Turkey practices?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Tenma

Turkey practices?

Post by Tenma »

Thanksgiving is about to come up, what practices are we to do to liberate all these turkeys? Sorry for spamming, but I'm trying to find out the Mahayana way of liberation for these sentient beings.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
jkarlins

Re: Turkey practices?

Post by jkarlins »

good question- some thoughts

tonglen
liberate some other animals in their place
metta/4 immeasurables

Jake
rory

Post by rory »

Easy do what I'm doing: eat a Celebration Vegan roast. Then I plan to go to my altar, burn incense chant Amida's name: nembutsu, and transfer the merit to the poor turkeys to be reborn in Amida's Pure Land.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I noticed at Pema Osel Ling they're doing an Amitabha Buddha Tsok puja dedicated to all the killed turkeys...
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Adamantine wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:28 am I noticed at Pema Osel Ling they're doing an Amitabha Buddha Tsok puja dedicated to all the killed turkeys...
Perfect! Let's join them! :twothumbsup:
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Adamantine wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:28 am I noticed at Pema Osel Ling they're doing an Amitabha Buddha Tsok puja dedicated to all the killed turkeys...
I'd imagine they will be be buying and eating turkey too so....
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:42 am
I'd imagine they will be be buying and eating turkey too so....
Better get the Milarepa mantra then.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

OM MANI PEME HUNG works too for meat, as has been said in other threads

enjoy the feast

Jake
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I was at one of my favorite restaurants today picking up some food to take home and there was a nun sitting and eating with one layperson. I will often pay for monastics meals when I see them at restaurants or if they are close to me in line at the grocery store, but this place isn't vegetarian and has only a few vegetarian dishes. i asked the worker if the nun had ordered meat and he said yes. I shook my head and he said that he thought it was very bad. I think I agree, but i still paid for their meal.

I don't know what they take away from this is, but it happened today and this thread just reminded me.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:46 am I was at one of my favorite restaurants today picking up some food to take home and there was a nun sitting and eating with one layperson. I will often pay for monastics meals when I see them at restaurants or if they are close to me in line at the grocery store, but this place isn't vegetarian and has only a few vegetarian dishes. i asked the worker if the nun had ordered meat and he said yes. I shook my head and he said that he thought it was very bad. I think I agree, but i still paid for their meal.

I don't know what they take away from this is, but it happened today and this thread just reminded me.
She probably used one of the meat mantras.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

TURKEY.jpg
TURKEY.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Eat tofu turkey instead of real turkeys. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Tenma wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:55 am Thanksgiving is about to come up, what practices are we to do to liberate all these turkeys? Sorry for spamming, but I'm trying to find out the Mahayana way of liberation for these sentient beings.

I try to avoid eating Turkey. I prefer beef or ..just about any other meat..
But for a Vajrayana practitioner, there are ways of influencing the mindstreams of any sentient being towards Realisation, including ones that are eaten.
These are not stand alone practices however..they require Refuge with a teacher.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:46 am I was at one of my favorite restaurants today picking up some food to take home and there was a nun sitting and eating with one layperson. I will often pay for monastics meals when I see them at restaurants or if they are close to me in line at the grocery store, but this place isn't vegetarian and has only a few vegetarian dishes. i asked the worker if the nun had ordered meat and he said yes. I shook my head and he said that he thought it was very bad. I think I agree, but i still paid for their meal.

So judgemental.

You are Singaporean right?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I sense that it's time to dust off my ( true) anecdote about the time that I shared a plate of chicken wings with HH. the Dalai Lama. At a reception given for him when he was the guest of the Dean of Westminster in London..
And before anyone says that he was just being polite, I will add that the meal was cooked by H.H.'s cooks who had taken over the kitchen.

jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

bbq? buffalo? what level of spiciness? mahamudra meltdown? jalapeno-gini?
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

:idea:

Maybe we can start a petition to get President Trump to pardon the people instead of the turkey.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

jkarlins wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 pm bbq? buffalo? what level of spiciness? mahamudra meltdown? jalapeno-gini?
If memory serves it was like chicken from a good quality Chinese takeaway. But I will admit to being more occupied with thoughts like ' get me..eating with the Dalai Lama !' Than I was with the food.

:lol:

Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:46 pm
jkarlins wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 pm bbq? buffalo? what level of spiciness? mahamudra meltdown? jalapeno-gini?
If memory serves it was like chicken from a good quality Chinese takeaway. But I will admit to being more occupied with thoughts like ' get me..eating with the Dalai Lama !' Than I was with the food.

:lol:
Shame! Oh well, at least that chicken was liberated by Lord Chenrezig at least.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I don't doubt that.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”