Taking Stock of Practice

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Re: Taking Stock of Practice

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:40 am

One more nugget from the same source:
Kornfield tells a story to illustrate what he means: "When a proud mother once announced to Mullah Nasruddin, 'My son has finished his studies,' Nasruddin replied, 'No doubt God will send him more.' "
:smile:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

muni

Post by muni » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:57 am

A Buddhist practices to know he/she is Buddha to benefit all beings.
self-centricity, which I see as our default state, is an obstacle to cultivating kindness for others.
These posts are great. I make a drawing.

I think it is easier for us to see a teacher who is wise, shows no attachment, no aversion, not such grasping, and so shows no self concern, is very compassionate for all and all. Then we can accept he-she is Buddha. But this is kind of conventional even great to start to have trust, what is really necessary to help us.

First our devotion for Buddha-Master and compassion is separate, because it is of the most importance to rely on Wisdom-Compassion, but by opening the wall of self centeredness it would become clear that devotion and compassion are not two different aspects. Some say it is both genuine Respect.

We can come to see/know Buddha by purifying our perceptions by purifying practices. At the same time our perception of all becomes purified. Since perceiving Buddha and meanwhile defiled real solid beings are perceived, that would be amazing and that we maybe can do but Buddha not. Purifying practice cures samsaric tendency to put all in separate boxes, like Guru-Buddha in the top box, those we like in the following one, those who are of no interest in the following on that one and in the lowest box those we do not like. Therefore we really need Compassionate Guidance as said.

Buddha is not one, perceiving other; whatever other. Buddha is purified, is selfless, no owner of the purification neither, more pure all embracing spacelike . Buddhas' Compassion is all encompassing since there is no partiality possible or there would be defilement and that is not Buddha. Buddha helps automatically since there is only perfection but at the mean time all kind of temporary dreams play. Buddha helps to awaken, to see what is grasping, by which suffering is maintained.

We need Buddha-Master and then trust and practice, to purify our view, to be free of any attachment and any division free of such like the Master is free of such, then we follow in his-her footsteps. This can by practice with the wish to benefit all beings in respect, really ALL. If we feel we exclude one, that is good ( knowing own dust) and practice can continue.

Pride destroys practice, destroys compassion, is dream.
*Om Mani Peme Hung*

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:04 am

:good:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:34 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:40 am
One more nugget from the same source:
Kornfield tells a story to illustrate what he means: "When a proud mother once announced to Mullah Nasruddin, 'My son has finished his studies,' Nasruddin replied, 'No doubt God will send him more.' "
:smile:
:heart: Nasruddin :heart:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7367&hilit=nasrudd ... e26396f81e
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

muni

Post by muni » Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 am

That Nasruddin! :smile:

Confidence is very necessary.

Pride kills very much, it is actually causing other as well: jealousy, greed, anger, desire…

I am proud to be on the path. But there would be no need for it, when I would not be deluded. Conclusion = I am proud to be deluded.
*Om Mani Peme Hung*

muni

Post by muni » Wed May 01, 2019 12:17 pm

I am proud to be on the path. But there would be no need for it, when I would not be deluded. Conclusion = I am proud to be deluded.
This only as a reflection how any pride is harmful and cannot be seen as confidence. While respect for all medicines the Dharma offers, since without liberating help, what this life could offer?
We would never see that all are pure, no matter how all appear and do.

There is a saying "all are the means to realize", therefore remember their great kindness.

Bowing.
:anjali:
*Om Mani Peme Hung*

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”