Do any of you use social media to spread Dharma?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
MillennialBuddhist

Do any of you use social media to spread Dharma?

Post by MillennialBuddhist » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 pm

I've only just started using media to try and reach more people wit Dharma. I am wondering if any of you use instagram/twitter/etc and if you use it casually or to spread dharma, or if you avoid it all together?

I know social media can be a toxic and negative place but I can't help but see its potential in reaching hundreds of thousands with dharma!

Would anyone be interested in building a community on Instagram with me for modern day Buddhists?

let me know what your thoughts are guys :)

Emma
- The Millennial Buddhist :meditate: :namaste:

Miroku
Former staff member

Re: Do any of you use social media to spread Dharma?

Post by Miroku » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:12 am

MillennialBuddhist wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 pm
I've only just started using media to try and reach more people wit Dharma. I am wondering if any of you use instagram/twitter/etc and if you use it casually or to spread dharma, or if you avoid it all together?

I know social media can be a toxic and negative place but I can't help but see its potential in reaching hundreds of thousands with dharma!

Would anyone be interested in building a community on Instagram with me for modern day Buddhists?

let me know what your thoughts are guys :)

Emma
I just don'T spread dharma. I am not enlightened neither do I have any significant amount of experience. How can I then spread dharma?

But at the same time I do feel a lack of buddhist representation on youtube etc. but seeing how some youtubers took on christianity or everything (I am looking at you Koi) then I am quite glad. Dharma can be easily misrepresented.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

MillennialBuddhist

Post by MillennialBuddhist » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 am

Thank you so much for your reply :)

I'm not sure which tradition you follow. Or if you follow bits and pieces from all of the traditions but I'm sort of coming from a Tibetan perspective.

We are taught that giving is one of the 6 perfections. And there are three types of giving
1 giving material things
2 giving dharma
3 giving fearlessness

Thinking from a giving dharma stand point, its said that even if you teach even just one word of dharma to others you are spreading dharma and this is incredibly beneficial as the dharma will help them in this life and the next.

I cant help but notice all the suffering caused by social media... it would be nice if I could use it to spread love and compassion and dharma <3

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:30 am

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 am

I'm not sure which tradition you follow. Or if you follow bits and pieces from all of the traditions but I'm sort of coming from a Tibetan perspective.

We are taught that giving is one of the 6 perfections. And there are three types of giving
1 giving material things
2 giving dharma
3 giving fearlessness

Thinking from a giving dharma stand point, its said that even if you teach even just one word of dharma to others you are spreading dharma and this is incredibly beneficial as the dharma will help them in this life and the next.

I cant help but notice all the suffering caused by social media... it would be nice if I could use it to spread love and compassion and dharma <3
Also from that perspective. And yes giving dharma is great, but there are so many problems arising. First of all it can easily get preachy and we don't need more "protestant preachers". It can become one of those "ezo spirituality bs's" and dharma is much deeper and practical than that. It can lack proper understanding and without that dharma will be more mocked than anything. Etc. It is not an easy task to do. I myself have itchy fingers from time to time to share so called "insight" but with whom? And why? If you really want to help people teach them to love and about karma. Those are the basics, but even that can be too much for too many. Some of my friends can't even love themselves and when told to try develop the love, they don't want to. So sharing even a word dharma is most difficult. Especially considering some mass platform when one does not have proper understanding.

It is better to share something inspired by dharma that will make people laugh, smile or push through obstacles even just for a while. That is better than "spreading dharma" as many people don't want to hear dharma.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

MillennialBuddhist

Post by MillennialBuddhist » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Miroku wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:30 am
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 am

1 giving material things
2 giving dharma
3 giving fearlessness

Also from that perspective. And yes giving dharma is great, but there are so many problems arising. First of all it can easily get preachy and we don't need more "protestant preachers". It can become one of those "ezo spirituality bs's" and dharma is much deeper and practical than that. It can lack proper understanding and without that dharma will be more mocked than anything. Etc. It is not an easy task to do. I myself have itchy fingers from time to time to share so called "insight" but with whom? And why? If you really want to help people teach them to love and about karma. Those are the basics, but even that can be too much for too many. Some of my friends can't even love themselves and when told to try develop the love, they don't want to. So sharing even a word dharma is most difficult. Especially considering some mass platform when one does not have proper understanding.

It is better to share something inspired by dharma that will make people laugh, smile or push through obstacles even just for a while. That is better than "spreading dharma" as many people don't want to hear dharma.
Thank you so much for your reply. I have to say I really appreciate your perspective and I fear the same things. My thought is though that I want to put things out there to help people and if it is their karma they will come across it. I'm not looking to preach at people or force dharma on people I just wish to share my experience and meditations. I am not forcing it on anyone... I am merely putting my experience and the things I am being taught by monks and nuns in a way for people like me to find IF they search for them. I assure you, my friend, my intention is to help people gently if they seek it. I think other people our age (ie students at high school and university) could really benefit from seeing someone practicing dharma who is just like them (mental health issues, studying stress, being a college, having a job etc) and feeling so much better as a consequence - because dharma has really helped me for many years.
:heart: :namaste: :meditate:

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Only go where invited, only share when asked.

I only share Dharma stuff when specifically asked, with other practitioners, or when I think it’s relevant- even to non-Buddhists. Beyond that it’s too close to proselytizing for me.
His welcoming
& rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
he discerns rightly,
has gone, beyond becoming,
to the Further Shore.

-Lokavipatti Sutta

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Emma
Go to it Emma! Just do not make yourself the Dharma channel, post or share from the many Mahayana shastras by bodhisattvas and Buddha's sutras.

