is doing spell is ok in Buddhism?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
ShineeSeoul

is doing spell is ok in Buddhism?

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Hi everyone

I am thinking from long time to do spell that I read it have some benefits for some people, things are really getting hard on me, and I wanted to do spell to change my life and to change the financial problem, I have old topic were I talked about that

so is it ok to do spell in buddhism? I don't know if its considered white magic, but I have seen those herbs and oil mixed with paper of money

Thanks for reading, please tell me if its ok or does it generate bad karma by doing so
Joseph

Re: is doing spell is ok in Buddhism?

Post by Joseph »

I'm not sure of the specifics , but intention is the main premise when looking at karma .

So if your intention is self-serving , and you feel satisfaction having completed such an act, I can only see it taking you further from the non-abiding nirvana.

:shrug:
"When you play in dirt, you get dirty" - Jimmy McNulty
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If you want to get rich then be generous.

If you want people to stop treating you badly, then treat other people well.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:54 am If you want to get rich then be generous.

If you want people to stop treating you badly, then treat other people well.
yeah I know that thing, but its like a very generic thing, I have tried to give as much as possible to any beggars I saw

but honestly I don't believe it would change the tough situation I am in, things are not as simple as that

I am very frustrated actually with my situation and my family also, but any way, I hope things will get better and spell might help, haven't try it but thinking to give it a try
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 ambut honestly I don't believe it would change the tough situation I am in, things are not as simple as that
So you do not believe in karma.

Good luck with your spells, you are going to need it.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:04 am
ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 ambut honestly I don't believe it would change the tough situation I am in, things are not as simple as that

I believe in Karma, but I believe its not as simple as that

you know things are more complicated and I am not sure if spell would work, but I thought of a giving it a try if it won't hurt
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:07 amI believe in Karma, but I believe its not as simple as that
The Buddha seems to think it is.

Joseph

Post by Joseph »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:07 am
Grigoris wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:04 am

you know things are more complicated and I am not sure if spell would work, but I thought of a giving it a try if it won't hurt
To paraphrase the Tathagata,

If you want to know what you did in the past, look at the present .

The same can be said about 'the future'.

:anjali:
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Joseph wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:10 am
Grigoris wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:04 am So you do not believe in karma.

yeah it could be
but I don't need another round of self blame, I already have enough round of that
between, I don't see how is these posts here is answering my question
but thanks any way
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

There’s a general rule against ‘the dark arts’ in the Vinaya, as I understand it - those including spell-casting, fortune-telling and so on. It is very much against the spirit of the teaching. After all the Buddha abhorred the Brahmin sacrificial rituals performed for the getting of karma. So by all means practice magic but never believe that this has anything to do with Dharma.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am
Joseph wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:10 am

yeah it could be
but I don't need another round of self blame, I already have enough round of that
between, I don't see how is these posts here is answering my question
but thanks any way
Well now you have the "Buddhist perspective" on action , you can make a relatively informed decision .

You can do whatever you want, any value placed on things is based solely on your mind deciding it to be so. I'm sure if you can maintain rigpa then there should be no problem, then again if you could do that ....

Maybe it could be helpful to see the hardship as the purification of previous karma ? :twothumbsup:
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Wayfarer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 am There’s a general rule against ‘the dark arts’ in the Vinaya, as I understand it - those including spell-casting, fortune-telling and so on. It is very much against the spirit of the teaching. After all the Buddha abhorred the Brahmin sacrificial rituals performed for the getting of karma. So by all means practice magic but never believe that this has anything to do with Dharma.
Thanks for the answer

I know actually part of Pali Tripitaka there is mention of low arts, but was that mentioned in Taisho tripitaka?
I don't believe spell is part of Dharma, I know it isn't, but just thinking if there is bad karma coming from it, the intention is good actually to help my self and my family, so thats why I am not sure about it

I have heard also some Buddhist monks practice witchcraft, specially in Thailand, don't know though if thats make it legit
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Everyone needs a bit of luck in their life, but the fact of the matter is, the harder you work the luckier you get.
I know this from my own experience and as a kid hanging around my father who trained boxers and greyhounds.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Depends on the "spell".

