is doing spell is ok in Buddhism?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Pero

Re: is doing spell is ok in Buddhism?

Post by Pero »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:13 pm Can't you just PRAY TO BUDDHA
Instead of all the mumbo-jumbo ?????
One person's prayer to Buddha is another person's mumbo jumbo.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Pero wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:00 pm One person's prayer to Buddha is another person's mumbo jumbo.
True

:anjali:
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:28 pm
MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 pm I see nothing wrong in Doing spells as Long as it doesn’t harm people or summoning up Entities ( because some might be not trustable ).

Hey grigoris, tell me what’s the difference between doing a spell ( which does not harm )to help one self and Doing jobs to help one self. You saying that he does not believe in karma is total bull as far as I can tell. Hey, remember conditions? Perhaps spells can sometimes help with conditions. Be generous, wait for conditions ( which spells might fasten up ) and boom, money everywhere!

For me, perhaps most people do not like magic , but I am a stern follower of the magical path ( ok not really but I am really supportive of it. )

Spells and doing jobs may help in fastening up the conditions for his success, and perhaps you might not like it as far as I can tell, Grigoris.
I have no idea what you are doing here.
You clearly have no idea what path to follow and yet want to advise others on how to become as confused as you are.
So you’re telling me that just because I do magic , I stray from dharma? For me, when I do magic, I consider it mundane like jobs. I don’t see the harm in magic, will it cause harm to any being? Will it cause any harm? I am sure his Magic will only help himself.

Why do you consider Dharma and magic 2 different paths? Can’t magic be a hobby? Magic ( using self power and not contacting Entities )is just like technology now you know? Technology gives me the power to contact beings from far away, see them from far away, hear them from far away. Hell, technology even gives me the power to blow up a city with a touch of a finger. Well, technology helps me too, it gives me joy when I listen to music, see videos..

Now I suppose in the olden days, magic can be used for telepathy and for ones own pleasure ( just like Technology ). It can also be used for Burning villages ( just like how bombs could be exploded with technology these days ).

If you say magic ( not harming anyone ), is wrong... then technology is right?
DiamondMeru

Post by DiamondMeru »

Prayers, mantras, and spells could all be considered magic as they use repetitive chanting or reciting of a patterns of words along with intention to produce an effect upon our mind and reality.

But most feedback from this forum seems to view magic as a distraction from liberation of samsara I think. It might be fear of corruption, wherever there is power there is a chance of being swayed to the dark side. :stirthepot:
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 pm I see nothing wrong in Doing spells as Long as it doesn’t harm people or summoning up Entities ( because some might be not trustable ).

Hey grigoris, tell me what’s the difference between doing a spell ( which does not harm )to help one self and Doing jobs to help one self. You saying that he does not believe in karma is total bull as far as I can tell. Hey, remember conditions? Perhaps spells can sometimes help with conditions. Be generous, wait for conditions ( which spells might fasten up ) and boom, money everywhere!

For me, perhaps most people do not like magic , but I am a stern follower of the magical path ( ok not really but I am really supportive of it. )

Spells and doing jobs may help in fastening up the conditions for his success, and perhaps you might not like it as far as I can tell, Grigoris.
I also don't see anything wrong with spell, but my reason for adding this post here, is bcz I have heard of Buddha describing it as low arts

I also think the Karma is all about intention...so I am doing spell with purely good intention of helping my self and my family who have suffered a lot for years, and its not about not believing in Karma as other here pointing it to be

I also don't think its good to reach to spirits or any kind of these things, but I just wanted to do what I have seen in youtube of people putting oils and herbs with money, they haven't mentioned any spirits, so I don't think its related to them
Last edited by ShineeSeoul on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:04 pm In Vajrayana Buddhism, we have many practices (mantras, dharanis, hooking wealth puja, wealth vases, wealth pills, wealth Deity sang, wealth Deity sol-ka, etc.) for increasing both spiritual and mundane prosperity. Some of these practices are Sutric Mahayana and some are Tantric Mahayana. In any case, they are, at least from the Tibetan Buddhist point of view legitimate Buddhist practices.

