Buddhism on actors

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

Re: Buddhism on actors

Post by tomschwarz »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:44 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:45 am I don't think there was much separation between the two in the Buddha's time - I think they were all "entertainers" in our terms, singing, dancing, acting, juggling and whatever else they could do to put on a show, but I'm not quite sure how I arrived at that belief. Hints in the sutras and Jataka Tales, probably, plus knowing a bit about similar travelling groups in other pre-modern cultures.

:namaste:
Kim
It helps to think about the economics of the societies. Traditionally, wealth has meant land holdings. If you have land, its because you either claimed it and defended it, or were given it by someone who claimed it and defended it... Hence warriors sat at the top of social hierarchies. And subsequently, the religious gained land from the warriors... there are plenty of cynical explanations as to how, for instance, the Catholic Church became one of the largest real estate companies in the world... after a life of killing, raping, and pillaging, who can offer solace in the afterlife? "How much land will purify my misdeeds?"...

If you didn't own land, you needed to have skills that you could perform in exchange for the things you need to live. The emergence of division of labor happened during the so-called axial age, and coincided with the appearance of Buddha, Lao Tzu, Confucius, Plato, Aristotle... Among the unlanded, craftsmen and merchants sit at the top of the social hierarchy. The nature of the work requires education, care, discipline, patience and restraint... qualities we associate with these teachers, but also with bourgeoisie, across civilizations. Actors and performers are also part of this unlanded class, but consider the skills that lead to their success - its about tickling people's sensibilities, stimulating their emotions, in a way that makes them feel motivated to make offerings to keep the performers coming back. Its about pleasing the audience on various sensual levels...

Think of the traveling circus... the stereotypes about carnies... Shows that also often included "adult entertainment" and prostitution... The whole operation had a seedy air about it... Actors and other performers... the way that they used their bodies and minds, acting on stage and then being courtesans off stage. The type of social atmosphere created by these activities things are affronts and threats to the values of the merchant and artisan classes.

Traditionally, its been the aristocrats who have associated with performers socially. People who are not required to subscribe to the bourgeois standards... Who have so much that the rules don't apply to them... and actors and performers adorn the environments they create, enabling it.

Buddhism has, from the beginning, been a merchant and artisan class religion, a suburban religion. Performers undermine the values of the class. You will not be a successful merchant or artisan during the day if you spend your evenings carousing. Its just the limitations of how we are built. The old grasshopper and ant story.

The Lotus Sutra presents a pretty good picture of the society in which the Mahayana emerged... "Sons and Daughters of Good Families"... Stay away from these people...
“What is the sphere of the relationships of the bodhisattva mahāsattva? The bodhisattva mahāsattva should not consort with kings, princes, ministers, and chief officials. He should not consort with heretics, brahmans, Jains, and others, or with worldly writers, critics of poetry, materialists, or extreme materialists. Nor should he become acquainted with pranksters, boxers, wrestlers, clowns, and various jugglers, nor with outcastes and people who raise boars, sheep, chickens, and dogs, nor with hunters, fishermen, and those with evil conduct. A bodhisattva should teach such people the Dharma if they come to him, but expect nothing.
Lotus Sutra, Peaceful Practices

Who is left out of that list? Merchants and Artisans... people who make "honest" livings, who don't kill for a living, who don't lounge around in harems, people who don't stimulate others for a living...
True human subjective reality/virtual reality show. If you are interested, add dinosaurs, plant life and bacteria to flush out the "sentient being" aspect of that ontology (nature of being/relationships between beings/groups).

Because buddhism is for them too. For example, t rex most likely was landed and raped and pilaged like a catholic crusader of times past. It is quite natural, horrible and natural. You think its an ego-related poison? Not always. Look at your garden how every plant climbs over the other to be "landed" with star radient energy and block it from others so their roots will not encroach....

And at thr same time there is the harmony of firework like timing: tulips then pionis then roses, taking turns. In buddhism plants do not feel pain. So they are not so sentient (but maybe a bit see man with tree on head).

So those teachings about staying awsy from bad people.... its always at least a bit intetesting, but more for beginners and children. For example, imagine if you are in a higher stage of thd formless realm or a higher bumi of thd bodisatva path, surely a great achievement would have been no attachment to equinimity and peace (of mind).

