Alternative Aroma Offerings Besides Incense?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
omph

Alternative Aroma Offerings Besides Incense?

Post by omph »

My housemate has an allergy to incense and I am trying to find a replacement for an offering with an aroma. I've heard of people using perfume offering. I was thinking of some simple way to do this with perfume, such as everyday putting a drop of essential oil into something like a sponge which would allow it to give an aroma for about an hour, but a sponge seems kind of unpleasant to put on an altar. I prefer *not* to light candles because I live in earthquake country and I'm nervous I might forget to put it out. Any suggestions?
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Alternative Aroma Offerings Besides Incense?

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Smokeless incense is a thing too, though I've never tried it personally.
Namu Amida Butsu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

catlady2112 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 am My housemate has an allergy to incense and I am trying to find a replacement for an offering with an aroma. I've heard of people using perfume offering. I was thinking of some simple way to do this with perfume, such as everyday putting a drop of essential oil into something like a sponge which would allow it to give an aroma for about an hour, but a sponge seems kind of unpleasant to put on an altar. I prefer *not* to light candles because I live in earthquake country and I'm nervous I might forget to put it out. Any suggestions?
Essential oil, sandalwood would be best, using an aromatherapy diffuser is just fine.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

catlady2112 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 am I was thinking of some simple way to do this with perfume
Offer the a brand new bottle, the whole bottle. You can even put a bow on it and offer it as a gift for the deity
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

catlady2112 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 am My housemate has an allergy to incense and I am trying to find a replacement for an offering with an aroma. I've heard of people using perfume offering. I was thinking of some simple way to do this with perfume, such as everyday putting a drop of essential oil into something like a sponge which would allow it to give an aroma for about an hour, but a sponge seems kind of unpleasant to put on an altar. ...
A reed diffuser like this

might be a good answer. Looks okay, and you can use any essential oil you like (though I would go for sandalwood myself).

You can probably buy the sticks separately if you already have the oil and a nice little vase. Just make sure your vase is oil-proof - the oil will soak through unglazed pottery and do horrible things to any polished wooden surface you put it on, as I found out the hard way. :emb:

:namaste:
Kim
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

For smokeless smell I like an aroma lamp. It's a candle under a small amount of water with some drops of natural essential oils. You can choose to use no artificial parfumes. And you can directly avoid those allergy-causing substances.

https://www.ecosia.org/images/?q=aroma%20lamp#id=_

Ah, this is an old thread.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

a candle under a small amount of water with some drops of natural essential oils.
That is one of the nicest things in the world.
Little bit of peppermint oil :smile:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am ...
Little bit of peppermint oil :smile:
I prefer lavander, tangerine or thyme.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”