That being said, I have no idea what kind of spell you are intending to use. From your avatar, I'm thinking you live in Korea. If so, I do know that a number of Tibean Lamas have centers or groups in Korea. Perhaps you could contact one of these and receive a "wealth" practice from them or commission them to do such a practice for you.

You can also go to the "prayers" page at www.mahasiddha.org to commission one of the wealth practices listed there. The most common Wealth Deity in Tibetan Buddhism is Dzambhala/Jambhala. So maybe look for that name in the list of practices offered.

In any case, good luck and best wishes. I will keep you in my prayers when I say my daily Wealth Deity practices.
so spells are allowed in Vajrayana Buddhism? I am curious bcz I am not Vajrayana, I am following Mahayana
This video is example of what I am thinking to use

as for me, unfortunately, I live in Muslim arab country, were buddhist temples is not allowed, nor any religious activity that is outside of islam, I think I have posted about that before, were I said I am ex muslim
Thanks for keeping me in your prayer, may you have blessing
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

I have prayed to Buddhas for long and many time

and I am sad to say nothing has changed :(
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

I am very sorry to hear about your struggles. It is very difficult to go through times when it feels like everything in your situation is coming undone. It's tempting to look for a solution from the realm of imagination and reaching for something more than "human" it its power to help you being things together again. It's a difficult feeling to get past and no amount of words from people who aren't there living it, and don't understand YOUR situation in a forum are going to address what you need to address there's but maybe the differences in points of view can stimulate food for thought, and can help provide external perspectives.

The reality is there is both a lot your can do and very little you can do, depending on which way you look at it. In Buddhist practice the ultimate cultivation is to stop generating karma, to be in a non-dualist state that is natural to your being human.

I use many tools to understand different aspects of mind and "magic" in my experience is the capacity to manifest reality from intention and action from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't understand the full mechanism of cause effect and doesn't have that clarity... It's important to have a good sense of one's own ignorance, and keep a healthy practice to "keep it real." The more clarity you have, the clearer the more potent the manifestation. But there is no good or bad that I have yet to find from an entirely moral standpoint... I've mostly found there is a practical approach of something being of benefit short medium and long term. Does this benefit me? Others? What are the risks and the outcomes of the various ways this spell could go? Who's moving what and what is the effect of those decisions?

Most folks mean well but don't have sufficient life experience with your situation to really meet your question the way you're asking. The answers will reflect theory and parroting things they've heard and formed opinions about. I wouldn't pay any attention to that noise, it can be more confusing than helpful, but I would listen to your inner voice as you read our responses, and decide what rings true to you and what is well-meant but not relevant.

If you aren't sure, I would strongly recommend respecting the ignorance you feel, and not taking actions hastily. I like things I can verify, personally. There are sometimes provocations that are not at all beneficial, so like you already said it's not so simple. I would caution you to look carefully into your heart and ultimately feel what you already know to be your truth. You don't want your situation to complicate more.

If you have a teacher, do ask their point of view. I really hope you can find a way to work through, and feel there are some people out here cheering for your journey. Expect the unexpected.

IMG-20180410-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20180410-WA0006.jpg (87.42 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
Last edited by Ogyen on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

DiamondMeru wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:25 am Prayers, mantras ... could all be considered magic...
pemachophel wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:04 pm In Vajrayana Buddhism, we have many practices (mantras, dharanis, hooking wealth puja, wealth vases, wealth pills, wealth Deity sang, wealth Deity sol-ka, etc.) for increasing both spiritual and mundane prosperity. Some of these practices are Sutric Mahayana and some are Tantric Mahayana. In any case, they are, at least from the Tibetan Buddhist point of view legitimate Buddhist practices.
Sadhana is not magic. Sadhana is the accumulation of merit and wisdom through wholesome actions of the body (mudra), speech (prayer and mantra) and mind (visualisation and aspiration/motivation).

