Inspiring dreams??

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Tirisilex

Inspiring dreams??

Post by Tirisilex »

Has anyone had dreams about the Buddha that inspired you to practice more or give you more faith in Buddhism?
Vasana

Re: Inspiring dreams??

Post by Vasana »

Yes, this is usually a good thing. Put that inspiration to good use while it's still hot :smile:

There is also section in the Mahāratnakūṭa Sutra that deals with specific dreams and their meanings.

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.co ... rimination
Last edited by Vasana on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes. Encouraging dreams.

BTW: the 12 nights from 251h December to 6th January are supposed to bring divination dreams... (In German "Rauhnächte"). I tried to remember and note down my dreams in the last years. Some month's dreams were like a divination - but I wasn't able to construe them properly. And whenever I thought a dream was very clear and telling - it was nothing. Not the faintest thing happend that reminded of that dream.
But because I like it I continue practicing this. Not many but some dreams were very very helpful.
Tirisilex

Post by Tirisilex »

Vasana wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:45 pm Yes, this is usually a good thing. Put that inspiration to good use while it's still hot :smile:

There is also section in the Mahāratnakūṭa Sutra that deals with specific dreams and their meanings.

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.co ... rimination
I couldnt find an Interpretation of the dream I had when I was young. I saw one large Buddha in the middle and Hundreds around him. I don't know what this could mean.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Seems like you dreamed of a buddhafield?
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

I normally have bad dreams even if I'm chanting mantras the day before. Dreaming of a buddhafield would be quite inspiring to my practice.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Ricky wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 pm I normally have bad dreams even if I'm chanting mantras the day before. Dreaming of a buddhafield would be quite inspiring to my practice.
I have bad or stressful dreams as well especially since my mental workload has increased. This is only a sign for stresses coming out and being cleaned by sleep and dream. I think it's okay, like karma being cleansed. But it seems to be quite important to generate a good motivation after waking up. HHDL often said so and explained it to be cheerful / thankful for having woken up, and to create the determination to be helpful for the sentient beings and become a Buddha.

:smile: This is a good motivation after a night full of bad dreams. :lol:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Tirisilex wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:31 pm Has anyone had dreams about the Buddha that inspired you to practice more or give you more faith in Buddhism?

I've never had a dream about the Buddha that I recall but I've had hundreds of dreams involving various teachers, and they have indeed been very inspiring. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Tirisilex wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:31 pm Has anyone had dreams about the Buddha that inspired you to practice more or give you more faith in Buddhism?
I was reminded of a conversation I had once with Chime Rinpoche, he said 'never talk about your dreams with anyone except your teacher' and 'no matter how scary or negative they seem, you should always see your dreams in a positive light'.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”