Masters in whose presence peace is experienced?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
paradox524

Masters in whose presence peace is experienced?

Post by paradox524 »

Are there any masters who have a reputation for inducing a profound peace which can be experienced merely by entering their presence? Are there any which are specifically and widely known for having this effect, where people have written about experiencing this?
MatthewAngby

Re: Masters in whose presence peace is experienced?

Post by MatthewAngby »

paradox524 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:10 am Are there any masters who have a reputation for inducing a profound peace which can be experienced merely by entering their presence? Are there any which are specifically and widely known for having this effect, where people have written about experiencing this?
I remember the first time I saw H.E. Garchen rinpoche , I felt an experience that it is impossible to describe , it felt something not from this world, like a fully enlightened being has appeared in front of you. Yes, a profound peace too. Great master 🙏🏼
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

It doesn't work this way as far as I know. Even buddhas like Shakyamuni And Padmasambhava were disliked or seen as normal people by some. I doubt there is anyone that has some kind of permanent 'peace aura' around them that anyone who comes close suddenly feels peaceful.
muni

Post by muni »

Often their presence is influencing our mind and it can be very easy to become calm, harmonious, loving and peaceful. But now I speak only for myself: in other presences, my mind get agitated and restless. I see how this is conditioning.

There is the advice to avoid harmful contacts and stay in the presence of spiritual friends, of Masters, I guess to be able to find that very peace, to relax and see. But then practice should help to sustain that inner peace or "relax" in other circumstances or other contacts, not conditioned by any.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah! Pardon.

Like I think to understand Aryjna, it depends very much on own mind.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

It may be karma has something to do with attraction.Not just Lama's but food
and types of shoes.
In high school i was attracted to one of the ugliest girls and i saw her as ugly
as many others did.It was not one of those love is blind type things.
I was just mad about her!
Anders

Post by Anders »

I experienced it frequently, and saw it frequently happen to lots of people as well, around Ajahn Pannavado. He's dead now though. But it is very much a thing. Have heard similar stories from others in the presence of other teachers.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Garchen Rinpoche
Dalai Lama
Khemsar Rinpoche in the UK
others in China and Taiwan...

Various sutras. Yes, sutras are powerful and reliable masters. They emanate the Buddha mind.

They say it's all about your karmic connection. Are there any sutras or mantras you feel more connected with? If so, recite the sutra. Study the sutra. Teach the sutra to others, if you have a good grasp of the meaning. But do so with awareness so that the thoughts and emotions that arise during practice don't overpower your awareness, but are instead perfumed by it. When practicing a sutra or mantra (or any practice really), the field of energy inherent in that sutra or mantra will attune your own mind to it. This is a principle way of deepening your connection with Dharma.

I felt a strong connection with a teacher in Taiwan because of his 大悲咒功夫, his Great Compassion Mantra gongfu. He recites the dharani 1000 times each day. As a result, maybe because I've practice that mantra in the past or have some other connection with Guanyin, I felt a kind of spiritual/emotional resonance with this one teacher. I actually "met" him in a new age bookshop, when I happened upon a small book of his sayings on compassion. They were pretty ordinary words, but because of the "connection" they went deeper. They resonated. They "rang true."

Qigong practices can help to become a little more sensitive, but when doing these practices you have to learn not to attach. (They don't teach you this, because usually qigong is based on "tuning in" to a subtle qi feeling sensation.) That's where Ch'an comes in.

I think this sense of peace experienced in front of the Dharma is that your emotions are pacified. This is one of the great functions of Dharma.

You can also look for this resonance in books that you read. Are there ever Dharma words that give you peace? Maybe some teacher's words have influence on the mind... maybe your mind will stop. Maybe you will feel Dharma joy 法喜. Maybe you will feel sorrow when hearing about impermanence as your illusions begin to deflate.

They say this is all due to connection with Dharma in the past. Maybe you studied with certain teachers or engaged in certain practices, had relationship with certain Buddhas or Bodhisattvas. Likewise, you can "plant seeds" for connection with the Dharma in this life by study and practice. So if you don't "feel a connection" with a certain teacher or sutra, actually... the more you study and practice with the teacher, the more subtle connections to the Dharma are formed.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

The only Master that can do that is to be found in the mirror.

_/|\_
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”