Sadhana is just karma.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 am
DiamondMeru wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:25 am Prayers, mantras ... could all be considered magic...
Sadhana is not magic. Sadhana is the accumulation of merit and wisdom through wholesome actions of the body (mudra), speech (prayer and mantra) and mind (visualisation and aspiration/motivation).

Sadhana is just karma.
From a viewpoint that doesn't know how accumulation of merits and wisdom work, or cause/effect... It would look much Iike magic...

One could even go so far as to note from some viewpoints in other vehicles of Buddhism, "those crazy vajrayanists are calling on beings from other realms for protection, obstacle removal, and wealth" and all that jazz... Looks suspiciously magical from the outside without proper context.

Context is key.

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 am
Mantrik wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:28 pm

I have no idea what you are doing here.
You clearly have no idea what path to follow and yet want to advise others on how to become as confused as you are.
So you’re telling me that just because I do magic , I stray from dharma? For me, when I do magic, I consider it mundane like jobs. I don’t see the harm in magic, will it cause harm to any being? Will it cause any harm? I am sure his Magic will only help himself.

Why do you consider Dharma and magic 2 different paths? Can’t magic be a hobby? Magic ( using self power and not contacting Entities )is just like technology now you know? Technology gives me the power to contact beings from far away, see them from far away, hear them from far away. Hell, technology even gives me the power to blow up a city with a touch of a finger. Well, technology helps me too, it gives me joy when I listen to music, see videos..

Now I suppose in the olden days, magic can be used for telepathy and for ones own pleasure ( just like Technology ). It can also be used for Burning villages ( just like how bombs could be exploded with technology these days ).

If you say magic ( not harming anyone ), is wrong... then technology is right?
Choose your Refuge. Follow that path.
If you have Refuge in 'magic' you cannot simultaneously have Refuge in Buddha, nor sincerely follow a Guru with divided attention and deliberate adharmic attachment to another path.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 amSo you’re telling me that just because I do magic , I stray from dharma? For me, when I do magic, I consider it mundane like jobs. I don’t see the harm in magic, will it cause harm to any being? Will it cause any harm? I am sure his Magic will only help himself.
What you completely fail to understand is that mundane actions done under the influence of ignorance and self-centeredness generate the karma vipakka (consequence of action) which manifests as suffering. By using magic for your own self-centered needs you are generating the conditions for greater suffering in the future, just to satisfy your short term benefit.

That is exactly what the section I quoted explains.

His suffering, right now, may be as a consequence of his attempts to benefit himself through similar actions in the past. His turning to magic may well be based on habitual tendencies generated from similar actions in the past, actions that ultimately lead to his current suffering. Samsara is a never-ending cycle that we personally generate. We should ask WHY we are currently suffering, in order to find the answers as to how we will stop suffering both now and in the future.
(46) In short then, whenever unfortunate suffering
We haven't desired crash upon us like thunder,
This is the same as the smith who had taken
His life with a sword he had fashioned himself
Our suffering is the wheel of sharp weapons returning
Full circle upon us from wrong we have done.
Hereafter let's always have care and awareness
Never to act in non-virtuous ways.

(47) All of the sufferings that we have endured
In the lives we have led in the three lower states,
As well as our pains of the present and future,
Are the same as the case of the forger of arrows
Who later was killed by an arrow he had made.
And
(52) Frantically running through life's tangled jungle,
We are chased by sharp weapons of wrongs we have done
Returning upon us; we are out of control
This sly, deadly villain-the selfishness in us,
Deceiving ourselves and all others a well-
Capture him, capture him, fierce Yamantaka,
Summon this enemy, bring him forth now!

(53) Batter him, batter him, rip out the heart
Of our grasping for ego, our love for ourselves!
Trample him, trample him, dance on the head
Of this treacherous concept of selfish concern!
Tear out the heart of this self-centred butcher
Who slaughters our chance to gain final release!

