Is it good not to exist?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

Re: Is it good not to exist?

Post by tomschwarz »

smcj wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:52 pm Once you have taken Refuge (and been safely steered clear of change in the direction of more suffering), isn’t that delightful?
Steered clear of change? Steered in the direction of more suffering? Can you give example of these two ideas?

Were you saying that you feel delight in understanding that your existance is unstable?
Last edited by tomschwarz on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Look out here comes existential angst)))))))

About that Boda.... when i was 12 to 18 y.o., i had so much fear of death and angst. Now at 50 yesrs old i have almost none. And it tickles me to accept and admit that the Buddhist practice of meditatìon ethics and wisdom (e.g. wisdom if non existance, "there is no sentient being at all", yes!!!!!!!!! Whoohoooooo fжена that shнцшзл!!!!!) are so true and powerful that even my true blue american flavor of existential angst can be quelched!!!!!!!! Unreal.....
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

)))))) ...i think that nagarjuna would ask, "what existential angst? There are no existential angsts"!!! Seriously my 2 cents, to get vslue out of the Buddhist practice of not existing )))))))))) inherently..... you have ro have some fun with it because the words are just not that accurate/multiple context-dependent definitions... but when you get to loosing self centered perspective or absolute love or acceöting the transient nature of your self and aöl things then "there are no sentient beings" type of "nothing exists" is understandable granted poetic license....
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

tomschwarz wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:43 pm
smcj wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:52 pm Once you have taken Refuge (and been safely steered clear of change in the direction of more suffering), isn’t that delightful?
Steered clear of change? Steered in the direction of more suffering? Can you give example of these two ideas?
The Shravakayana.
Were you saying that you feel delight in understanding that your existance is unstable?
As a teenager I used to take lsd. So I have a lot of firsthand experience with my own existence being unstable. I found it quite disconcerting.

But the change that is offered in Dharma is different it is is change away from suffering and towards stability.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Steered clear of change? Steered in the direction of more suffering?
oops.

Should have made it more clear. “Steered away from change that was going in a bad direction, meaning steered away from more suffering.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

The Fish and the Turtle (Is Nibbana Nothingness?)

"There now," exclaimed the fish triumphantly. "Didn't I tell you that this land of yours was just nothing? I have just asked, and you have answered me that it is neither wet nor cool, not clear nor soft and that it does not flow in streams nor rise up into waves. And if it isn't a single one of these things what else is it but nothing? Don't tell me."

"Well, well", said the turtle, "If you are determined to think that dry land is nothing, I suppose you must just go on thinking so. But any one who knows what is water and what is land would say you were just a silly fish, for you think that anything you have never known is nothing just because you have never known it."

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27807
Little Buddha ❁ Beyond Body & Mind

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

))) nice video and thanks for the reminder lucas
so smcj....

lsd anxiety, check
buddhism fixing that, check
dharma, cessation of suffering, brings stability, check

i really like the juxtaposition of anxiety and buddhist practice, i am just discovering how much.... let me just mention a few points that his holiness the dalai lama of tibet makes very often about this, one is his idea related to buddhist ethics practice. it is probably the strongest antidote that i know for drug related anxiety, as well as other types, like the now well known existential angst ))) or fear of death (not lol). ...its is this idea, that if we try to fool people, we will always carry this fear with us, that those people will come back and fool us. its a deep core idea about a person painting and creating their world. it can even be taken really deep, to this idea that "god" does exist, and it is in you, that it is your mind. and that you can not escape "god". you have to be good/kind/unconditional and sincere in loving of others, or you (god) will punish yourself, no two ways about it, no way out of it, even though you are the judge and jury, because ultimately the differentiation of self and other is a perspective that is untenable, proven by the very nature of "god", the nature of your mind: it is dependent in _all_ of its origination.

so there is that idea. then there is this water in water type of idea, that there is no good, that is not good. and there is no kind, that is not kind, there is no love, that is not loving, etc... so if you want to feel good or kind or love, you have to be good and kind and warm. his holiness the dalai lama often mentions that you can not feel true loving/caring and true aggressive anger at the same time. so if we want to reduce anger, we can focus on loving kindness. same type of idea.

i think those are core in anti-anxiety "medication". but that is just ethics. if i repeated those words above really fast, out load, 100,000 times, i would again get anxiety ))))))). enter silent sitting meditation/counter fixation on duality.

one more thing about lsd/drugs/alchohol/(tea and coffee?), his holiness the dalai lama said once that the mind is hard enough to become familiar with, without increasing the complexity with mind altering substances.

i think that it feels good to not exist, because what "exist"/ "not exist" mean in that context is to let go of self, to let go of self-centered attitude. that is the secret sauce that is missing from the american (usa) big mac. life is so complex, having a simple silver bullet like that is priceless. and "i do not exist" just helps me to remember, that soon i will be completely gone as an individual. that helps to put the focus on other things that feel much better, such as the four immeasurables: empathetic joy, equanimity, compassion and unconditional love. that is why i like to not exist.

you? other options?
gescom

Post by gescom »

tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Levels, steps of practice, attaining false attainment, attaining real but limited progress, still having ego centric perspective, and so on.... ....game over. What? That was not a video game! That was real! It was the path!!! It existed.

Gotcha. ....it seems that a really great level to attain is to feel the Buddha nature in all beings, especially my wife )))))

samantabadra, welcome, I have been waiting for you....

Ethics practice is the final answer in Buddhism for the level-up motivation/dogmatic perspective....
Berry

Post by Berry »

" This empty nature, the lack of intrinsic existence in phenomena, does not imply a blank naught in which there is nothing at all, as we find in the view of the nihilists. According to relative truth, all phenomena arise as a result of the interdependent conjunction of causes and conditions. This enables us to explain not only how samsara is formed but also it is possible to progress toward nirvana. There is no contradiction between the absolute nature and its infinite display and, because of this, one is free from the extreme of existence and that of nonexistence."

~ Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”