Buddha actually sent out his disciples in all directions to share & spread the Dharma. So proselytizing is good, but do not expect great results. Western folk are very critical and usually insist on fitting the Dharma to their own ideas. We do not often adjust our ideas to the Dharma, which is what is required.
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

WesleyP

Post by WesleyP » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:28 am

More like Coffeeshop Dharma from Book Illustration.

bryandavis

Post by bryandavis » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 am

I have recently started to use Instagram for Dharma things. I try to post only Dharma related images and art. I don't think spreading dharma needs to be approached in a preachy or proselytizing way. We also do not need to spread "teachings" to people, as in we do not need to "teach" people things.

Posting quotes, slogans, art images, dharanis, certain mantras, teachers images etc. This is all spreading Dharma. If you befriend others and they follow you or you pop up in a feed with hashtags or what not, then others will see these things and seeds planted. We don't need to be grandiose in our attempts.

So my opinion is yes, we can use social media to "spread" Dharma.

My Instagram has a whopping 70 followers.

@vidya_art

:cheers:
Bryan

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:20 am

:good: I like to share links, quotes, and such on Reddit. I have a Pure Land Tumblr but I've restarted it a few times. Time to add some stuff to the queue again :smile:
I think if someone responds positively to the beauty of a thangka or statue for example, that's a very good thing for them.
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

The Fundamental Vow [of Amitabha Buddha] is just for such people as woodcutters and grassgatherers, vegetable pickers, drawers of water and the like, illiterate folk who merely recite the Buddha's name wholeheartedly, confident that as a result of saying "Namu Amida Butsu" they will be born into the western land. -- Master Hōnen

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:24 am

bryandavis wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 am

@vidya_art

Bryan
78 + me being one of 'em now, bro. Love those pictures with Garchen Rinpoche :heart: .

Yeah you seem to be right, but at the same time I'd probably say I'd be quite careful what sort of pictures etc. I share, but I might be too conservative. I just am not a big fan of sharing pictures of wrathful and personal yidams or of one during practice. :D But yeah, you are still right.

MillennialBuddhist

Post by MillennialBuddhist » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:40 pm
Only go where invited, only share when asked.

I only share Dharma stuff when specifically asked, with other practitioners, or when I think it’s relevant- even to non-Buddhists. Beyond that it’s too close to proselytizing for me.
Totally understand. I dont really share with family and friends unless they ask...

MillennialBuddhist

Post by MillennialBuddhist » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:30 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Emma
Go to it Emma! Just do not make yourself the Dharma channel, post or share from the many Mahayana shastras by bodhisattvas and Buddha's sutras.

Buddha actually sent out his disciples in all directions to share & spread the Dharma. So proselytizing is good, but do not expect great results. Western folk are very critical and usually insist on fitting the Dharma to their own ideas. We do not often adjust our ideas to the Dharma, which is what is required.

Thank you so much for your support! It really means a lot to me! :heart:

MillennialBuddhist

Post by MillennialBuddhist » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 pm

bryandavis wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 am
I have recently started to use Instagram for Dharma things. I try to post only Dharma related images and art. I don't think spreading dharma needs to be approached in a preachy or proselytizing way. We also do not need to spread "teachings" to people, as in we do not need to "teach" people things.

Posting quotes, slogans, art images, dharanis, certain mantras, teachers images etc. This is all spreading Dharma. If you befriend others and they follow you or you pop up in a feed with hashtags or what not, then others will see these things and seeds planted. We don't need to be grandiose in our attempts.

So my opinion is yes, we can use social media to "spread" Dharma.

@vidya_art

Bryan

Hi Bryan!

This is almost exactly what I am doing. Except I'm using Instagram to share short meditations, quotes, teachings, pictures of my buddha statues etc. I'm not forcing it on anyone as you said just using tags and it appears the right people are coming across it! I'm already receiving messages that people are enjoying it and its helping them in their daily life!

I will follow you right now! I'm @themillennialbuddhist :D

MillennialBuddhist

Post by MillennialBuddhist » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Mönlam Tharchin wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:20 am
:good: I like to share links, quotes, and such on Reddit. I have a Pure Land Tumblr but I've restarted it a few times. Time to add some stuff to the queue again :smile:
I think if someone responds positively to the beauty of a thangka or statue for example, that's a very good thing for them.
Absolutely! Seeing a buddha image in the mind creates a cause for enlightenment so pure it cannot be destroyed :heart:

justsit

Post by justsit » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:49 pm

My only caveat would be, when you quote the Buddha or a text, make sure you quote accurately from a reliable source. Do a google search for "Buddha quotes" or "Dalai Lama quotes" and almost everything you find is new age BS.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:43 pm

justsit wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:49 pm
My only caveat would be, when you quote the Buddha or a text, make sure you quote accurately from a reliable source. Do a google search for "Buddha quotes" or "Dalai Lama quotes" and almost everything you find is new age BS.
Yes, this is a real problem.

"Like, be kind and groovy and learn to let go"

-Buddha
His welcoming
& rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
he discerns rightly,
has gone, beyond becoming,
to the Further Shore.

-Lokavipatti Sutta

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 pm

justsit wrote:
Yep.

Hopefully more use will be made of the Sutra Studies section here; chock full of real Dharma.
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

MillennialBuddhist

Post by MillennialBuddhist » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:17 am

justsit wrote:
Dont worry I quote from books written by the Dalai lama and Geshe Kelsang Gyatsu and Shunryu Suzuki etc etc

I loooove reading books. Buddhist books that is. I dont like fiction... but I never quote from the internet :)

MillennialBuddhist

Post by MillennialBuddhist » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:18 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:43 pm
justsit wrote:
Yes, this is a real problem.

"Like, be kind and groovy and learn to let go"

-Buddha
Dont worry guys I quote books :heart:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”