Needed: Buddhist Terminology

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
SunWuKong

Needed: Buddhist Terminology

Post by SunWuKong »

what is the correct Buddhist technical term for "indescribable joy that arises as a result of the Dharma, from practice?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Malcolm

Re: Needed: Buddhist Terminology

Post by Malcolm »

SunWuKong wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:30 pm what is the correct Buddhist technical term for "indescribable joy that arises as a result of the Dharma, from practice?
Koolaid.
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

"Ananda". Like cool aid it rotts you'r spiritual teeth. It is a source of attachment and is ultimately suffering. No joy: no sorrow. No pleasure: no pain. :smile:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

White Lotus wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:00 pm "Ananda". Like cool aid it rotts you'r spiritual teeth. It is a source of attachment and is ultimately suffering. No joy: no sorrow. No pleasure: no pain. :smile:
Thanks!

Yeah, its kinda like the koolaide is laced with some kind of powerful mind altering love drug. It goes away on its own but for a moment things get "deep" LOL
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Try ‘sukha’. It is pretty well the contrary of ‘dukkha’. I know it is something that does arise from practice, but one is advised not to seek it or become attached to it. I learned to think of it as ‘the bliss you cannot have’, because trying to have it, prevents it.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Wayfarer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 am Try ‘sukha’. It is pretty well the contrary of ‘dukkha’. I know it is something that does arise from practice, but one is advised not to seek it or become attached to it. I learned to think of it as ‘the bliss you cannot have’, because trying to have it, prevents it.
I'm familiar with this (sukha) . Mostly in the context of sitting practice,,, could be totally the same thing but the issue of "scale" goes all wonky between sitting practice and full-blown regular life. If its so, then that's why the perception that it's "deep" - maybe

- thanks _
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

The experiences which occurred to me when I first started practicing meditation, were spontaneous and totally unexpected episodes of bliss. Often this would occur when doing something completely unrelated, like standing at a checkout queue, hours after. Woosh. There is it. Then gone.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”