Alternative Aroma Offerings Besides Incense?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
catlady2112

Alternative Aroma Offerings Besides Incense?

Post by catlady2112 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 am

My housemate has an allergy to incense and I am trying to find a replacement for an offering with an aroma. I've heard of people using perfume offering. I was thinking of some simple way to do this with perfume, such as everyday putting a drop of essential oil into something like a sponge which would allow it to give an aroma for about an hour, but a sponge seems kind of unpleasant to put on an altar. I prefer *not* to light candles because I live in earthquake country and I'm nervous I might forget to put it out. Any suggestions?

Monlam Tharchin

Re: Alternative Aroma Offerings Besides Incense?

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:47 am

Smokeless incense is a thing too, though I've never tried it personally.

Malcolm

Re: Alternative Aroma Offerings Besides Incense?

Post by Malcolm » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 am

catlady2112 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 am
My housemate has an allergy to incense and I am trying to find a replacement for an offering with an aroma. I've heard of people using perfume offering. I was thinking of some simple way to do this with perfume, such as everyday putting a drop of essential oil into something like a sponge which would allow it to give an aroma for about an hour, but a sponge seems kind of unpleasant to put on an altar. I prefer *not* to light candles because I live in earthquake country and I'm nervous I might forget to put it out. Any suggestions?
Essential oil, sandalwood would be best, using an aromatherapy diffuser is just fine.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra