What morning rituals do you have? How do you "use" your Buddhist shrine?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
TheTraveler0203

What morning rituals do you have? How do you "use" your Buddhist shrine?

Post by TheTraveler0203 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Hello! I just made my first Buddhist shrine and I don't know why but I feel something like an urge, in the morning usually when I wake up, to say something or to have some sort of ritual to start the day with the right mindset and to keep focus on the Dharma along the day and I was curious to know what kind of rituals you do? Do you say a mantra or recite a mantra? Or do you have your own mantra, your own words? If yes please let me know :twothumbsup:

All the best to you!

Miroku
Former staff member

Re: What morning rituals do you have? How do you "use" your Buddhist shrine?

Post by Miroku » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 pm

There are so many things one can do really. Depends on your tradition or how elaborate you can be.

When I have the time or remember to do it. I like to offer a bowl of water (as I have only one bowl at home at the moment) and offer it to all the buddhas and bodhisattvas and masters. Also try to develop a little bit of love and compassion or devotion and with that feeling I do few prostrations in my mind visualizing the field of merit (Buddhas bodhisattvas masters, etc) and thinking only "may all being benefit".
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:17 am

Mine has the traditional representations of the Buddha’s body speech and mind, other than that it’s pretty crazy, like an art project or something. I take refuge and just hang out sometimes, do nothing for a few minutes before the day starts, other times short practices.
His welcoming
& rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
he discerns rightly,
has gone, beyond becoming,
to the Further Shore.

-Lokavipatti Sutta

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:44 am

I keep my necklace, wedding ring and work id on my shrine, so in the morning I just offer incense with a quick homage to chenrizig.
I don’t have a ton of time in the morning

TheTraveler0203

Post by TheTraveler0203 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:41 am

Miroku wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 pm
There are so many things one can do really. Depends on your tradition or how elaborate you can be.
I don't know I feel so blessed to discovered this path so soon in my life (I'm 19) that I feel like I just want to say some words like a mantra, in Portuguese (my native language), to pay my respects for the teachings and the Buddha and to make me start the day with the Dharma in mind so I can keep a better focus in my practice along the day. Do you have any idea of some mantras that I could say? I would prefer if they were on English but Sanskrit is also ok

Thank you :)

TheTraveler0203

Post by TheTraveler0203 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 am

Thank you for sharing! :bow:
Just one question just because I'm still kinda new to Buddhism
What do you mean by "taking refuge and just hang out sometimes" and "short practices"?

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:48 pm

TheTraveler0203 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:41 am
Miroku wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 pm
I don't know I feel so blessed to discovered this path so soon in my life (I'm 19) that I feel like I just want to say some words like a mantra, in Portuguese (my native language), to pay my respects for the teachings and the Buddha and to make me start the day with the Dharma in mind so I can keep a better focus in my practice along the day. Do you have any idea of some mantras that I could say? I would prefer if they were on English but Sanskrit is also ok

Thank you :)
It is okay we all have started someday.

Well, in this case I suggest do few prostrations or bow and recite the mahayana refuge prayer. It is the best prayer one can do in many ways. Taking refuge is the first and very important step on the way. Taking refuge protects us in this life and in the next life. There is really no danger that cannot be averted with refuge. Also the merit of taking refuge is immeasurable. You can do it in Portugese too.
Until I am enlightened, I take refuge
In the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
Through the merit I create by practicing giving and the other perfections
May I attain Buddhahood for the sake of all sentient beings.

Sangye choe dang tsok kyi chok nam la
Jang chup bar du dak ni kyap su chi
Dak gi jin sok gyi pay sonam kyi
Dro la phen chir sangye drup par shok
There are many translations of this prayer and I bet it is also present in Portugese.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:07 pm

As Tibetan buddhist I try to practice giving. I offer bowls of water, imagining I give drink, washing water, flowers, incense, fragrance oils, food and music to all buddhas and bodhisattvas. It is like welcoming them. In the evening I empty the bowls just like shown in the video.
The bowls on my shrine are smaler.

For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Dear OP, I don't know if you have formally become a Buddhist and belong to a specific lineage or not. As a Vajrayana Buddhist, I offer seven bowls of water, incense, and candles every morning at my altar. Other traditional offerings could include flowers and fruit or baked goods. Then I do three prostrations before sitting down to do my first session morning practice. Depending on one's lineage, there are typically prayers that go along with making these kinds of offerings. The following are just some examples. However, you should follow your own Teacher's lead or the lineage to which you belong.

