Swat Valley/Oddiyana

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Aryjna

Re: Swat Valley/Oddiyana

Post by Aryjna »

passel

Post by passel »

Crazywisdom wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 pm
Aryjna wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 pm http://www.visitswat.org/
“Swat was described as “Udyanaa” (the garden) in ancient Hindu epics. Alexander the Great crossed Swat River with part of his”
That’s cool. Although “the garden” seems like it could be a common name
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
passel

Post by passel »

(This link was in the OP. Not sure what you’re getting at)
Natan

Post by Natan »

Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Well that steals it I’m going here
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

passel wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:35 pm
(This link was in the OP. Not sure what you’re getting at)
Not exactly, this is a link to the Udyana subheading of the Oddiyana wikipedia article, which mentions the same thing about Swat valley being called this way.
passel

Post by passel »

Oh, cool. Thanks for making that distinction
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

Im curious, if there is any evidence of vajrayana being practiced in Swat valley and Tajik, ectr, or not?

As for Shambala: in text is Shambala described north to Oddiyana. Actualy, there is a city in Orissa called Shambalpur till today...
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

Also, I travelled with Lopon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche in Orissa some years ago. We saw for example a description of Padmasambhava life there on one plastica of Avalokiteshvara.

Also there is something locals believes is a stupa of Padmasambhava with his relics.

:namaste:
Last edited by Tongnyid Dorje on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Tongnyid Dorje wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:45 pm Also, I travelled with Lopon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche in Orissa some years ago. We saw for example a description of Padmasambhava life there on one plastica of Avalokiteshvara.

Also there is something locals believes is a stupa of Padmasambhava with his relics.

[imghttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1020092 ... =3&theater][/img]

The images don't work. :(
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:48 pm
Tongnyid Dorje wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:45 pm Also, I travelled with Lopon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche in Orissa some years ago. We saw for example a description of Padmasambhava life there on one plastica of Avalokiteshvara.

[imghttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1020092 ... =3&theater][/img]

The images don't work. :(
fixed. DW dont like facebook links... :)))
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Tongnyid Dorje wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pm Im curious, if there is any evidence of vajrayana being practiced in Swat valley and Tajik, ectr, or not?

As for Shambala: in text is Shambala described north to Oddiyana. Actualy, there is a city in Orissa called Shambalpur till today...
Did you read Orgyen Rinchenpal's travel accounts as linked by Malcolm? If not, you should. And as for historical evidence of Vajrayana being practiced, outside of travel accounts by various people, that indeed exists. Evidence of Vajrayana being practiced in Gilgit Baltistan, in Gandhara, in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (Swat is found there), and so on. The presence of Vajrayana in this region has also been confirmed by way of archaeological finds, dating back to the 7th and 8th centuries.
Luca Maria Olivieri, head of the Italian Archaeological Mission in Pakistan, said the carvings are important to archaeologists, historians and tourists.

"The sculptures in the Swat valley are typical of the late Vajrayana Buddhist schools, active in Swat between the seventh and ninth centuries,” Olivieri told UPI Next, adding that the mission had documented 221 sculptures.
- https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2018/0 ... 534250871/

Tajikistan also has a lot of archaeological sites of interest, such as stupas and former monasteries from the times when Buddhism was practiced there. Buddha figures have also been found. And Buddhism was also active in places like Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan, and Uzbekistan.

Also, another account than Orgyen Rinchenpal from Tibet, was that of Xuanzang from China, who traveled to the region of Gandhara and Swat in Pakistan, noted that the preferred form of Buddhism practiced there, was Vajrayana.

This entire region, large as it is, is a very interesting place.
haha

Post by haha »

More research works will definitely clarify its location.
All the above few arguments from the historical, archeological and linguistic viewpoints confirm the fact that Odiyana, the homeland of Guru Padmasabhava, really refers to present day Odisha rather that Udyana (Swat Valley).
Guru Padmasambhava of Odiyana (Odisha): The Founder of Lamaism in Tibet
At this stage, I would like to conclude my contribution with three statements, which derive their apodictic fomulation from the solid ground of the archaeological field research. Therefore, they might be considered the best starting points for future discussions:
1) Archaeological research in Swat has amply demonstrated the existence of a strong Vajrayanic background already in the 7th century CE.
2) Textual evidences show that from 5th Century CE, Chinese and Tibetan travelers and pilgrims for more than thousand years visited the Swat valley believing that it was Uddiyana (Figure 9).
3) If the true Uddiyana, as physical realm, should have been searched elsewhere than in Swat, we ought to conclude that those venerated pilgrims and travelers were wrong.
Guru Padmasambhava in Context: Archaeological and Historical Evidence from Swat/Uddiyana (c. 8th century CE)
Source: journal of bhutan studies volume 34

Following link is from academia.edu:
Searching for the Lotus pond of Dhanakosha of Guru Rincpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tongnyid Dorje wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pm Im curious, if there is any evidence of vajrayana being practiced in Swat valley and Tajik, ectr, or not?

Shambhala was likely the region of modern day Balkh.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Losely connected to topic, just emailed to me:

https://www.academia.edu/37606095/Geogr ... masambhava
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”