Which, about actors, brings us to the correct approach/relationship to any being: warm heart and compassion mitfühlen сочувствие what does an actor friend of yours feel? Fear? Pride? Adrenalin? Lonliness? Surely they need a friend with a good ear, to listen to their feelings and so on....
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Minobu wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 pm
Queequeg wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:50 pm
Minobu wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Well if i read these quotes and reflect on the aim of Nichiren Shonin, The Votary of the Lotus Sutra , Bodhisattva Jogyo in the flesh, what will i realize.

Simply put that listening to music, living as an householder , watching HBO , tuning into CNN to see Trump act as boorish and barbaric as he can possibly muster....is all enlightened ...for the practice turns all this desire activity into learning and enlightenment.

Desire equals enlightenment ..

We need , as householders to eat healthy heapin' helpin' of this stuff whilst we practice a daily dose of gongyo and daimoku with a splash of study and reflection ...everything Nichiren taught aims at living in this realm of desire. and coming out the other end enlightened.

Though there is a priesthood in nichiren shonin's Schools ...the real aim was towards the householder mired in the realm of desire...

i recall him saying something about chanting whilst under the mandarin duck quilt....really bad quote on my part...but it was some bed blanky with ducks on it that husband and wife had sex under in olden days Nippon .
You have to be careful about mixing teachings. I mentioned above, the Buddha taught upaya - promising toys outside a burning house, hiring his son to clean toilets, sending word that he is dead, teaching beings that the tripitaka and provisional Mahayana lead to liberation, teaching that he was born at Lumbini, awoke at Gaya, turned the Wheel at Sarnath, and passed away at Kusinagara.

When we're talking about "Klesa are Bodhi" ("Earthly Desires are Enlightenment") and Samsara is Nirvana, these are teachings from a different, subtler view. In this view there is acknowledgment that the causes and effects that are seen as samsara are interminable and without beginning. The churning is not good nor bad nor neutral. It is such. From this view, purification is a pointless austerity. With this view, though, all vanity is said to simply drop. One no longer strives on the compulsive drive of ego, because the ego is short circuited. The terms by which ego are defined are unmistakably undermined and so action based on those terms is known to be pointless.

Its something like the Overview Effect, except at the level of being. Having an insight into the emptiness and dependently originated nature of reality undermines everything. In the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha doesn't point by point counter mistaken views. He simply opens up his view, explaining that his lifespan is immeasurable, and the implication is that if samsara is immeasurable, and we've been churning in samsara since time without beginning, our lifespan is also immeasurable. If you lifespan is immeasurable, how do the trivialities of this life compare? What is their scale and meaning in that immeasurable context? Zhiyi compares it to the petals falling off the Lotus flower to reveal the fruit.

To bring this back to Actors... In the scheme of time without beginning, what is the significance of an actor and their charade? You see through it for what it is. It no longer has the same effect on you.

That said, we are still dependently originated beings who are very much dependent on the concrete circumstances around us. We still need to worry about eating bad food and taking in bad ideas.
you know i get you..and the teaching...but you also know me and my worries for others ...

the middle way...

actors are not evil...nor is their craft....

if you resolve to define them as such ...what do you have...

look at our friend here...ShineeSeoul here...mired in the belief demons were involved somehow , he does not really tell us the exact event...alas in his choice of music and some involvement of demons something he has not told us but hinted at happened.

i worry for him...he is stepping over the middle path and we see his angst....he believes the buddha taught actors and their craft is evil....

for ShineeSeoul it is real...upaya is not on the radar here....
so whats your problem? are you really worried? please worry about your self, I don't need someone else to tell me what I need to believe in or do in my personal life, I am talking about my experience and trying to relate it to what Buddha has teached us in the sutta mentioned
you appear to have such huge issue about music or entertainment industry being harmful, then I am sorry for you, but its the truth and this is what Buddha has teached us, you need to cut your attachment to the entertainment industry, please worry for your self, because I don't need someone else to worry for me :smile:
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 pm
Minobu wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 pm for ShineeSeoul it is real...upaya is not on the radar here....
I think you are being unfair to ShineeSeoul. S/He can speak for himself.
he is attached to the entertainment industry, so he couldn't deal with different opinion/experience, he need to work on that obviously rather than worrying on others
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:20 am
so whats your problem? are you really worried? please worry about your self, I don't need someone else to tell me what I need to believe in or do in my personal life, I am talking about my experience and trying to relate it to what Buddha has teached us in the sutta mentioned
you appear to have such huge issue about music or entertainment industry being harmful, then I am sorry for you, but its the truth and this is what Buddha has teached us, you need to cut your attachment to the entertainment industry, please worry for your self, because I don't need someone else to worry for me :smile:
oki doki..
when i say i worry for you...it also includes everyone that actually believes that actors and their craft, or music and dancing is in and of itself inherently evil.

everything can be abused...but to say the buddha does not want us to listen to music or watch a stage act...i cannot go along with this...

