Practicing while in hospital

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Moha

Practicing while in hospital

Post by Moha »

I'm undergoing a medical procedure on Monday which will require me to be warded for a few days. Thinking of doing some practices, both for myself and the other patients while I'm there - discreetly of course.

I'm hoping to do as much Guruyoga (which I received transmission for from ChNNR) as I can, especially before going under. Perhaps some easy secondary practices like Tara's 21 Praises. Something elaborate like a Thun might be tricky due to privacy reasons.

Anyone have any other suggestions? What practices can I do for the patients and families there?

I just think it'll be a great opportunity to put some teachings into practice. It's definitely a great place to contemplate on impermanence.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Practicing while in hospital

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:55 pm I'm undergoing a medical procedure on Monday which will require me to be warded for a few days. Thinking of doing some practices, both for myself and the other patients while I'm there - discreetly of course.

I'm hoping to do as much Guruyoga (which I received transmission for from ChNNR) as I can, especially before going under. Perhaps some easy secondary practices like Tara's 21 Praises. Something elaborate like a Thun might be tricky due to privacy reasons.

Anyone have any other suggestions? What practices can I do for the patients and families there?

I just think it'll be a great opportunity to put some teachings into practice. It's definitely a great place to contemplate on impermanence.
When I was in a hospital I recited a Tara mantra a lot. Visualizing Tara infront of me and just light rays everywhere. I couldn't do much as I was very stressed from the experience (my first time there, but at 22 so I could have been more relaxed) and wanted to be at home as soon as possible (in the end I have stayed there twice as long as is normal :D ). Try vajra breathing that is something you can always do and helps you with protecting yourself. Otherwise ... you can basically do anything. SoV in your head or even self visualisation with mantra recitation after taking short refuge and after it just dedication. All can be done just in your head. Really depends on what you will find yourself capable doing. Being present + gy + maybe reciting in your head some mantras can always only help.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

A few years ago, I was in hospital for an ablation (heart related). I was only supposed to be in for 3 days and 2 nights. I would wake up about 3am and sit up for 30 minutes of meditation. Unfortunately, I was wired to the nurse’s station and the nurse popped her head in to see if I was alright. The next morning my cardiologist said he wanted me to stay an additional day. I think I might have lowered my heart rate and made them nervous.

GY and singing SoV silently, or whatever recitations you prefer, is probably a better idea. Plenty of opportunities for bodhichitta and tonglen in hospital. It’s a good situation for lojong practice, too. After all, the objective is integration, not ritual.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I found practice in the hospital profoundly helpful. Coming from the Nichiren side of things I chanted daimoku when fatigue and drugs permitted and used some basic zazen practices extensively when I was really out of it in the beginning. I was in for broken ribs & surgery, 5 days ICU, 5 days in recovery wards- practice was helpful throughout. It strengthened a positive and engaged outlook in the face of considerable pain and general discomfort when the PT folks descended to get us all out of bed and walking. The strong painkillers have a profound effect on the mind, waking dreams, euphoria, sweating, wandering and very weak concentration; a practice structure that I could stick with to let that stuff come and go was helpful. Changing the experience from suffering into practice was the name of the game.
Moha

Post by Moha »

Miroku wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:15 pm Try vajra breathing that is something you can always do and helps you with protecting yourself.
Good idea! Vajra breathing slipped my mind completely. Will definitely try to include this as much as I can.
Miroku wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:15 pm SoV in your head or even self visualisation with mantra recitation after taking short refuge and after it just dedication.
Jeff H wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:18 pm GY and singing SoV silently, or whatever recitations you prefer, is probably a better idea.
I'll certainly be doing as much AGY and SoV as I can. I think these will be the simplest practices that I can do.
Jeff H wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:18 pm After all, the objective is integration, not ritual.
Completely agree. Integration and working with circumstances ( which ChNNR frequently emphasises). Will be mindful of this.
narhwal90 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:17 pm The strong painkillers have a profound effect on the mind, waking dreams, euphoria, sweating, wandering and very weak concentration; a practice structure that I could stick with to let that stuff come and go was helpful. Changing the experience from suffering into practice was the name of the game.
Not sure how structured my practices will be but it's something to aim for, no doubt. Hopefully I'll have the same sort of willpower for it! :?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Simple is really good, I was not capable of reciting sutra or even mustering a lot of recall of the Nichiren commentaries.. just the basic chanting and scattered vignettes. The zazen method was simplicity itself, and the effects of both motivated further practice. Good luck in there, will offer prayers accordingly 😀
Emmet

Post by Emmet »

I've sat zazen besides hospital beds of others, and "sat" zazen while lying in hospital beds of my own. Sometimes I'd practice the Five Remembrances; sometimes I'd practice metta. Possibly my most helpful contribution to the well-being of other patients, their families, and staff was practicing equanimity and attempting to be "low maintenance"; yes, I'm ill, but the ward is under-staffed, the staff is over-worked, and there are some much sicker than I and in much greater need of the staff's attentions.

I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.
I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.
I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.
I will be separated and parted from all that is dear and beloved to me.
I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.
The Buddha advised: "These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained."
The Upajjhatthana Sutta

May you be well, free of suffering, and at peace.
Moha

Post by Moha »

Emmet wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:16 pm I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.
I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.
I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.
I will be separated and parted from all that is dear and beloved to me.
I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.
The Buddha advised: "These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained."
The Upajjhatthana Sutta
This is great! Thank you got this and for the well wishes.
narhwal90 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:34 pm Good luck in there, will offer prayers accordingly
Thank you very much. :anjali:
Kris

Post by Kris »

Silently or very softy chanting mantras and dedication of merit was very helpful for my recent stay at the hospital. Wishing you the best. Peace.

Edit: BTW my stay was unfortunately pretty miserable because of very rude staff, I couldn't wait to leave.
00.jpg
00.jpg (86.75 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Sennin - may the hospital staff's hearts be transformed by the darshan of your stay and presence. May their natural lovingkindness break through their barriers like a flood breaking a dam! In the future may they attend to all patients as they would their loving mothers and fathers.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Tonglen
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Moha

Post by Moha »

Sennin wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:56 pm Edit: BTW my stay was unfortunately pretty miserable because of very rude staff, I couldn't wait to leave.
That sucks though I guess it was a good opportunity to strengthen your practice. I have a horrible problem with anger and stuff like this can really make me lose it sometimes. Fingers crossed I'll be able to able to be as mindful as you were. Hope you're feeling better now!
Dorje Shedrub wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:24 pmTonglen
I have no experience with Tonglen. Would I need any sort of transmission to start practicing?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:09 am I have no experience with Tonglen. Would I need any sort of transmission to start practicing?
No it is a part of mahayana mind training so you can do it just like that. OFC it would be the best with teachers permission and instructions but you can use a book or a youube video.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Moha

Post by Moha »

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Will do my best.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:55 pm definitely a great place to contemplate on impermanence.

Bazaar how insanely transformational caring for those in excrutiating chronic pain is.... suggestion: tonglen

Take it take it take it in, their all night moaning, agony. At your empty heart that energy naturaly transforms, without renunciation, from black into rainbow light, exhale, arching up/out from around your neck.... onto them/all.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I very sincerely wish you all good health and long life

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”