Karma Question

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Yavana

Karma Question

Post by Yavana »

Just had a quick question about karmic rewards that I wasn't too sure about and I was hoping some of the contributors here could help me figure this out:

If a person is born into a wealthy family, goes on to be successful in business and amass a fortune, lives a long life with good health, has many children, and becomes the ruler of a powerful nation, are these things the fruits of good karma or no? Looking for some clarification. Thanks.

:namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Karma Question

Post by Grigoris »

The Cicada wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 pm Just had a quick question about karmic rewards that I wasn't too sure about and I was hoping some of the contributors here could help me figure this out:

If a person is born into a wealthy family, goes on to be successful in business and amass a fortune, lives a long life with good health, has many children, and becomes the ruler of a powerful nation, are these things the fruits of good karma or no? Looking for some clarification. Thanks.

What do you think?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:19 pm
The Cicada wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 pm Just had a quick question about karmic rewards that I wasn't too sure about and I was hoping some of the contributors here could help me figure this out:

What do you think?
Sounds like the karma of a "chakravarti" or "wheel turning king," but I just wanted to get some wholesome DW confirmation on that.

:shrug:
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yes, the things you mentioned are the result of meritorious action. However, humans are a mixed bag of positive and negative karma. So one could experience all the positive things you mention but still experience other kinds of suffering (such as disease, disability, deformity, mental-emotional problems) and/or commit demeritorious actions in this life. In the scenario you describe, the person is burning through huge amounts of karma, similar to those born in the realm of the Devas. So unless they are consciously making lots of new good karma through meritorious actions (think Bill and Melinda Gates), they are likely to fall from this state of abundance and power to a more wretched state and possibly even the lower realms. Being the leader of a powerful nation is a very dangerous situation. One can make huge amounts of merit, but one can also make huge amounts of demerit. So, personally, I wouldn't wish for this kind of power until my Bodhicitta was really firmly developed.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

pemachophel wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:54 pm Yes, the things you mentioned are the result of meritorious action. However, humans are a mixed bag of positive and negative karma. So one could experience all the positive things you mention but still experience other kinds of suffering (such as disease, disability, deformity, mental-emotional problems) and/or commit demeritorious actions in this life. In the scenario you describe, the person is burning through huge amounts of karma, similar to those born in the realm of the Devas. So unless they are consciously making lots of new good karma through meritorious actions (think Bill and Melinda Gates), they are likely to fall from this state of abundance and power to a more wretched state and possibly even the lower realms. Being the leader of a powerful nation is a very dangerous situation. One can make huge amounts of merit, but one can also make huge amounts of demerit. So, personally, I wouldn't wish for this kind of power until my Bodhicitta was really firmly developed.
:good:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”