To sit back and rest in some edict by Buddha that acting, singing, music , dancing is inherently evil...
for me is a worry.....

look...i am not attacking you or am i saying what ever happened to you...

but there really is nothing demonic about music...and i cannot Fathom!!! Buddha the care taker of the universe...saying so...

please stop referring to my discussion as some personal attack...thats a reach dude.

the words demonic and thanking god caught me as a little over the top..

and as the discussion progressed i see that some of us...believe music and dancing and singing and stage acts are inherently evil as proclaimed in the name of Buddha...

I've been shocked more than once here at this forum...i state my shock. ..people take it as a personal attack and forget that it is my opinion...i don't take what you say as a personal attack even though you are discussing my person and not my post.......i ignore it.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I think different traditions will hold different perspectives on this question.

For this reason, it may not be possible to have anything other than a really, really weird conversation like the one we've seen so far on this topic.
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Minobu wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:09 pm
oki doki..
when i say i worry for you...it also includes everyone that actually believes that actors and their craft, or music and dancing is in and of itself inherently evil.

everything can be abused...but to say the buddha does not want us to listen to music or watch a stage act...i cannot go along with this...

To sit back and rest in some edict by Buddha that acting, singing, music , dancing is inherently evil...
for me is a worry.....

but there really is nothing demonic about music...and i cannot Fathom!!! Buddha the care taker of the universe...saying so...

please stop referring to my discussion as some personal attack...thats a reach dude.

and as the discussion progressed i see that some of us...believe music and dancing and singing and stage acts are inherently evil as proclaimed in the name of Buddha...

I've been shocked more than once here at this forum...i state my shock. ..people take it as a personal attack and forget that it is my opinion...i don't take what you say as a personal attack even though you are discussing my person and not my post.......i ignore it.
I didn't know that thanking God makes other worry lol...its weird thing I came to learn
but any way, regardless, you need to respect different opinion, each person have different experience and out look on things, so rather than bashing on the opinion you disagree or don't understand, you need just to state your opinion in respectful way, thats it, rather then worrying or being shocked

lastly, lets agree to disagree :smile:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:48 pm
oki doki..

for me is a worry.....

I didn't know that thanking God makes other worry lol...its weird thing I came to learn
but any way, regardless, you need to respect different opinion, each person have different experience and out look on things, so rather than bashing on the opinion you disagree or don't understand, you need just to state your opinion in respectful way, thats it, rather then worrying or being shocked

i don't buy into the whole lets agree to disagree thing...

if we are all truly trying to learn then what we say to each other should be discussed , analyzed to death , and hashed out ....
I didn't know that thanking God makes other worry lol..
one has to be careful in defining God...thats all...
, so rather than bashing on
again i am not bashing on anything ...if you feel that way ...then yeah i did do so ,but did not mean to...

I hope and pray that we all are supposed to be helping each other...pointing out what we write here...how it can be interpreted, adding to...detracting from...mish mashing away...and coming out with some form of learning experience...

for me i'm glad stuff is said that i get shocked over....shock and awe here is a good thing....

i like to think we all are interconnected in the school of buddha...and buddha works through us sometimes in order for someone reading to pick up on something...

it's all good....should be thought of that way is my opinion.....

so with all my heart!
cheers fellow traveller. :group:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

My opinion is....we are all professional actors...deserving of Oscars. ..
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:32 am My opinion is....we are all professional actors...deserving of Oscars. ..
That's the problem.

Hiring surrogates doesn't help.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

smcj wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:11 am
Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:32 am My opinion is....we are all professional actors...deserving of Oscars. ..
That's the problem.

Hiring surrogates doesn't help.
Well...how about this :

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/AN/AN5_177.html

Is acting included here ?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Well...how about this :

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/AN/AN5_177.html

Is acting included here ?
Nice job of referencing.

As my teacher said, there are black professions that a Buddhist should not engage in, like butcher or soldier. They are professional killers. But then there are others that are dark grey, like acting.” The point being that Dharma practice is an effort at waking up from dramas and dream state, whereas films are professionally manufactured dreams that we deliberately give ourselves to.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was a tv crew member for 30 years. So I didn’t heed his words.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

well...i think it's one thing to love deceiving people...and another to help wake them up...i think actors can participate in the process of helping to wake people up through certain films that make them think about being more compassionate...or wake them up to other issues that they would normally never think about ...that could enrich their lives.

