Learning a lesson

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
muni

Re: Learning a lesson

Post by muni » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:31 am

I feel like at a spiritual level I am quite immature; like I have had spiritual experience from many lifetimes, and lifetimes with spiritual experience, but it didn't translate into a lot of spiritual maturity; I feel like I've walked the egoic path many times.
I am sure all recognize your illustration and we all are here to learn a lesson.

It depends how you see the egoic path.
Of course trust-faith in the guided teachings of Buddha is not the same as trust in our habitual (compounded) self.

Discernment can be very helpful for us, or looking inside. I remember a saying that to do so, is a much bigger adventure then to do a travel around the world. But mostly we are not interested in that, or better said the mental activity we are so used to identify with, we just trust. Because that we know and we are. ( ?)

If we grasp to-or identify with the changing mind, I copy something;" it includes sense perception, verbal and abstract thought, emotions, feelings of happiness and unhappiness, attention, concentration, intelligence..." that is then what you mean with ego or independent self? Because that is what we know and accept we are. I feel that importance of " we know" is trusting in these perceptions, feelings and so on.
https://studybuddhism.com/en/essentials ... at-is-mind

Inquiry, discernment, rushan by guidance, oh well I lack more names, (however it is called is not the importance) to see how there is grasping in own mind and how there is no grasping, this is a way then to allow clarity to arise on our path. Or to allow suffering to decrease what we can only wish for all and all to be so. There are many different ways, there are little extra helps.
We can mature to recognize what is grasping or clinging.

Other ways from mistaken basis comes even grasping to Buddhism, to my practice, mine, I am such or such Buddhist…, all this can turn in grasping while the meaning is to be freed from this clinging habit, and so not to grasp to what should liberate from such.

Faith however is so important, at least for me.
Grace as you said as a support. I agree, the four boundless ones can shine through it. Best wishes. :anjali:
Which human beings are “fortunate and connected?” They are the ones who generate love, compassion, and devotion, as well as the commitment to remain steadfast on the path until all beings are liberated. Venerable Khenpo Rinpoches.

Not to identify oneself with something, or to associate things with the 'me,' and to see that the idea that there is a 'me,' which is distinct from things, is a delusion. H H Dalai Lama.

muni

Post by muni » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:54 am

Oops now! I read back here. In case I am of topic, sorry.

But I would like to make clear my chatter; I try nothing to throw out in a bin, but I mean just be aware, that at least I find very helpful.

PS I play amazing *grace* on the piano. I had only the music notes, not the words. Now I saw the text on google lyrics.

Ok. :smile:
Which human beings are “fortunate and connected?” They are the ones who generate love, compassion, and devotion, as well as the commitment to remain steadfast on the path until all beings are liberated. Venerable Khenpo Rinpoches.

Not to identify oneself with something, or to associate things with the 'me,' and to see that the idea that there is a 'me,' which is distinct from things, is a delusion. H H Dalai Lama.

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:30 am

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:54 pm
I have noticed that you use the term ‘ego’ a lot. As it does not equate to any concept in either Theravada or Mahayana philosophy, being as it is a term invented by western psychology, it might be useful if you defined it.

abt 55-61 mins
I mean, whole meetings without ego, how cool is that?!
Not that the whole speech isn't fascinating, but it lacks some conciseness
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:54 pm
I have noticed that you use the term ‘ego’ a lot. As it does not equate to any concept in either Theravada or Mahayana philosophy, being as it is a term invented by western psychology, it might be useful if you defined it.
I think when I refer to ego I refer to the part of me that operates from a self centered and immature place; seeking material satisfaction, acting selfishly, also acting without higher wisdom (acting impulsively, acting without thinking out consequences).

I think from an utimate sense ego is an illusion, but it seems like something that exists relatively.

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks for the replies. Your posts were helpful.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”