Enlightenment

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
shanyin

Enlightenment

Post by shanyin »

How do you attain enlightenment in Mahayana Buddhism?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Enlightenment

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Study the teachings, and follow the teachings.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

A breakthrough koan is a good start.
shanyin

Post by shanyin »

Can you give me a breakthrough koan and explain how to meditate on it?
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

It's better if you ask a zen teacher. I also don't want to risk sharing my secrets with wimps. But, why not be a little naughty..

Just ask as fast as possible "the f# is this sh*t?" until kensho is achieved. That's it.

:jedi:
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Also, it happens on the outbreath. Remember that.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:10 pm It's better if you ask a zen teacher. I also don't want to risk sharing my secrets with wimps. But, why not be a little naughty..

Just ask as fast as possible "the f# is this sh*t?" until kensho is achieved. That's it.

:jedi:
:jumping: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

shanyin wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 am How do you attain enlightenment in Mahayana Buddhism?
Nothing to attain.

:buddha1:

:rolleye:

Sorry. Bad, cryptic Dharma joke.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Queequeg wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:34 pm
shanyin wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 am How do you attain enlightenment in Mahayana Buddhism?
Nothing to attain.

Divide by shunya.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

The Cicada wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:21 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:34 pm
Nothing to attain.

Divide by shunya.
Don't forget to carry the one.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

The Cicada wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:21 pm Divide by shunya.
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebr ... -undefined
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Like Douglas Hofstadter or something. :hug:
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I'm sure you will get better answers if you are a bit more specific about what you want to know.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

your question is excellent and fundamental.

thank you for asking it.

but please be more specific: why do you mention Mahayana? there is only one enlightenment.

butt your right: there are different paths. in Mahayana there is a specific path as opposed to Theravada. is this what you would like to know?

Or are you as an individual asking what is the best way for you to reach enlightenment within the Mahayana tradition?

In my view, Buddhism is a no holds barred search for the truth, no matter where it may lead. there is a practice to this end. do not focus so much on enlightenment as on acquiring knowledge through practicing the jhanas.

let's talk more when you explain further.
metta
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

By being a Bodhisattva, and waiting for everyone else to attain Enlightenment first .

:shrug:

https://www.lionsroar.com/the-bodhisattva/
shanyin

Post by shanyin »

Well I believe I entered a state of samadhi or jhana during meditation on the sensation of breathing. If it wasn't the first jhana, I feel like I got a glimpse of Jhana, or bliss. I don't remember it now and can barely sit for more than 1 minute. What is jhana in Mahayana Buddhism? I am currently reading Yin Shun's Teachings in Chinese Buddhism. I like it. I like the tradition that I took refuge in, and vows. I liked the vows but I am lacking faith in my own potentiality for Buddhahood because I smoke ciggarettes alot and give into breaking the 5th precept.
shanyin

Post by shanyin »

I think I got a glimpse of jhana during Samatha meditation, unless I was experiencing the first jhana or the state of samadhi. I was very happy and peaceful.

I like the tradition that I took refuge in, and am reading "Teachings in Chinese Mahayana Buddhism." I took vows to acheive enlightenment as fast as I can and to keep precepts. I do not remember my vows.

Does enlightenment have something to do with emptiness? Sometimes when I think of the concept of emptiness in Buddhism I think of a connection to nature.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

It needs a certain snap. Like a twig breaking or ice cracking. I knew i was looking for something when i first started meditating, fasting, doing yoga etc.

Then it comes. The perfection.
philji

Post by philji »

Buddhists can often be so smart assed. Just look at the answers here to what i guess is a very serious question. Best find a teacher who can guide you than anonymous girls and boys on a forum.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

The question is serious but the answer is funny. That's why.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”