Boddhisattva path

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Carlita

Boddhisattva path

Post by Carlita »

I am back and forth with living an boddhisattva. Im uncomfortable with "need" to help others when many people dont ask for help. That "helping" feels like Im overstepping my boundaries that I know more about their wellbeing tben they do.

How do you define as helping others without feeling the need to help them with X when they havent asked for it?

How do you find that balance as not to impose on other peoples needs and finding conviction helping without feeling I know more than they do about themselves?
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
:anjali:
Tiago Simões

Re: Boddhisattva path

Post by Tiago Simões »

Carlita wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 pm...
This topic deals with your question very well:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26563
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

tiagolps wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:35 pm
Carlita wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 pm...
This topic deals with your question very well:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26563
Thank you

Its more I can help but I dont have the motivation to. I was listening to Dharma talk and the nun mentioned we cant control if someone is responsive to our help; but, as examples of future boddhisattvas to have and live that vow we must want to. We help by our actions of generosity (which is in the suttas) but if there isnt an inner conviction and desire one cant help regardless of the recieving end.

The op in the post said he wants to help but he cant. He can help in many ways even though the recieving in for whatever means his/the dying peron's karma may nonvisibly work or not dispite his dying.

Though the OP has the desire based on a personal situation. Boddhissattvas help all people because suffering is not just for the dying. But the vows need conviction to help all sentient beings.

How does one have that conviction? Many people die today; my father is dying now (though not why I asked), regardless their response to my prayers I need the desire.

Does that come gradual?
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Here we go. Its more:

I was reading the suttas about this and wanted to know do you base your good deed on whether the other wants to recieve it or not or do you do the good deed for him based on your own ethics even if the other says no?

I know people have this "I dont care what people think" view but if you care about others what they think may shape how to help them on their terms not your own. Or?
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

Trying to help without clear knowledge of what is most helpful and how to apply it skillfully is more likely to cause problems than fix them.

The bodhisattva path consists of six activities practiced with sequential emphasis, although you learn about all six while focusing on one at a time. They are: Generosity; Discipline; Patience; Diligence; Meditation; and Wisdom.

As you practice them, these are the bodhisattva “deeds”. But once you’ve completed all six in order, culminating in wisdom (the realization of emptiness), they become the “perfections”. It is said that each perfection (paramita), in order, is as much more important, and as much more difficult, from the previous one as the difference in the water in a yak’s footprint and an ocean. The bodhisattva path is a long one.

It is very important to help ease suffering where you can, but you can’t “fix” samsara. Cultivate the strong intention to help, quietly and internally. Study the Dharma. Then practice giving what you can when situations arise.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Bodhidharma sat for many years in front of the Shaolin Temple Wall. Never doing anything further, this action brought his practice to the entire Far East. That's how its done.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”