Also some actors are very generous with all the money they make to help others that are less fortunate .....
What do you think of the Actor Richard Gere...his teacher is the Dalai Lama.....
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Also some actors are very generous with all the money they make to help others that are less fortunate .....
What do you think of the Actor Richard Gere...his teacher is the Dalai Lama.....
I’m sure whatever guidance HHDL has given him is correct for his karmic trajectory.

Also you should understand that actors base their emotional and economic lives on getting the attention and approval of others. It is a fundamentally unstable and frightening way to live life. It is a life built on the 8 worldly dharmas.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

smcj wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:26 am I was a tv crew member for 30 years.
That's interesting...why did you stop ?
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

smcj wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:03 am Also you should understand that actors base their emotional and economic lives on getting the attention and approval of others. It is a fundamentally unstable and frightening way to live life. It is a life built on the 8 worldly dharmas.
Yes...but aren't most people living like this no matter what profession they are in ?

But i agree...they must be very stable to begin with to succeed and live under all that pressure...more than the average person..
Schrödinger’s Yidam

But i agree...they must be very stable to begin with to succeed and live under all that pressure...more than the average person..
Nope. That is illusion. Just the opposite.

Consider the example of the aging beauty queen. Unlike a doctor or lawyer, her entire financial base was built on her looks. As her looks fade she sees younger prettier women getting the jobs she used to get. The best she can do is delay the process. And for every success there are hundreds or thousands that never get anywhere. The vast majority of Screen Actors Guild members make less than $20k a year. And there’s no guarantee that they will make even that from one year to the next.

Or think about child actors who have been given attention and validation from when they first have a sense of “self”. But when they are no longer cute the are just a normal person, only with zero social skills to navigate life. One of the guys from The Brady Bunch has a group for helping child actors adjust to real life.
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Minobu wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:09 pm
ShineeSeoul wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:48 pm
oki doki..

for me is a worry.....

i don't buy into the whole lets agree to disagree thing...

if we are all truly trying to learn then what we say to each other should be discussed , analyzed to death , and hashed out ....
I didn't know that thanking God makes other worry lol..
one has to be careful in defining God...thats all...
, so rather than bashing on
again i am not bashing on anything ...if you feel that way ...then yeah i did do so ,but did not mean to...

I hope and pray that we all are supposed to be helping each other...pointing out what we write here...how it can be interpreted, adding to...detracting from...mish mashing away...and coming out with some form of learning experience...

for me i'm glad stuff is said that i get shocked over....shock and awe here is a good thing....

i like to think we all are interconnected in the school of buddha...and buddha works through us sometimes in order for someone reading to pick up on something...

it's all good....should be thought of that way is my opinion.....

so with all my heart!
cheers fellow traveller. :group:
ok good, good luck to your learning journey
but I don't think we can agree, which we obviously have different out look on things, but its not bad thing, people are not the same, this is part of life.
take care
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

I recall the movie Kundun...my beloved friend and Geshe, Kalden Gesha la had a part in it

so did these Tibetan Buddhists...

http://www.filmscouts.com/scripts/matin ... &File=cast

here is the whole cast and crew ..i see a Tulku and my Geshe
does anyone else see a one time monk or Rinpoche or Geshe?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119485/fullcredits

are they all destined to hell?

*sigh*

**slowly minobu's fundamentalism fades to dark**
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

smcj wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:38 am Consider the example of the aging beauty queen. Unlike a doctor or lawyer, her entire financial base was built on her looks.
Yes...but there are also actors & actresses that have managed to age more gracefully and succeed in the years as they've aged...mainly because their career was not only based on their looks...but acting skills....looks aren't everything in Hollywood...some of the finest actresses have made it solely on their incredible persona & acting skills (not to exclude the prolific sex abuse game they had to succumb to....but that's another aspect of success used in Hollywood & Follywood/Samsara)

I know what you are saying....but there are exceptions...not all were the standard beauty queens to begin with, and they made it on their acting skills ...not solely their looks.
You probably know more about this than me....being that you worked in the field much longer.....i'm just seeing it from a different angle....that looks aren't everything....skill is important too....and not all actors are flakey and unstable....i think you have to be strong to make it in this line of work...more so than the average person...
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Well what about Nepal? They have Newar Buddhists as the deities like a Manjushri solo, Tara and Amoghasiddhi, etc.
Also, there is the Cham dance in Mongolia and Tibet on the life of Padmasambhava, so you were saying on acting?

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”