Growing a Dharma community

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
dharmafootsteps

Growing a Dharma community

Post by dharmafootsteps » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 am

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of growing a community in their area, or finding enough interested people to host occasional events.

I'd love to bring some teachers to my city, even if it means stumping up a lot of the cost myself, but there's not a big Dharma scene there. There's just one small centre belonging to a Rinpoche from a different lineage, who lives elsewhere in the country. I'm wondering how I make sure enough people show up to make it worth the lamas time.

There also aren't any lamas resident in the city, or anywhere particularly close by. So I feel even though there isn't much Dharma there now, it might be possible to spark some interested if some great teachers were to visit, and if I could get some people with a spark of interest in the teachings in the door.

Fortyeightvows

Re: Growing a Dharma community

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:43 am

I think it will be easier for you since there aren’t any other centers around.

When you host teachings you should reach out to the rel department at the local universities and invite the people to attend.

It isnt unheard of to rent a bus to pick up old people and bring them to the teachings.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”