winning the lottery...???

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Fortyeightvows
Posts: 1933
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

winning the lottery...???

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 am

Has anyone here ever won the lottery?
How?

Please no sarcasm or scams.

shaunc
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by shaunc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:29 am

No. But I try religiously. Every Thursday morning before work I buy $30 worth of tickets in a few different games as well as the greyhound recorder.
My best win so far was $1200, division 3 which is 5 of the 6 balls. But my 2 biggest wins have been on the dishlickers, $10k and $8k.
As they say you've got to be in it to win it.

Simon E.
Posts: 5508
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Simon E. » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm

My late father used to buy £100 worth of lottery tickets every month. (This was after my mother died, he would not have dared while she was alive).

On one occasion he won £150.
This was enough to keep his ticket-buying behaviour going for years.

He was, as the Behaviourists say, on an intermittent schedule of reinforcement...very powerful.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17129
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Grigoris » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm

The best way to make money is to give money (especially to worthy objects). Take the money you waste on the lottery, give it to somebody that needs it and win a positive rebirth (or even enlightenment).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
cyril
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:47 am

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by cyril » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm
The best way to make money is to give money (especially to worthy objects). Take the money you waste on the lottery, give it to somebody that needs it and win a positive rebirth (or even enlightenment).
This might be a bit off-topic but then again, it might not be worth having its own thread. I met a few rich people who were also extremely stingy. One of them in particular was pathologically stingy. And I have a hard time fitting this into the karma-vipaka model. If their wealth was the result of practicing generosity in the past, shouldn't those guys also display "the cause similar to effect", that is a tendency towards being generous? I assume that karma that facilitated such a great fortune could only be strong therefore, in my judgement, it should have left some definite traces in those people's continuum.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17129
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Grigoris » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm

cyril wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm
The best way to make money is to give money (especially to worthy objects). Take the money you waste on the lottery, give it to somebody that needs it and win a positive rebirth (or even enlightenment).
This might be a bit off-topic but then again, it might not be worth having its own thread. I met a few rich people who were also extremely stingy. One of them in particular was pathologically stingy. And I have a hard time fitting this into the karma-vipaka model. If their wealth was the result of practicing generosity in the past, shouldn't those guys also display "the cause similar to effect", that is a tendency towards being generous? I assume that karma that facilitated such a great fortune could only be strong therefore, in my judgement, it should have left some definite traces in those people's continuum.
They may display great generosity towards certain individuals, or themselves, and be stingy towards others.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
cyril
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:47 am

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by cyril » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm
They may display great generosity towards certain individuals, or themselves, and be stingy towards others.
True. That's a good point. The daughter of the pathologically stingy guy was actually living like a princess.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -

pael
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by pael » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm
Take the money you waste on the lottery, give it to somebody that needs it and win a positive rebirth (or even enlightenment).
How to explain generosity for Protestants?
They don't like to hear about giving alms.
It reminds them about this proverb.
As soon as the gold in the casket rings
The rescued soul to heaven springs
Any advice.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

shaunc
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by shaunc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm
The best way to make money is to give money (especially to worthy objects). Take the money you waste on the lottery, give it to somebody that needs it and win a positive rebirth (or even enlightenment).
Many of us already practice generosity. We all know that the odds are in the houses favour but a lottery does give hope and also a bit of fun fantasizing about what if I did win. The other thing of course is imagine how many people I could help if I did win.

User avatar
tomschwarz
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:31 am

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by tomschwarz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:35 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm
...give it to somebody that needs it and win a positive rebirth (or even enlightenment).
I am pretty sure that this is not correct. The way "give to get" really works, is that you not only need to take care of someone, you really have to give up any hope of (you) doing anything that might bring any sort of achievement to you. The whole point is no you; you're nottn.

From there, of course, if there was any merit in your actions, you would dedicate that/ immediately give that merit away. Theme: there is no "you" to build up, no bank account (of positive karma). You got nottn. The only thing that makes any sense to do with your mind as a human (other than eat, breath, et) is to take care of others, on their terms, based on wisdom and skilful means. And "you" get no reward for that other than less "you", third noble truth, less suffering.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by DNS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 am
Has anyone here ever won the lottery?
How?
It depends on the game and the number of balls used in the machine and the range of numbers, but in general the odds of winning a lottery jackpot grand prize are about one in 200 million. So even if we had 2 million members here at DW, odds would be more likely that there still would not be a single lottery winner here. We don't have a lottery here in Nevada (the casinos won't let that happen), so when the multi-state powerball lottery gets high, thousands of people from Vegas and other Nevada cities will go to the state line and wait in 3 to 6 hour lines to buy a lottery ticket in California. I don't believe anyone has ever won from standing in those long lines and some of them bought thousands of tickets.

I travel to California occasionally to check on some property there or to attend Dharma events and on the way back, I might buy one or two tickets. The most I have ever won is about $50 for having 4 out of 6 numbers right.

