I Would Love A Study Partner

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
CompassionateJourney

I Would Love A Study Partner

Post by CompassionateJourney »

Hi all,

I found this post from 2014 and think it's a great idea:
Nyada wrote: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm :rolling: I would love a study partner(s). All I am looking for is somebody that is willing to read books with me (selecting together) and then at lest once a week via E- mail/Skype/ other chat programs. We discuss what we have been reading and helping each other to see more sides of the work or just to understand it better as a whole. More conversations can be added for more difficult texts. Really consider it an online Buddhist Book Club. :reading:
I'm interested in doing the same and possibly extending it to include discussion/encouragement with daily practice and dharma in everyday life etc.

I look forward to hearing from those who are interested.
CompassionateJourney

Re: I Would Love A Study Partner

I'm actually a little surprised that there has not been a single response.

Am I posting in the wrong area/forum?

Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to pm

Many thanks.
muni

Post by muni »

We discuss what we have been reading and helping each other to see more sides of the work or just to understand it better as a whole.
This sounds very beautiful when this helping each other is respect from both sides. When people have the same teachings can this be easier. Or just being able to listen to each other, be open, that I think has high value in communication.

I have learned to study first for oneself, and then pray for Enlightened guidance and therefore not so discussions about works. However I saw it people doing on retreats and it was like the quote above. Really inspiring!
There have been some propositions on this forum somewhere to open such discussions as far as I remember. But no idea whether this came into action or not.

Anyway inspiring each other is so great and can bring more insight, peace, clarity and so on...

:namaste:
The presence of space makes it possible for the whole universe to be set out within it, and yet this does not alter or condition space in any way. Although rainbows appear in the sky, they do not make any difference to the sky; it is simply that the sky makes the appearance of rainbows possible.
Phenomena adorn emptiness, but never corrupt it. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.
All dharma abide in mind mind abide in space space abides nowhere. Master La.
https://samyeinstitute.org/philosophy/w ... -concepts/
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

How about you recommend some books?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
CompassionateJourney

Grigoris wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:12 am How about you recommend some books?
Good idea, thank you.

I will add a list of suggestions tomorrow.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Good idea!

If you start a study group to work through Buddhist scriptures, you should ideally have an expert guide/consultant, someone you trust to help you understand the texts as they were meant to be understood. If not, you run the risk of:

Misunderstanding teachings can set you back months, even years! And, ya know: tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock ...
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Reading "Introduction to Buddhist Meditation" by Sarah Shaw, a survey. It's both academic and practical. I'm a slow reader however but always willing to discuss.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
stevie

Post by stevie »

Rick wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:27 pm Good idea!

If you start a study group to work through Buddhist scriptures, you should ideally have an expert guide/consultant, someone you trust to help you understand the texts as they were meant to be understood. If not, you run the risk of:

Certainly a nice and appropriate parable if 'the elephant' is rightly understood:
"Monks, the wanderers of other sects are blind & eyeless. They don't know what is beneficial and what is harmful. They don't know what is the Dhamma and what is non-Dhamma. Not knowing what is beneficial and what is harmful, not knowing what is Dhamma and what is non-Dhamma, they keep on arguing, quarreling, & disputing, wounding one another with weapons of the mouth, saying, 'The Dhamma is like this, it's not like that. The Dhamma's not like that, it's like this.'
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Rick wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:27 pm Misunderstanding teachings can set you back months, even years! And, ya know: tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock ...
From my perspective that isn't appropriately expressed because 'set back' implies that the starting point is more beneficial then what may result from misunderstanding after having contacted the teachings. But although that may be the case that is not necessarily the case because even the result of a misunderstanding of the teachings may be more beneficial than the starting point when the teachings haven't been contacted at all.
As a beginner one has to start with either the the elephant's head or the elephant's ear or the elephant's tusk or the elephant's trunk or ... etc etc Why? Because if not appropriately conditioned through former lives it is impossible to unerringly realize buddha dharma from the outset. But always keeping that parable in mind there is no problem with starting with either the the elephant's head or the elephant's ear or ... and anxiety about possible misunderstanding is thus inappropriate.
Either one continues one's dharma journey started in one of the former lives or one starts one's dharma journey to be continued in future lives.
muni

Post by muni »

That elephant is exactly what I meant with mutual respect. Since the elephant can be easely used to oil the wheel of samsara, I right, you wrong. The debates of monks for example can mislead, thinking they are doing that too as it looks like. But they have been guided regarding this and it gives no rise to the demon of grasping.
If for example A and B read a same book, there can by different karmic views, be particular ideas about. Then there arises quarrel and rightness. Or grasping to these ideas and reject other ideas. On a retreat or other, guidance is provided, a book I remember was the Bodhicaryavatara from Shantideva. It is also possible to read a book, reread the book...and pray with devotion for help.

However maybe one can find a study partner if studying alone is not so inspiring and inter-stimulation is neccesary. With mutual respect.

