Proper Buddhist meditation room

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

Proper Buddhist meditation room

Post by tomschwarz »

Hello friends,

What should I put in a proper Buddhist meditation room? Will it always be empty? )))) that is a joke, but the question is sincere.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: Proper Buddhist meditation room

Post by Mantrik »

For meditation......... well, yes, nowt.

For rituals, it's going to be an 'it depends' answer of course, so I'll focus on Vajrayana.

Some have elaborate permanent shrines, others very sparse as they visualise what they need for the practice.
I have lots of statues etc. around the room but what I do is set up a puja table with whatever is relevant to a specific practice, and may do that outdoors or indoors, again depending on whether I'm using fire or incense, etc.

A typical shrine may have a Yidam statue, offering bowls, stupa, dharma text, bell, dorje, damaru and whatever other implements you may use such as a phurba, censer, serkyem.

I carry a mala, phurba, thogchag (deity amulet) and melong with me always so I can practice anywhere anytime in the way I wish to....and of course the 5 Elements are everywhere! :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Depends on your tradition and your tastes. If you follow zen teachings then maybe more empty spacious room with one simple buddha statue and incense thingie could be enough. If you follow tibetan buddhist tradition then probably depends on your lineage a bit and what you will practice. It seems you are more into Tibetan Buddhism soo maybe some water offering bowls, mandala plates, blessed buddha statue (be it Shakyamuni, Guru Rinpoche, Tsongkhapa, etc.) and mabye some candle place and the incense thingie.

I do not think there is anything like "proper buddhist room" what makes it proper is if a "proper" buddhist uses it. Decoration and things inside are according to your possibilities and needs. It would be stupid to go into debt for thousands of things you never use. So a photo of your teacher plus maybe photo of some thangka and a candle in front of it can be enough.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I'd be more interested in which way the door faces and where the main beams are.
Natan

Post by Natan »

tomschwarz wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:54 am Hello friends,

What should I put in a proper Buddhist meditation room? Will it always be empty? )))) that is a joke, but the question is sincere.
The whole world
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
muni

Post by muni »

Perhaps we can ask our guidance because it depends? :buddha1:

Some ideas: There is for example a difference between Tibetan and Zen room. In Zen, there seems to be inspiration by great tool, by pointing to what always is because of its "emptiness"... Tibetan room then, is pointing to the colorful rainbow not separate from space, all Diety...

Meditation freed from ideas is proper room. But at the same time whatever can help.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

muni wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:35 am Perhaps we can ask our guidance because it depends? :buddha1:

Some ideas: There is for example a difference between Tibetan and Zen room. In Zen, there seems to be inspiration by great tool, by pointing to what always is because of its "emptiness"... Tibetan room then, is pointing to the colorful rainbow not separate from space, all Diety...

Meditation freed from ideas is proper room. But at the same time whatever can help.
Right, whatever can help. What a mess this life is!! I was told by a monk that it is an accomplishment to get absolutely sick of this life so you dont seek rebirth. I am getting there)))))))) .... Best way is start to fathom the true scope of suffering, those who do not have ethics/meditation/wisdom practice or similar, e.g. grocery store checkout lines in Austria.

But meditation does really help. My daughter mèntioned that dinosaurs drank water, it has surley much to do with life itself ...is Tibetan Buddhism the only one with water offering? https://www.yowangdu.com/tibetan-buddhi ... bowls.html

If you do water offering:
Do you do it in your meditation room?
Does it help you prepare your mind for seated meditation?
Does it reflect/effect the energy of both the room and your mind?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
muni

Post by muni »

is Tibetan Buddhism the only one with water offering?

No. https://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/co ... altar.html
If you do water offering:
Do you do it in your meditation room?
Can be. Not necessarily a location.
Does it help you prepare your mind for seated meditation?
Can be tool to settle calm abiding. Relax, allowing clarity, open heart....
Does it reflect/effect the energy of both the room and your mind?
"I don't know".
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Amazing.... thanks Muni. Great tips... ..so who are the ansestors??? Bazaar to see that in Buddhism... first rime for me. Do they mean dinosaurs?

I do sometimes stretch when ending or starting meditation time. And i do this thing, half lotus left elbo to the floor, right hand reaching uo to the cieling, and my dad and grandpas and grandmas and bothers and siters and friends reach down from heaven and hold my hand in quiet support for my weak situation (living).

Then right elbo down left hand up, not so much for greating the dead again, sometimes yes, but more so to stretch on the other side )).

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”