Reasonable things to tattoo

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Re: Reasonable things to tattoo

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:24 pm Image

Kannon.

OMG !!!!!
VERY BEAUTIFUL! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
IS THAT YOU ?????
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Grigoris wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm
amanitamusc wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:48 amCan we see?

tattoo.jpg
This is very beautiful :heart:
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:50 am
Wicked Yeshe wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:24 pm Image

Kannon.

OMG !!!!!
VERY BEAUTIFUL! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
IS THAT YOU ?????
Nope. I have no tattoos. But i agree. One if the best i've seen.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

The amount of money that tattoo cost could have fed a hundred monks for a year
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:03 am The amount of money that tattoo cost could have fed a hundred monks for a year
Depends on what country you live in... 45 hrs of tattooing cost me the equivalent of about 200USD.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Ogyen wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 am
Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:03 am The amount of money that tattoo cost could have fed a hundred monks for a year
Depends on what country you live in... 45 hrs of tattooing cost me the equivalent of about 200USD.
The ones you have are worth every penny ;)
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

I suspect maybe this is an error and you meant 4-5 hrs... unless you got one helluva deal. I had a former thangka artist do some script on my arm, and it cost approx the same. If you got all the work done in your pic for that price in total I'd be really interested to learn who inked ya.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am
I suspect maybe this is an error and you meant 4-5 hrs... unless you got one helluva deal. I had a former thangka artist do some script on my arm, and it cost approx the same. If you got all the work done in your pic for that price in total I'd be really interested to learn who inked ya.
No, it is not a mistake. 45hrs. My tattoo artist is a great friend of mine, and I got a break on price, but overall, had it been full price still I wouldn't have been looking at more than 300-350dls... Costs in Baja are not the same as prices in the US... Given many factors, for starters minimum wage in mx is 12 bucks a day. So in its equivalent a few hundred dollars is not cheap locally. But of course compared to what US tattoos cost it will seem very cheap.

Por Siempre Tattoos in Ensenada is the best tattoo parlor I've found this side of the border. You can see their page on FB. They are talented artists with superb attention to hygiene and they're real pro's. It's the real deal.

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Kris

Post by Kris »

Ogyen wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm
Palzang Jangchub wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am
No, it is not a mistake. 45hrs. My tattoo artist is a great friend of mine, and I got a break on price, but overall, had it been full price still I wouldn't have been looking at more than 300-350dls... Costs in Baja are not the same as prices in the US... Given many factors, for starters minimum wage in mx is 12 bucks a day. So in its equivalent a few hundred dollars is not cheap locally. But of course compared to what US tattoos cost it will seem very cheap.

Por Siempre Tattoos in Ensenada is the best tattoo parlor I've found this side of the border. You can see their page on FB. They are talented artists with superb attention to hygiene and they're real pro's. It's the real deal.
Great deal. Cause yeah, nowhere in US can we get 45 hours of tattoos for $200 unless it's some chain gang ink.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Ogyen wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm Por Siempre Tattoos in Ensenada is the best tattoo parlor I've found this side of the border. You can see their page on FB. They are talented artists with superb attention to hygiene and they're real pro's. It's the real deal.
These guys, right?

https://www.facebook.com/porsiempretatuajes/

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

AFAIK, the danger is in having a tattoo that could face downward at any point (e.g., underneath you on a bed, or something similar), or that would touch the floor when you prostrate.

We don't know the karma that is created in these situations, so it's better to be respectful & not do it, or take steps to work around these considerations if it's already done.

As I recall, Lama Zopa advised someone with a large Chenresig tattoo to never do full-length prostrations except in his mind, and to incorporate the tattoo in his visualization as a manifestation of the wisdom being. Interesting solution, meaning there's no one-size fits all, but I admit I prefer to play it safe.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:31 pm
Ogyen wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm Por Siempre Tattoos in Ensenada is the best tattoo parlor I've found this side of the border. You can see their page on FB. They are talented artists with superb attention to hygiene and they're real pro's. It's the real deal.
These guys, right?

https://www.facebook.com/porsiempretatuajes/
Yes.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”