Needed: Buddhist Terminology

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
SunWuKong

Needed: Buddhist Terminology

Post by SunWuKong » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:30 pm

what is the correct Buddhist technical term for "indescribable joy that arises as a result of the Dharma, from practice?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Malcolm

Re: Needed: Buddhist Terminology

Post by Malcolm » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:13 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:30 pm
what is the correct Buddhist technical term for "indescribable joy that arises as a result of the Dharma, from practice?
Koolaid.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

White Lotus

Post by White Lotus » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:00 pm

"Ananda". Like cool aid it rotts you'r spiritual teeth. It is a source of attachment and is ultimately suffering. No joy: no sorrow. No pleasure: no pain. :smile:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:54 am

White Lotus wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:00 pm
"Ananda". Like cool aid it rotts you'r spiritual teeth. It is a source of attachment and is ultimately suffering. No joy: no sorrow. No pleasure: no pain. :smile:
Thanks!

Yeah, its kinda like the koolaide is laced with some kind of powerful mind altering love drug. It goes away on its own but for a moment things get "deep" LOL

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 am

Try ‘sukha’. It is pretty well the contrary of ‘dukkha’. I know it is something that does arise from practice, but one is advised not to seek it or become attached to it. I learned to think of it as ‘the bliss you cannot have’, because trying to have it, prevents it.
Meditating is learning to love nothing.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:06 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 am
Try ‘sukha’. It is pretty well the contrary of ‘dukkha’. I know it is something that does arise from practice, but one is advised not to seek it or become attached to it. I learned to think of it as ‘the bliss you cannot have’, because trying to have it, prevents it.
I'm familiar with this (sukha) . Mostly in the context of sitting practice,,, could be totally the same thing but the issue of "scale" goes all wonky between sitting practice and full-blown regular life. If its so, then that's why the perception that it's "deep" - maybe

- thanks _

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:45 am

The experiences which occurred to me when I first started practicing meditation, were spontaneous and totally unexpected episodes of bliss. Often this would occur when doing something completely unrelated, like standing at a checkout queue, hours after. Woosh. There is it. Then gone.
Meditating is learning to love nothing.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”