Dedicating Merit

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
cjdevries

Dedicating Merit

Post by cjdevries » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:25 pm

Is dedicating merit something that can only be done after Buddhist practice or can it be carried over to transformational practices as well, such as practices of Hooponopono or self-love practices?

Miroku
Global Moderator

Re: Dedicating Merit

Post by Miroku » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:36 pm

cjdevries wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:25 pm
Is dedicating merit something that can only be done after Buddhist practice or can it be carried over to transformational practices as well, such as practices of Hooponopono or self-love practices?
After every virtuous action you can dedicate merit. I have zero idea what Hoopo...etc, or self-love practicee (masturbation?) are soo dunno.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:13 pm

I was thinking self-love like telling yourself "I love you"

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:32 pm

I think I'd settle for the classic "May I be well, may I be happy, may I be free from suffering". Just to avoid any chance of narcissism creeping in.

Anyhoo it's all part of standard metta bhavana practice IIRC, and widely practiced under that and other names.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

stevie

Post by stevie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:23 am

cjdevries wrote:
Dedication may be of two kinds:
1. Dedication of practices performed after these have been completed to assure that these practices have also been done for the benefit of others. That is the merit one has accumulated through the practice is dedicated to the benefit of others. This is like selflessly giving one's merit to others.
2. Special thorough dedication
This can be found in Maitreya’s Ornament for the Clear Realizations (see http://uma-tibet.org/).
This 'special thorough dedication' is an aspect of the path of meditation, i.e. it is a very advanced practice in itself beyond the scope of most of us. Here the roots of virtue that are the basis of merit are dedicated to complete enlightenment.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 am

cjdevries wrote:
in any case after you generated merit. for example after giving something with the correct intention, remained in patience, etc.

i mean, it is not requesite to have done some ritual thing.
"Don't profess a view you haven't realized!
Since the view is devoid of viewing, mind essence is an expanse of great emptiness.
Since the meditation is without meditating, leave your individual experience free from fixation.
Since the conduct is without acting, it is unfabricated naturalness.
Since the fruition is without abandoning or achieving, it is the dharmakaya of great bliss.
These four sentences are words from my heart:
Contradict them and you fail to discover the nature of Ati Yoga."

Guru Padmasambhava.
From "Advice from the Lotus-Born".

Akasamuni

Post by Akasamuni » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:53 pm

cjdevries wrote:
Dedicating merit is a practice itself and a skilful means and reminder that we practice not just for ourselves, but for all beings. From a Dharmic perspective we are all interconnected, so energetically speaking dedicating merit may actually affect other beings, and it would make it a more effective practice to assume that this is actually the case. I have certainly experienced this in relation to the Metta Bhavana meditation practice.

You can dedicate merit any time after a skilful action, even after a positive thought since it has skilful intention behind it. Remember one of the fetters that keeps us from stream entry is attachment to rites and rituals (as ends in themselves). Part of practice is being aware in practice, of what we are doing and why we do it. I don't mean that you have to think about it although you may reflect on it for the purpose of deepening your understanding. It's more that you understand what practice is about, that you are alive to it, engaged with it.

This may be obvious but there are a lot of nominal or cultural Buddhists in the world and like any religion, people can go to temple (church), meditate and chant the refuges and precepts and generally be a good person and think they will make progress or hope for a good rebirth.

Consistently and ever increasingly we are trying to direct our intention away from ego-centredness and cultivating the grounds for wisdom to arise, which then informs more skilful action. With this in mind, we can look at all practice and understand its purpose.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”