PS If one likes to arguy, it is also possible to do that with ones' mirrorview.
The presence of space makes it possible for the whole universe to be set out within it, and yet this does not alter or condition space in any way. Although rainbows appear in the sky, they do not make any difference to the sky; it is simply that the sky makes the appearance of rainbows possible.
Phenomena adorn emptiness, but never corrupt it. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.
All dharma abide in mind mind abide in space space abides nowhere. Master La.
https://samyeinstitute.org/philosophy/w ... -concepts/
Akasamuni

Post by Akasamuni »

muni wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 am
We discuss what we have been reading and helping each other to see more sides of the work or just to understand it better as a whole.
This sounds very beautiful when this helping each other is respect from both sides. When people have the same teachings can this be easier. Or just being able to listen to each other, be open, that I think has high value in communication.

I have learned to study first for oneself, and then pray for Enlightened guidance and therefore not so discussions about works. However I saw it people doing on retreats and it was like the quote above. Really inspiring!
There have been some propositions on this forum somewhere to open such discussions as far as I remember. But no idea whether this came into action or not.

Anyway inspiring each other is so great and can bring more insight, peace, clarity and so on...

Studying with a partner or group is an invaluable tool to get a different perspective that one may not have ever stumbled across in one's solitary efforts. Of course, especially in a group setting it is important to have a study group leader with considerable wisdom and tact to help steer people as best as possible towards Right View. And as you say this sharing of Dharma can be very inspiring.
Akasamuni

Post by Akasamuni »

Rick wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:27 pm Good idea!

If you start a study group to work through Buddhist scriptures, you should ideally have an expert guide/consultant, someone you trust to help you understand the texts as they were meant to be understood.

Misunderstanding teachings can set you back months, even years! And, ya know: tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock ...
I wouldn't agree that a group should not study a text at all unless the guidance is available, we can't be that precious about exposing ourselves to the Dharma. But I agree in principle, especially in a group setting it is best to have a wise guide. Failing that the group should be conscientious about taking notes on points that need clarification and checking that up with their teacher.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Akasamuni wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:58 am I wouldn't agree that a group should not study a text at all unless the guidance is available, we can't be that precious about exposing ourselves to the Dharma. But I agree in principle, especially in a group setting it is best to have a wise guide. Failing that the group should be conscientious about taking notes on points that need clarification and checking that up with their teacher.
Makes sense. Jot down questions and seek qualified answers. And lots of good energy can come from studying in a group.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
CompassionateJourney

Thanks for all the input.

I'm now thinking of starting an online course something like this:

https://www.ligminchalearning.com/ourcourses/

Would anyone else like to participate in a course together?
stevie

Post by stevie »

CompassionateJourney wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:01 am Thanks for all the input.

If you attend a course there will be other participants attending this course 'together', don't you think so?
May_you_be_free

Post by May_you_be_free »

Dear CompassionateJourney,
Dear dharma friends,

I find the 'book club' a great idea too and have thought about this before in fact. I think the potential benefits farly outweigh potential dangers. Of course there can and will be misunderstandings by studying without 'guidance'. But there can be misunderstandings with guidance too (either wrong teachers or teachers are misunderstood). And as it was said not studying the dharma is worse - we are all misguided by the wordly view already very much. I am also very motivated when I am studying with others and this keeps me going.
So please pm me if you are still interested in a book club.

I am also very interested in sharing everyday experiences relating them to the Dharma. I want to make allday life into practice and I really need help through Dharma companions - and it would also make me so happy to help others directing their every day actions more in concordance with the dharma too.
You could say I am searching for true dharma friends to help each other on the CompassionateJourney ;).
I have deep respect for Thich Nath Hanh and he had always stressed the importance of a supportive sangha very much.
Unfortunately I am extremely short of time due to work and family life. So I need to look for a reliable exchange which is not too time consuming. As I am female I would love to find a female dharma companion for various reasons.

I'd be happy to get replies in the forum or via pm from anyone interested.

May you all be happy and free from suffering and have the cause for it :) :heart:
MillennialBuddhist

Post by MillennialBuddhist »

CompassionateJourney wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:04 pm Hi all,

I found this post from 2014 and think it's a great idea:
Nyada wrote: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm :rolling: I would love a study partner(s). All I am looking for is somebody that is willing to read books with me (selecting together) and then at lest once a week via E- mail/Skype/ other chat programs. We discuss what we have been reading and helping each other to see more sides of the work or just to understand it better as a whole. More conversations can be added for more difficult texts. Really consider it an online Buddhist Book Club. :reading:
I'm interested in doing the same and possibly extending it to include discussion/encouragement with daily practice and dharma in everyday life etc.

I look forward to hearing from those who are interested.
I am absolutely interested! Please send me a message :) looking forward to hearing from you :heart: :namaste:
MillennialBuddhist

muni wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 am

I absolutely agree! I think it's a beautiful idea and I would love to study and converse and pray with you all! :namaste:
MillennialBuddhist

CompassionateJourney wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:01 am Thanks for all the input.

I would love to!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”