Dudjom Lingpa’s Water-offering Prayer

HUNG
YEN-LAG GYED-DEN DUD-TSII DZING-BU-DI
CHOM-DEN KHOR-DANG CHAY-LA BUL-WAR-GYI
ZHE-NAY DAG-DANG SEM-CHEN THAM-CHED-KYI
TSHOG-DZOG DRIB-DAG KHOR-WA DONG-TRUG-SHOG

This pool of amrit endowed with eight qualities
Is offered to the Bhagawans and Their retinues.
May They accept this so that I and all sentient beings
May complete the accumulations and purify obscurations so that samsara is dredged from its depths.

OM SAR-WA TA-THA-GA-TA SA-PA-RI-WA-RA AR-GHAM PRA-TI-TSA PU-DZA ME-GHA SA-MU-DRA SA-PHA-RA-NA SA-MA-YA AH HUNG

Ju Mipham’s Butter Lamp Offering Prayer

RIG-PA KA-DAG NANG-SAL DRON-ME-DI
RIG-DZIN PED-JUNG KYIL-KHOR LHA-LA--BUL
RIG-PAY GAR-KHYAB MAR-GYUR SEM-CHEN-KUN
RIG-TONG CHO-KUI LONG-DU DROL-WAR-SHOG

I offer this brilliantly burning lamp of alpha-pure rigpa
To the mandala of Dieties of the Vidyadhara Padmasambhava.
Rigpa pervades wherever all mother sentient beings exist.
May they be liberated into rigpa-emptiness, the vaste expanse of Dharmakaya.

OM SAR-WA TA-THA-GA-TA SA-PA-RI-WA-RA A-LO-KE PRA-TI-TSA PU-DZA ME-GHA SA-MU-DRA SA-PA-RA-NA SA-MA-YA AH HUNG

Ju Mipham’s Incense-offering Prayer

TSUL-THRIM DRI-DEN PO-CHOG DAM-PA-DI
TING-DZIN NGAG-DANG CHAG-GYAY JIN-LAB-TE
SANG-GAY ZHING-DU PO-DRI NGED-DANG-WA
GYAL-WA GYA-TSHOI TSHOG-NAM NYEY-GYUR-CHIG

OM SAR-WA TA-THA-GA-TA SA-PA-RI-WA-RA DHU-PE PRA-TI-TSA PU-DZA ME-GHA SA-MU-DRA SA-PA-RA-NA SA-MA-YA AH HUNG

May the scent of this excellent incense, perfumed by discipline,
Blessed by concentration, mantra, and mudra,
Rise to the Buddha fields
[And] please the ocean[-like] assembly of Victors.

Flower Offering Mantra

I prostrate to the Tathagata Shri Pushpe.

TAD-YA-THA
PUSH-PE PUSH-PE SI-PUSH-PE SO-HA [21x]

After having arranged the flowers, recite the mantra 21 times. Then sprinkle the flowers on a stupa or Tathagata. If you do that, all your wishes will be fulfilled and all your negative karma will be purified.

Chagdud Rinpoche’s Offering Prayer

OM AH HUNG
OD-KYI TONG-SUM SAL-WAI MAR-ME-LAY
DRANG-MED KUN-ZANG CHOD-PAI TRIN-THRO-WA
GYUD-SUM LA-MA GYAL-WA SAY-DANG-CHAY
YI-DAM SHI-THRO KHA-DRO CHO-KYONG-DANG

NOR-LHA TER-DAG KAR-KHYOG KYONG-KUN-LA
GUD-PAY BUL-LO TSE-WAY SHEY-SU-SOL
CHOD-YUL NAM-KYI THUG-JE JIN-LAB-DANG
DI-TSON DU-SUM SAG-PAI GE-WAI-THU

PAL-DEN LA-MAI KU-TSHE RAB-TEN-CHING
TEN-PAI JIN-DAG NGA-THANG DAR-WA-YI
CHO-SID MI-NUB NOR-BUI GYAL-TSEN-DRENG
TSHO-KYE GYAL-WAI TEN-PA GYAY-GYUR-CHIG

DAG-LA ZANG-NGEN LAY-KYI DREL-GYUR-GANG
NAY-KAB THAR-THUG GYAL-WAY JE-DZIN-SHOG
DRO-NAM LA-MED THEG-PAI GOR-SHUG-NAY
KUN-ZANG GYAL-SID CHEN-PO THOB-PAR-SHOG

