Boycotting as an ethical method

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
odysseus

Boycotting as an ethical method

Post by odysseus »

Lately, I've started boycotting more companies and their products. Not gonna mention who they are, but it's for various reasons like animal testing, employee abuses, and bad customer service. My list of boycotts is not big, so it's easy to do without brooding over it every time I shop. I can mostly find an alternative elsewhere.

My small money is not a loss to these companies, but my conscience is better when I keep a distance. It hangs together with Right livelihood and part of ethical conduct.

Do any of you boycott and for what reasons?
justsit

Re: Boycotting as an ethical method

Post by justsit »

There are places that I do not support with my dollars, usually because they offer unhealthy options (ie, fast food) or have discriminatory, unethical, or other unsavory corporate policies (Hobby Lobby, Chix Fil-A, etc.). I don't really consider that I'm "boycotting" per se, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I also prefer to use small businesses vs. gorillas (Walmart, Amazon). One does what one can.
XXIlluminatingVoid72

Post by XXIlluminatingVoid72 »

I boycott Israeli products. Those whos barcode starts with "729". They have begun bombing Gaza civilians again today...Very sad
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

odysseus wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:14 pm Do any of you boycott and for what reasons?
I boycott the Salvation Army, because they are a terrible sect who should not be doing the work they are doing.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”