Information on outdoor meditation hut

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
ThreeVows

Information on outdoor meditation hut

Post by ThreeVows »

Pardon if this is the wrong forum. I’m interested in building a small meditation hut/cabin/whatever in my private backyard and I’m wondering if anyone knows about A) pre-made plans for huts, B) experience of their own, or C) basically anything at all on the topic.

I’ve considered, though not in depth, trying to figure out a way to make a stone hut.

Generally the idea is a small closed space with the exception of a single door, and the general size would be either A) basically big enough to sit and not much more, or B) possibly large enough for prostrations, though I’d lean towards A.

Thanks for any input.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Information on outdoor meditation hut

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

With enough insulation and some electricity, a Home Depot shed will work.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Not sure where you are but yurts are an excellent and portable meditation hut. Check out the Pacific Yurts site. There are many other prefab vendors.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I also am thinking yurt. And nowadays with inexpensive solar you could even power it ‘off the grid’.

'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I thought a lot about this topic and I'd go for either some pre made hut and insulate it a bit and do some needed work, or go for old shipping container or those similar thigns that can be found on construction sites, they tend to be kinda cheapish and again adjust it to your needs. Maybe also old caravan or sth of that kind.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

It may be a bit of a romantic notion, but I like the idea of something like this https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 4793762208

Also my feeling is that I'm not terribly interested in insulation, even though I live in a place where winters get cold. I kind of want very simple.

Thanks for the input.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”