As these butter lamps illuminate the three-thousand-fold universe,
The countless clouds of Samantrabhadra’s offerings billow forth.
To the Lamas of the three lineages, the Victors and [Their] Heirs, the Peaceful and Wrathful Deities, the Dakinis, Dharma Protectors,

Wealth Deities, Lords of Terma, and protectors of the white side,
I offer these with devotion.
Through the power of the compassion and blessings of those to Whom we offer
And the power of this offering and the virtue we gather in the three times,

May the lives of the glorious Gurus be long
And may the wealth and power of the patrons of the teachings increase
So that the jeweled victory banner of undiminished spiritual and worldly prosperity may be raised.
May the Teachings of the Lake-born Victor increase.

May all those with whom we have had either good or bad karmic connections
Be embraced by the Victors now and ultimately.
May all wanderers enter the door of the peerless vehicle
And attain the supreme dominion of Samantrabhadra.

For offerings flowers, incense, food, or water, substitute for the first line each of the following lines respectively:

KHA-DONG NA-TSHOG TRA-WAI ME-TOG-LAY
From these flowers of many varieties and vivid hues…

JAR-DANG LHEN-KYE DRI-ZANG DUG-PO-LAY
From these fragrant incenses of both natural scents and perfumes…

RO-CHUD NU-PA PHUN-TSHOG ZHAL-ZAY-LAY
From these nutritious foods replete with flavor and potency…

YEN-LAG GYED-DANG DEN-PAI CHOD-YON-LAY
From this water endowed with the eights qualities…

Mantra for Multiplying the Merit of Prostrations

NA-MO MAN-JU-SHRI-YE
NA-MA SU-SHRI-YE
NA-MO UT-TA-MA SHRI-YE SO-HA

Multiplies the merit of prostrations by 1,000x. One can also add:

CHOM-DEN-DE DE-ZHIN SHEG-PA DRA-CHOM-PA YANG-DAG-PA DZOG-PAI SANG-GAY RIN-CHEN GYAL-TSHEN-LA CHAG-TSHAL-LO (7x)

OM NA-MO BHA-GA-WA-TE RAT-NA KE-TU RA-DZA-YA TA-THA-GA-TA-YA AR-HA-TE SAM-YAK SAM-BUD-DHA-YA TAD-YA-THA OM RAT-NE RAT-NE MA-HA RAT-NE RAT-NA BI-ZA-YE SO-HA (7x)

This multiplies millions of times.

Simple Vajrayana prayer when doing prostrations:

NA-MO LA-MA-LA KYAB-SU-CHI-O
NA-MO SANG-GAY-LA KYAB-SU-CHI-O
NA-MO CHO-LA KYAB-SU-CHI-O
NA-MO GE-DUN-LA KYAB-SU-CHI-O

I take take refuge in the Guru.
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the Dharma.
I take refuge in the Sangha.

Dear OP, good luck and best wishes on your treading the Buddhist path. May you swiftly achieve all your wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:35 pm

I wake up about an hour before anyone else in my house. One of the first things I do every morning is change the water for my plant cutting offerings and offer water. If I got some fruit the day before or made rice, I offer some on the altar. Then, after feeding the cat and the fish, I sit down, open the Butsudan, light candles and incense, and formally offer these things to the buddhas, bodhisattvas, and sages in the ten directions. I offer gratitude and propitiation to the earthly and dharma protectors for the security they bring and pray that they continue. I take refuge in the Three Jewels. I confess transgressions of the six senses and make resolutions to end the transgressions. I reflect on the great fortune of encountering the Dharma that is rarely encountered and being able to accept it and practice it. I chant excerpts of commentaries and sutras. Dedicate merit to ancestors (I'm East Asian, I have to) and all beings in the ten directions. I reflect on the stainless nature of Mind. I affirm my vow to help all beings, to overcome all klesa, to learn all dharmas, and attain awakening as soon as possible.

Takes about 30 minutes if I abbreviate and stay focused. Can take hours if I let myself take my time or I undertake recitation of longer commentaries or sutras or delve deep into contemplation of the stainless nature of mind. If I really have no time, I change the water for the clippings, offer water and food, bow, take refuge, pray for the propagation of dharma and happiness of all beings, and go on my way. That takes minutes.

Unless something is really wrong, or the usual routine is disrupted, I try to never miss, even if its just affirming refuge under my breath.

But, to the main question, the seat before the Butsudan is my place of practice. That space is, for lack of a better word, sacred. I try to organize my world around that seat.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”