I am sure that many Christians would think of naga pujas, offerings to deities etc as dark, black magic.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

I see nothing wrong in Doing spells as Long as it doesn’t harm people or summoning up Entities ( because some might be not trustable ).

Hey grigoris, tell me what’s the difference between doing a spell ( which does not harm )to help one self and Doing jobs to help one self. You saying that he does not believe in karma is total bull as far as I can tell. Hey, remember conditions? Perhaps spells can sometimes help with conditions. Be generous, wait for conditions ( which spells might fasten up ) and boom, money everywhere!

For me, perhaps most people do not like magic , but I am a stern follower of the magical path ( ok not really but I am really supportive of it. )

Spells and doing jobs may help in fastening up the conditions for his success, and perhaps you might not like it as far as I can tell, Grigoris.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 pm I see nothing wrong in Doing spells as Long as it doesn’t harm people or summoning up Entities ( because some might be not trustable ).

Hey grigoris, tell me what’s the difference between doing a spell ( which does not harm )to help one self and Doing jobs to help one self. You saying that he does not believe in karma is total bull as far as I can tell. Hey, remember conditions? Perhaps spells can sometimes help with conditions. Be generous, wait for conditions ( which spells might fasten up ) and boom, money everywhere!

For me, perhaps most people do not like magic , but I am a stern follower of the magical path ( ok not really but I am really supportive of it. )

Spells and doing jobs may help in fastening up the conditions for his success, and perhaps you might not like it as far as I can tell, Grigoris.
You really have no idea what you are talking about.
(8) All of our sufferings derive from our habits
Of selfish delusions we heed and act out
As all of us share in this tragic misfortune,
Which stems from our narrow and self-centred ways,
We must take all our sufferings and the miseries of others
And smother our wishes of selfish concern.

(9) Should the impulse arise now to seek our own pleasure,
We must turn it aside to please others instead;
For even if loved ones should rise up against us,
We must blame our self-interest and feel it's our due.
The Wheel of Sharp Weapons.

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am I don't need another round of self blame, I already have enough of that, I don't see how is these posts here is answering my question
I think you've gotten some very good advice here. And in no way does karma involve self-blame; it's about recognizing and pro-actively addressing our ignorance about what causes happiness. According to Buddha we're all free to do whatever we want, but some actions lead to positive outcomes and others perpetuate our normal, afflictive condition. Dharma is about karma, not magic.
Your friends on DW wrote:If you want to know what you did in the past, look at the present. The same can be said about 'the future'.

If you want to get rich then be generous. If you want people to stop treating you badly, then treat other people well.

Intention is the main premise when looking at karma.

Maybe it could be helpful to see the hardship as the purification of previous karma.

Depends on the "spell".

By all means practice magic but never believe that this has anything to do with Dharma.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

In Vajrayana Buddhism, we have many practices (mantras, dharanis, hooking wealth puja, wealth vases, wealth pills, wealth Deity sang, wealth Deity sol-ka, etc.) for increasing both spiritual and mundane prosperity. Some of these practices are Sutric Mahayana and some are Tantric Mahayana. In any case, they are, at least from the Tibetan Buddhist point of view legitimate Buddhist practices.

That being said, I have no idea what kind of spell you are intending to use. From your avatar, I'm thinking you live in Korea. If so, I do know that a number of Tibean Lamas have centers or groups in Korea. Perhaps you could contact one of these and receive a "wealth" practice from them or commission them to do such a practice for you.

You can also go to the "prayers" page at www.mahasiddha.org to commission one of the wealth practices listed there. The most common Wealth Deity in Tibetan Buddhism is Dzambhala/Jambhala. So maybe look for that name in the list of practices offered.

In any case, good luck and best wishes. I will keep you in my prayers when I say my daily Wealth Deity practices.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Can't you just PRAY TO BUDDHA
Instead of all the mumbo-jumbo ?????
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 pm I see nothing wrong in Doing spells as Long as it doesn’t harm people or summoning up Entities ( because some might be not trustable ).

I have no idea what you are doing here.
You clearly have no idea what path to follow and yet want to advise others on how to become as confused as you are.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”