(54) Hum! Ham! Show all your powers, O mighty protector.
Dza! Dza! Tie up this enemy; do not let him loose.
P'a! P'a! Set us free by your might, O great Lord over Death
Cut! Cut! Break the knot of self-interest that binds us inside.

(55) Appear Yamantaka, O wrathful protector;
I have further entreaties to make of you still.
This sack of five poisons, mistakes and delusions,
Drags us down in the quicksand of life's daily toil-
Cut it off, cut it off, rip it to shreds!

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I had another thought on this matter just as I was waking up this morning. I am generally in the camp that thinks magic is a contrary commitment and therefore in conflict with Dharma. However, as Ogyen pointed out, none of us can possibly know your situation. And the fact that you are asking strangers on a public forum indicates some level of doubt on your part.

But the other example that occurred to me is, I’ve never heard a Buddhist teacher say that when you are ill you should exclusively consider how you created the karma to make you ill and strive to create better karma to avoid similar illness in the future. If you’re ill, go to the doctor first. Take the cure. Then work on the karmic aspect. With all the advice you’ve received here, if you believe your intention for using wealth-generating magic is in line with Mahayana principles, then maybe it is the right course for you in this instance.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:30 pm
MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 amSo you’re telling me that just because I do magic , I stray from dharma? For me, when I do magic, I consider it mundane like jobs. I don’t see the harm in magic, will it cause harm to any being? Will it cause any harm? I am sure his Magic will only help himself.
What you completely fail to understand is that mundane actions done under the influence of ignorance and self-centeredness generate the karma vipakka (consequence of action) which manifests as suffering. By using magic for your own self-centered needs you are generating the conditions for greater suffering in the future, just to satisfy your short term benefit.

That is exactly what the section I quoted explains.

His suffering, right now, may be as a consequence of his attempts to benefit himself through similar actions in the past. His turning to magic may well be based on habitual tendencies generated from similar actions in the past, actions that ultimately lead to his current suffering. Samsara is a never-ending cycle that we personally generate. We should ask WHY we are currently suffering, in order to find the answers as to how we will stop suffering both now and in the future.
(46) In short then, whenever unfortunate suffering
We haven't desired crash upon us like thunder,
This is the same as the smith who had taken
His life with a sword he had fashioned himself

(47) All of the sufferings that we have endured
In the lives we have led in the three lower states,
As well as our pains of the present and future,
Are the same as the case of the forger of arrows
Who later was killed by an arrow he had made.
And
(52) Frantically running through life's tangled jungle,
We are chased by sharp weapons of wrongs we have done
Returning upon us; we are out of control
This sly, deadly villain-the selfishness in us,
Deceiving ourselves and all others a well-
Capture him, capture him, fierce Yamantaka,
Summon this enemy, bring him forth now!

(53) Batter him, batter him, rip out the heart
Of our grasping for ego, our love for ourselves!
Trample him, trample him, dance on the head
Of this treacherous concept of selfish concern!
Tear out the heart of this self-centred butcher
Who slaughters our chance to gain final release!

(54) Hum! Ham! Show all your powers, O mighty protector.
Dza! Dza! Tie up this enemy; do not let him loose.
P'a! P'a! Set us free by your might, O great Lord over Death
Cut! Cut! Break the knot of self-interest that binds us inside.

(55) Appear Yamantaka, O wrathful protector;
I have further entreaties to make of you still.
This sack of five poisons, mistakes and delusions,
Drags us down in the quicksand of life's daily toil-
Cut it off, cut it off, rip it to shreds!
Perhaps not so. I just don’t see why using magic is wrong , because why is using magic a vile thing and a path straying from dharma? I’ve seen some people getting helped with magic.. if I am sick, I create herbs for my own self benefit , to heal myself... I done a MUNDANE action with a thought for myself. Is that wrong?

