Angry mind does't go well with this blood

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

Angry mind does't go well with this blood

Post by tomschwarz »

Hello friends,

particularly interested in hearing from those pro-catharsis, pro-all-emotions people.... here his holiness the dalai lama said:

"peace of mind is very important, so that shows, blood, this body goes very well peace of mind, agitated mind, angry mind not go well with this blood, physical"

do some feel that angry mind is perfect as is? unavoidable? "just go with it"? accept all emotions? or do emtions need to be "tackeled" as his holiness the dalai lama often says?

see 1:31:45
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
muni

Re: Angry mind does't go well with this blood

Post by muni »

Anger like emotions can be used on the path to recognize nature. However anger already flowing into actions is veiled by an experience of independent inherent self, that experience of independence is the real cause of anger. H H Dalai Lama said once when we are self-centered, we always think me, me, mine, my, I. This gives us easier a heart attack or other health issue. Now his emphasis is on science, sitting there with Russian scientist. Science is easier reaching every fellow; nonbelievers or all kind of cultures, because it is not so much conditioned or taint by backgrounds-cultures and more people accept it easier.

Anger seems unavoidable when we are lost in the phenomenon-appearance, which is then colored by our anger. All is then anger. Because we are used to see the cause of the trigger or our disgust in others, in an object, while it has its base in own mistaken identification and so perception.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Well said muni. Lets check our context. We are humans yes? We were born and will die in a short time, yes? We faught wars, slaughter children, female animals who are pregnant, eat baby animals such as viel caviar and so on. Then comes our own children (anger) our friends at work (anger). Some parents are very negative....
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
muni

Post by muni »

Then comes our own children (anger) our friends at work (anger). Some parents are very negative....
It asks some effort to "remain aware" ( not of something). And "those" feeling for example accused by such ( being negative) is as well going in the dream trap of identifying with I-thought-feeling, then awareness again is hidden.

But it can perhaps also help to strengthen familiarization; awareness as being "the refuge" free from triggers.

The space were thoughts come-go is not conditioned by thoughts, not taint, is trigger-free.
PSM

Post by PSM »

Ordinary anger is obviously not good, but its nature is mirror like wisdom - the wisdom is the useful part, not anger per-se. There are techniques to recognise this wisdom in anger, but this means that the dualistic, samsaric anger collapses.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

PSM wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 am Ordinary anger is obviously not good, but its nature is mirror like wisdom - the wisdom is the useful part, not anger per-se. There are techniques to recognise this wisdom in anger, but this means that the dualistic, samsaric anger collapses.
Ah my Friend PSM....True that, the collapse.

....but riddle me this, is the mirror like wisdom/anger transformation simply seeing, that all of one's anger was internal? That it was/is anger towards, and in the context of one's self, hence the "mirror?
PSM

Post by PSM »

tomschwarz wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 pm
PSM wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 am Ordinary anger is obviously not good, but its nature is mirror like wisdom - the wisdom is the useful part, not anger per-se. There are techniques to recognise this wisdom in anger, but this means that the dualistic, samsaric anger collapses.

....but riddle me this, is the mirror like wisdom/anger transformation simply seeing, that all of one's anger was internal? That it was/is anger towards, and in the context of one's self, hence the "mirror?
Not really. It's the "flavour" of the energy involved in anger once the grasping has vanished. Similar to the other wisdoms like all-accomplishing wisdom and their relationship to samsaric emotions. You need very practical instructions on how to recognise it because it's very experiential. Tsoknyi Rinpoche has taught it as part of his teachings on Dzogchen enhancement practices, for example. They're in many texts but a great one is the last volume of Light of Wisdom.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

PSM wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 pm
tomschwarz wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Not really. It's the "flavour" of the energy involved in anger once the grasping has vanished. .
I am aware of this teaching. So if the mirror is not simply the realisation "i am Angry with me", but rather a "flavor" of anger without attachment (e.g. with discernment instead) then why the mirror Analogy? Is there at least some reflection involved?
PSM

Post by PSM »

tomschwarz wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:27 am I am aware of this teaching. So if the mirror is not simply the realisation "i am Angry with me", but rather a "flavor" of anger without attachment (e.g. with discernment instead) then why the mirror Analogy? Is there at least some reflection involved?
It's to do with the precision and clarity of a reflection.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”