Cherish me as supreme

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

Cherish me as supreme

Post by tomschwarz »

Hello friends,

His Holiness the Dalai Lama has recited these eight versus all of his life. And it helps him. They help me a lot. You know the kind of teaching which shows you the gap between now and enlightenment.... http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... ining-mind

Question, do you cherish others as supreme? Do you see ill-natured beings as something rare, a priceless treasure? Do you have experiences with this practice that you are willing to share?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Re: Cherish me as supreme

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

_/\_

"Training The Mind | The 14Th Dalai Lama". 2018. The 14Th Dalai Lama. Accessed October 10 2018. https://www.dalailama.com/teachings/training-the-mind.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

At that time there was also a monk, a bodhisattva, called Sadāparibhūta (Never Despising).

“O Mahāsthāmaprāpta, why was he called Sadāparibhūta? Because whenever he saw any monk, nun, layman, or laywoman, he would praise and pay homage to them, saying:

I deeply respect you. I dare not belittle you. Why is this? Because all of you practice the bodhisattva path, and will become buddhas.

“Furthermore, this monk did not concentrate himself on reciting the sutras but only paid homage such that, even when he saw the fourfold assembly from afar, he would go up to them, praise, and pay homage to them, saying:

I dare not belittle you, because you will all become buddhas.

“In the fourfold assembly there were some whose minds were impure and who became angry, and reviled and disparaged him, saying:

Where does this ignorant monk come from? He says that he himself does not belittle us and predicts that we shall all become buddhas. We do not need such an idle prediction.

“In this way he wandered about for many years and was always reviled. But he never got angry and always said, ‘You will become a buddha.’

“Whenever he spoke these words, people would assail him with sticks or stones; he fled from them yet still proclaimed loudly at a distance:

I dare not belittle you. You will all become buddhas.

“Since he always spoke these words, the excessively proud monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen called him Sadāparibhūta...

“O Mahāsthāmaprāpta, what do you think about this? Was Bodhisattva Sadāparibhūta of that time someone unknown to you? He was none other than I myself."

-Lotus Sutra, Ch. 20
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

“One who conceives ‘I am equal, better, or worse,’
Might on that account engage in disputes.
But one not shaken in the three discriminations
Does not think, ‘I am equal or better.’

More here

“Soṇa, when any ascetics and brahmins, on the basis of form—which is impermanent, suffering, and subject to change—regard themselves thus: ‘I am superior,’ or ‘I am equal,’ or ‘I am inferior,’ what is that due to apart from not seeing things as they really are?" More here

There are, bhikkhus, these three types of conceit. Which three? The conceit 'I am superior', the conceit 'I am equal', the conceit 'I am inferior'.
More here
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Thank you for the great quotes and links.
Verse 6 of 8 for trainingthe mind:

Even when someone I have helped,
Or in whom I have placed great hopes
Mistreats me very unjustly,
I will view that person as a true spiritual teacher.
This works for me. Have others found that this definition of a spiritual teacher holds water?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Natan

Post by Natan »

I received long teachings on 8 verses. I just looked up
Something related to betrayal by loved ones. This is a very helpful text.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Natan

Post by Natan »

tomschwarz wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 pm Thank you for the great quotes and links.

This works for me. Have others found that this definition of a spiritual teacher holds water?
The meaning is that when this happens the happening itself is the teacher. What is the teacher teaching? Sentient beings are swayed by ignorance and conflicts. That is the way it is and it ain’t never no different ever.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:17 am The meaning
True true. So there are humans, which exist, and there is happening itself, which exists. The happening is the teacher.

But is there only one meaning in this teaching from Geshe Langri Thangpa? Others?
Natan

Post by Natan »

tomschwarz wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:55 am
Crazywisdom wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:17 am The meaning
True true. So there are humans, which exist, and there is happening itself, which exists. The happening is the teacher.

But is there only one meaning in this teaching from Geshe Langri Thangpa? Others?
That’s the transmission I got. Humans can’t avoid conflicts, so when loved ones betray that’s the lesson.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

I would add that selflessness and cherishing people, specifically cherishing negative people, is a meaning of this text, no?

I will always hold them dear

from the depths of my heart
Cherish others as supreme

(Destructive emotions will) hurt both me and others.

I will cherish them as something rare,
As though I’d found a priceless treasure

I will take defeat upon myself,
And give the victory to others.

I will view that person as a true spiritual teacher

Take upon myself
All their hurt and suffering.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:17 am
tomschwarz wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 pm Thank you for the great quotes and links.

The meaning is that when this happens the happening itself is the teacher. What is the teacher teaching? Sentient beings are swayed by ignorance and conflicts. That is the way it is and it ain’t never no different ever.
In addition to seeing others realistically, this verse also reminds me that anger, betrayal, disappointment do not come from outside. Those kinds of hurts point to a mistaken perception.
Namu Amida Butsu
Natan

Post by Natan »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:07 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:17 am

In addition to seeing others realistically, this verse also reminds me that anger, betrayal, disappointment do not come from outside. Those kinds of hurts point to a mistaken perception.
In the ultimate sense. But I don’t think it’s saying if they piss on your face see it as rain. One can mentally accept the defeat as the ripening of karma and turn within to the ultimate nature, by letting go of these negative people, bc this is the nature of samsara. My lama gave the example of the cultural revolution and been in jail and beaten by the Chinese. I don’t think it was mistaken perception that this was unjust.
Last edited by Natan on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

:good:

I was thinking too that where anger or negativity arise towards someone, there is also the abandonment of vows with regard to that person.
Namu Amida Butsu
Natan

Post by Natan »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:56 am :good:

I was thinking too that where anger or negativity arise towards someone, there is also the abandonment of vows with regard to that person.
Yes. And for a mantra practitioner it can be a samaya breakage.
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

HHDL recounts a story of a monk who had been imprisoned by the Chinese for many years. When he eventually was able to leave Tibet, he went to HHDL's monastery in Tibet.

HHDL was talking with him one day and asked the monk if he encountered any dangers in prison, and the monk replied, "yes, there were a few times of danger." HHDL asked what danger he experienced, knowing torture likely occurred. The monk replied that a few times he was in danger of losing compassion for his captors.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Moha

Post by Moha »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am HHDL recounts a story of a monk who had been imprisoned by the Chinese for many years. When he eventually was able to leave Tibet, he went to HHDL's monastery in Tibet.

HHDL was talking with him one day and asked the monk if he encountered any dangers in prison, and the monk replied, "yes, there were a few times of danger." HHDL asked what danger he experienced, knowing torture likely occurred. The monk replied that a few times he was in danger of losing compassion for his captors.

DS
Is it true that this story is about Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche, as detailed here?
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:36 am
Dorje Shedrub wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am HHDL recounts a story of a monk who had been imprisoned by the Chinese for many years. When he eventually was able to leave Tibet, he went to HHDL's monastery in Tibet.

DS
Is it true that this story is about Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche, as detailed here?
I don't know myself. I heard HHDL tell the story in a video, but He didn't mention any name.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am The monk replied that a few times he was in danger of losing compassion for his captors.
that is the real deal. and the 8 versus. why? because...
the ripening
gone
turn within to the ultimate nature
gone
letting go of these negative people
gone
the nature of samsara
gone
My lama gave
gone
cultural revolution
soon to be forgotten forever.
jail and beaten by the Chinese
and me, and you, english, other earth languages, this planet, sun, all gone. We probably dont was to put our eggs in that basket..... because it will go so soon, as soon as you die, no conciousness. So we should probably take the tip that buddhism gives us and release from attachment and aversion (and desire), sooner than later... ...i mean to get comfortable with the idea...

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”