Cultivating Virtuous Thoughts

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Tirisilex

Cultivating Virtuous Thoughts

Post by Tirisilex »

I've been searching online for some good practices on how to cultivate virtuous thoughts. So far I have been coming up dry. Does anyone know of a good site / book that gives you practices to help cultivate virtuous thoughts??
jkarlins

Re: Cultivating Virtuous Thoughts

Post by jkarlins »

Oh there are lots. I think you can find them in every form of Buddhism.

Check out the lojong thread. Lojong is a great way to become more sensitive to your own thoughts and then train them.

I feel like "Words of My Perfect Teacher" has some stuff on this, although I can't recall it offhand. Not sure how much is online, but there is Google books.

Jake
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

37 Practices of a Bodhisattva by Tokmé Zong-po
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Tirisilex

Post by Tirisilex »

I've been studying on the subjects of Thought Substitution and thought acceptance... I know that Mindfullness practices are thought acceptance practices. Thought acceptance is observing thoughts as they arise and not judging them or fighting them but just observing them and acknowledging that it is either an unwholesome or wholesome. Where thought substitution is replacing unwholesome thoughts with wholesome thoughts. I'm wondering if that Virtue cultivation is a Thought Substitution practice?
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Tirisilex wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:45 pm I've been studying on the subjects of Thought Substitution and thought acceptance... I know that Mindfullness practices are thought acceptance practices. Thought acceptance is observing thoughts as they arise and not judging them or fighting them but just observing them and acknowledging that it is either an unwholesome or wholesome. Where thought substitution is replacing unwholesome thoughts with wholesome thoughts. I'm wondering if that Virtue cultivation is a Thought Substitution practice?
loving-kindness meditation, Buddha smriti ou meditation on buddha's qualities, tonglen...
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Tirisilex wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:45 pm I've been studying on the subjects of Thought Substitution and thought acceptance... I know that Mindfullness practices are thought acceptance practices. Thought acceptance is observing thoughts as they arise and not judging them or fighting them but just observing them and acknowledging that it is either an unwholesome or wholesome. Where thought substitution is replacing unwholesome thoughts with wholesome thoughts. I'm wondering if that Virtue cultivation is a Thought Substitution practice?
Something like that. All of it kind of dovetails, it builds on itself. Concentration helps too, it supports the other practices of letting go and creating positive thoughts.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”