And by ignorance, I would suppose you mean the inability to see the true nature of things... or is it more?
Jeff H wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 pm I had another thought on this matter just as I was waking up this morning. I am generally in the camp that thinks magic is a contrary commitment and therefore in conflict with Dharma. However, as Ogyen pointed out, none of us can possibly know your situation. And the fact that you are asking strangers on a public forum indicates some level of doubt on your part.

But the other example that occurred to me is, I’ve never heard a Buddhist teacher say that when you are ill you should exclusively consider how you created the karma to make you ill and strive to create better karma to avoid similar illness in the future. If you’re ill, go to the doctor first. Take the cure. Then work on the karmic aspect. With all the advice you’ve received here, if you believe your intention for using wealth-generating magic is in line with Mahayana principles, then maybe it is the right course for you in this instance.
^ This is what I am trying to say. Forgive me for I am not good at expressing my views and I often , if most, cannot get people to understand my point. Jeff’s view is exactly my point , to solve the problem using various ways to end your present suffering if it might help
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

ShineeSeoul wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:16 am
I have prayed to Buddhas for long and many time

and I am sad to say nothing has changed :(
Sometimes we have to do all the work ourselves. The solution to our problems sometimes requires OUR HARD WORK, instead of someone else doing it for us.

May I ask what EXACTLY is the problem your dealing with ?

Our lack of money can sometimes be a reflection of our own lack of generosity in the past/present.

Personally. ....magic scares me....when i was a young child, I used my mind to do things magically. .....it happened so easily that it scared me....so i never had the desire to get involved with those forces .
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:43 am Hi everyone

I am thinking from long time to do spell that I read it have some benefits for some people, things are really getting hard on me, and I wanted to do spell to change my life and to change the financial problem, I have old topic were I talked about that

so is it ok to do spell in buddhism? I don't know if its considered white magic, but I have seen those herbs and oil mixed with paper of money

Thanks for reading, please tell me if its ok or does it generate bad karma by doing so
you search for Tara practices, don't waste your time in mundane "spells" and formulas.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

I agree with the Tara practices.... I've personally seen the power of them, I've been able to remove obstacles which I had no idea how to overcome in a perfectly "mundane" way, for myself and others, and the wealth/prosperity has tripled over the years I've done these practices, and secondary causes have been generated as Greg pointed out from the samsara we generate from our own decisions. Strengthening confidence and trust in the practice and your own process may help loosen the habitual way of seeing and doing that got you into this very cycle.

I think it's very narrow to say, "x situation is due to lack of generosity" or what have you. Karma manifests in very complex ways and we don't have a tally running or the awareness to account for every action/reaction.

And I wholly agree with the point of seeing a doctor when you're ill. Changing metaphors, it's pointless to sit there and talk about who burned down your house and why it's burning while your house is burning down. Roll up the sleeves, put out the fire, and everything else can be prioritized after you have a situation neutralized from causing more harm.

A practical approach is always my preference. Words never fixed any problems in my life and I have a lifetime as a writer who loves words... So this is clearly NOT an intellectual exercise, but a request for help for a real-life problem solving puzzle for the original poster.

Pero

Post by Pero »

So you guys don't go see a doctor when you're ill? You guys just pray to Buddha and you're healed? When you do Dzambhala for wealth, Dzambhala somehow transforms your selfish intention into a pure one?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Pero wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:55 pm So you guys don't go see a doctor when you're ill? You guys just pray to Buddha and you're healed? When you do Dzambhala for wealth, Dzambhala somehow transforms your selfish intention into a pure one?
I guess at the last resort, when nothing else works, one resorts to different methods, until you figure it out ?

I will try the usual routine first (doctor). Then if that really doesn't work, I'll take it into my own hands and be my own doctor. Doctors these days are more concerned with treating than healing. A pill for everything. A band-aid, instead of getting to the source of the problem.

I thought this was a good article :

https://www.lionsroar.com/do-buddhists-pray/
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:47 pmI just don’t see why using magic is wrong...
Quite clearly you have not read anything I have posted. As such I will not be responding any more to you.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”