everything its just the fundemental and stable nature of all things, so sure hate is included in that. But true, if a humam sees the empty nature (dependent origination) of hate it will transform without renunciation into pristine cognitions such as the rainbow heart of tonglen or the mirror like wisdom of vajrayana.
I see. Then I guess, no any opposite 'exist', since no delusion by dichotomy, no rejecting-accepting.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

When stirred by that demon, “Grasping-as-real,”
Relative appearances arise.
But cut through this, your own error,
While investigating what reason can know;
Turn back errant illusion,
Just look at reality's show!

In the face of an empty-clear sky,
There is no independent true thing,
But manifold causal conditions
Together make rainbow designs.
Just look at this! It is amazing
How it all aimlessly seems to arise!
YES YES YES YES
YES YES YES REPEAT!
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Whatever arises-either objects or conciousness, defilements, cessations or affirmations -- naturally dissolve as soon as it occurs. That is to say, once its true nature is known, it disolves. And this dissolution is into a state of the Dharmakaya, which has been complete from time immemorial, pervading everything equally. Therefore, having abandoned samsara, there is no need to search for nirvana.

Whatever (objects) appear are like mirrors reflecting the ultimate. Whatever (states of consciousness) arise, naturally disolve as soon as they are recognized. This is the play of Dharmakaya. This is the significance of the ultimate meaning, the very summit of views, the Great Completeness, Dzogchen.
"Four-Themed Precious Garland", Long-ch'en Ram-jam-pa
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Rick wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:54 pm
tomschwarz wrote:i am learning that the noble truth number one is not only true, but all my friends and my family and strangers, unless they have a deep and ripened practice which almost none have, they really suffer
Some suffer more, some less. Some learn how to minimize suffering and maximize joy. Others not. But I agree with you, I have never met anyone who has zero suffering: gross (depression, anguish, anxiety, despair, sorrow, loss, etc.) or subtle (that pesky feeling that something is awry, Koyaanisqatsi = life out of balance).

The utterly radical "promise" of Buddhism is that suffering can not only be reduced ... it can be 100% removed, every tiny trace of it. Is it a promise that can be kept? I guess that has to be answered by every individual practitioner.
The paths of yogic valid-cognition or self-liberation are there to reveal that freedom from suffering is indeed possible long before the 100% has been realized. Afflictions may still arise but they're liberated symyltaenously for those with stability in the natural state. If we can come to experience the self liberation of one thought driven by anger, aattachment or delusion then we can eventually gain certainty that it's possible for every thought, feeling and perception.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”