Since the money comes so fast and in such a large amount, many lottery winners don't know how to handle the money and waste it on various things and then lead miserable lives and end up wishing they had never won. I believe there have been a few documentaries detailing those cases.

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Ricky » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:11 am

DNS wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:57 pm
Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 am
Has anyone here ever won the lottery?
How?
It depends on the game and the number of balls used in the machine and the range of numbers, but in general the odds of winning a lottery jackpot grand prize are about one in 200 million. So even if we had 2 million members here at DW, odds would be more likely that there still would not be a single lottery winner here. We don't have a lottery here in Nevada (the casinos won't let that happen), so when the multi-state powerball lottery gets high, thousands of people from Vegas and other Nevada cities will go to the state line and wait in 3 to 6 hour lines to buy a lottery ticket in California. I don't believe anyone has ever won from standing in those long lines and some of them bought thousands of tickets.

I travel to California occasionally to check on some property there or to attend Dharma events and on the way back, I might buy one or two tickets. The most I have ever won is about $50 for having 4 out of 6 numbers right.

Since the money comes so fast and in such a large amount, many lottery winners don't know how to handle the money and waste it on various things and then lead miserable lives and end up wishing they had never won. I believe there have been a few documentaries detailing those cases.
Who knows. Chances of winning could increase by accomplishing generous deeds and/or praying to the buddhas.

Simon E.
Posts: 5508
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Simon E. » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 am

Hmmmm. Various problems there.
1) You are assuming that the Buddhas act as celestial favour granters that can overide Karma.

2) You are assuming that winning the lottery would be an unmixed positive experience which will result in good outcomes all round.

The evidence is actually that many big lottery winners say that it ruined their lives in various ways...As David says above.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Ricky » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 am
Hmmmm. Various problems there.
1) You are assuming that the Buddhas act as celestial favour granters that can overide Karma.

2) You are assuming that winning the lottery would be an unmixed positive experience which will result in good outcomes all round.

The evidence is actually that many big lottery winners say that it ruined their lives in various ways...As David says above.
1. I didn't say they can overide karma but worshipping buddhas can generate merit. Isn't that a standard Mahayana belief?

2. Winning the lotto can result in much better circumstances if the winner can maintain financial discipline and invest his new wealth wisely. The people who end up miserable with their lotto win never had any discipline in the first place.

Bristollad
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:39 am

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Bristollad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 am
Has anyone here ever won the lottery?
How?

Please no sarcasm or scams.
Best way I've heard of playing the lottery was from a financial advisor here in the UK. What he did was picked his lottery numbers and paid what that pick would cost into a savings account. Each week he would play and put the money away into the savings account. If the numbers came up for a win, he would pay out the proper amount of winnings from the savings account. Over a 5 year period, he never had insufficient money in the savings acount to pay the winnings. However, not only had he not lost his initial stakes to the lottery company, he was also earning interest on his savings.

User avatar
Virgo
Posts: 3188
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: The Empire State

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Virgo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:58 am

Bristollad wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am
Best way I've heard of playing the lottery was from a financial advisor here in the UK. What he did was picked his lottery numbers and paid what that pick would cost into a savings account. Each week he would play and put the money away into the savings account. If the numbers came up for a win, he would pay out the proper amount of winnings from the savings account. Over a 5 year period, he never had insufficient money in the savings acount to pay the winnings. However, not only had he not lost his initial stakes to the lottery company, he was also earning interest on his savings.
He sounds like a lame.

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxPcu7F7gWg

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

User avatar
Virgo
Posts: 3188
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: The Empire State

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Virgo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:59 am

:rolling: just a joke Bristollad, I couldn't help it. He is a smart man.

:twothumbsup:

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxPcu7F7gWg

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17129
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Grigoris » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:13 pm

The positive merit that you cash in in order to win can be best utilised elsewhere and for more noble purposes. If you are not "in it" then you are not going to "win it" and fritter away your merit in temporary worldly gains.

And this excuse "think of how many people I can help if I win", pretty crappy. There are a million ways to help people that do not require money.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17129
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Grigoris » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Gambling is a mugs game and the lottery is designed so that the only winners ultimately are the lottery agencies.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Pero
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: winning the lottery...???

Post by Pero » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Bristollad wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am
Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 am
Has anyone here ever won the lottery?
How?

Please no sarcasm or scams.
Best way I've heard of playing the lottery was from a financial advisor here in the UK. What he did was picked his lottery numbers and paid what that pick would cost into a savings account. Each week he would play and put the money away into the savings account. If the numbers came up for a win, he would pay out the proper amount of winnings from the savings account. Over a 5 year period, he never had insufficient money in the savings acount to pay the winnings. However, not only had he not lost his initial stakes to the lottery company, he was also earning interest on his savings.
Hmmmm, this only works if your winnings are non-existent or very small. If you won the Eurojackpot for example, you could get up to 90 millions (if I remember right), how would you have paid that off from your savings account? It would only work if you were rich in the first place (and then why would you play the lottery?).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Post Reply

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests