Are we on the right track in learning Buddha

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Re: What / who is Buddha / Siddharta ?

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

CSEe wrote: So who is Siddharta , lets share from own awareness / common sense ok .
Siddhartha is the name of the young prince before he achieved buddhahood. He was raised in luxury and then once he saw some realities of life, he left home to become an aesthetic. He found that that pursuit wasn't satisfying and went on his own to find a way to escape suffering. He went on his own and meditated and searched, and attained buddhahood. He chose to share the way with all of us so we can attain liberation from suffering as well. His first teaching is called the Four Noble Truths. If you follow that link you can also learn about the Eight Fold Path.

Best,
Laura
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

CSEe wrote: So who is Siddharta , lets share from own awareness / common sense ok .
Why do you think that common sense is useful? Or valid?

Here is a version of Siddhartha's life before and after his enlightenment. Why do you think it isn't valid?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Hanzze

Re: Are we on the right track in learning Buddha

Post by Hanzze »

One Teaching

There was once a young monk who studied assiduously every day, but he could not learn all of the scriptures and precepts. So he became distressed. He couldn‘t eat or sleep, and he grew weak and thin.
Finally, he approached the Buddha. „Lord, please take back my robe. There are many teachings, and I cannot master them all. I am not fit to be a monk.“
The Buddha answered, „Do not worry. To be free, you must master only one thing.”
“Please teach me,” begged the monk. “If you give me just one practice, I will do it wholeheartedly, and I am sure that I can Succeed.”
So the Buddha told him, “Master the mind. When you have mastered the mind, you will know everything.”
When we master the mind, we are free from all suffering. There is no need for any other teaching.

(from "Step by Step" by Maha Ghosananda)
Just that! :-)
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Hanzze wrote:One Teaching

There was once a young monk who studied assiduously every day, but he could not learn all of the scriptures and precepts. So he became distressed. He couldn‘t eat or sleep, and he grew weak and thin.
Finally, he approached the Buddha. „Lord, please take back my robe. There are many teachings, and I cannot master them all. I am not fit to be a monk.“
The Buddha answered, „Do not worry. To be free, you must master only one thing.”
“Please teach me,” begged the monk. “If you give me just one practice, I will do it wholeheartedly, and I am sure that I can Succeed.”
So the Buddha told him, “Master the mind. When you have mastered the mind, you will know everything.”
When we master the mind, we are free from all suffering. There is no need for any other teaching.

:good:
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

TMingyur wrote:
CSEe wrote:Buddhism is NOT a religion
Religion or not. What is it that cares?

Kind regards
Hi TMingyur , I thought I "lost" you .
You see , if in some religion I could not ask / could not challange but strickly I have to follow all belief , no question asked .
In search of Buddha , I want to belief I am free to belief or debate , that is the core / beuty of Siddharta's message . He wishes human to continue explore .
I am of the opinion that if Buddha not associated with any tradition / culture or regards any texts / monks of so call " master" as referral but more focus on what is actually might lead to Siddharta's search / his wishes and promote self exploration just maybe we had move / developed much-much faster like computer's science .
Just maybe in some culture , I belief Buddhism is perform like religion / beliefs . Yes i admit is not wrong even put Siddharta's statues in martial art hall or in bars . But if some regard to as buddha since I was done by " master" then It can be easily mistaken .
Last edited by CSEe on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

Hanzze wrote:One Teaching

Thks sir , this a good quote which i can easily agrees that is my point of gaining awareness not knowledge .
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

TMingyur wrote:
CSEe wrote:My perception of Buddha is different .
what is your perception ...?
When there is this then that comes to be.

Kind regards

I am not quite understand you .
sorry
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Hi CSEe, It is said that the Buddha's realization was inexpressible, and this is why he sat under the Bodhi tree for a week after attaining enlightenment, without closing his eyes. After this, through compassion he began the journey of communicating this realization in conditional relative ways, through language, gesture, and sometimes again in silence. But these methods, -84,000 different teachings it is said- are all customized to the capacities of the various minds of sentient beings to be tamed, and are merely pointing in the direction of the inexpressible awakening the Buddha became inseparable from. But because the Buddha, in his vast compassion, turned the wheel of Dharma and left us these pointing out instructions, we can only benefit through studying them. If we can find the teaching that fits our mind's capacity the best, and follow it with great diligence, we are sure to purify our ignorance and arrive in that awakened state ourselves, sooner or later. I don't know if you have read any Sutras, as was suggested by one poster, but they can be vastly inspiring and profound. Here is one of the most studied, meditated on, and recited sutras in the history of Buddhism- the Heart Sutra, or the Perfection of Wisdom:

Thus have I heard.

Once the Blessed One was dwelling in Rajagriha at Vulture Peak mountain, together with a great gathering of the sangha of monks and a great gathering of the sangha of bodhisattvas. At that time the Blessed One entered the samadhi that expresses the dharma called “profound illumination,” and at the same time noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, while practicing the profound prajñaparamita, saw in this way: he saw the five skandhas to be empty of nature.

Then, through the power of the Buddha, venerable Shariputra said to noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, “How should a son or daughter of noble family train, who wishes to practice the profound prajñaparamita?”

Addressed in this way, noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, said to venerable Shariputra, “O Shariputra, a son or daughter of noble family who wishes to practice the profound prajñaparamita should see in this way: seeing the five skandhas to be empty of nature. Form is emptiness; emptiness also is form. Emptiness is no other than form; form is no other than emptiness. In the same way, feeling perception, formation, and consciousness are emptiness. Thus, Shariputra, all dharmas are emptiness. There are no characteristics. There is no birth and no cessation. There is no impurity and no purity. There is no decrease and no increase. Therefore, Shariputra, in emptiness, there is no form, no feeling, no perception, no formation, no consciousness; no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind; no appearance, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch, no dharmas; no eye dhatu up to no mind dhatu, no dhatu of dharmas, no mind consciousness dhatu; no ignorance, no end of ignorance up to no old age and death, no end of old age and death; no suffering, no origin of suffering, no cessation of suffering, no path, no wisdom, no attainment, and no nonattainment. Therefore, Shariputra, since the bodhisattvas have no attainment, they abide by means of prajñaparamita. Since there is no obscuration of mind, there is no fear. They transcend falsity and attain complete nirvana. All the buddhas of the three times, by means of prajñaparamita, fully awaken to unsurpassable, true, complete enlightenment. Therefore, the great mantra of prajñaparamita, the mantra of great insight, the unsurpassed mantra, the unequaled mantra, the mantra that calms all suffering should be known as truth, since there is no deception. The prajñaparamita mantra is said in this way:

OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA

Thus, Shariputra, the bodhisattva mahasattva should train in the profound prajñaparamita.” Then the Blessed One arose from that samadhi and praised noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, saying, “Good, good, O son of noble family; thus it is, O son of noble family, thus it is. One should practice the profound prajñaparamita just as you have taught and all the Tathagatas will rejoice.”

When the Blessed One had said this, venerable Shariputra and noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, that whole assembly and the world with its gods, humans, asuras and gandharvas rejoiced and praised the words of the Blessed One.

This concludes the “Heart-Essence of the Prajnaparamita.”
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

plwk wrote:Ok lets hear from the man himself...so that all here can understand you better and avoid jumping to conclusions...

What is 'Buddha' to you?
What have you known on 'Siddharta'?

Please share with us? :buddha1:
Dear Mr piwk , surely you will get me into trouble ....I took your advise "listen to others and see before give any remarks "

Let not talk about Buddha or Siddharta at this point . Let me tell you ...if I may ....true story about myself . I was in depression , suffering fear of not knowing on afterdeath , fear that I will forever ever lost from this world since aged 10 until aged 18 . I remember when I was 14 ,I could not even close my eyes at night worry that I will lost forever .
Since age 10 , I could not care much about myself but eager to know what will happen to me after I die but when I sincerely do good , this makes me feel good but when i do something without thinking good or selfish it will makes me regretted my act . I came to know Siddharta story from my school text book and with that I had already have my own perception on him , later in my life as I grow older I have my perception on Buddha .
Later only this few years back I started to learn about internet I be able to communicate with others .
I tried to read some buddha books before but I just cant digest it at all but I really likes gossip about him just like I like gossip about Micheal Jackson .
I found out that there are many quote / many "teaching" which said to be from him I could easily agrees but many more just cant fit in so I choose to believe not from him .

Piwk , I am new here so as what you said let other give thier view and learned .
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
Siddhartha is the name of the young prince before he achieved buddhahood. He was raised in luxury and then once he saw some realities of life, he left home to become an aesthetic. He found that that pursuit wasn't satisfying and went on his own to find a way to escape suffering. He went on his own and meditated and searched, and attained buddhahood. He chose to share the way with all of us so we can attain liberation from suffering as well. His first teaching is called the Four Noble Truths. If you follow that link you can also learn about the Eight Fold Path.

Best,
Laura

Hi laura , thanks for sharing .
CSEe

What actually when wrong after Siddharta found Buddha ?

Post by CSEe »

Dear all , I belief that before Mr Siddharta found Buddha from his search , he was suffering from fear of aging / sickness and death but I belief his ultimate fear is FEAR OF NOT KNOWING .
After he found Buddha , I belief he understood this suffering and was free from any suffering of these fear .So why I still cry on funeral? Worry to get cancer? worry to choose my coffin ?

I am of the opinion that if he could really passed on his finding to his follower and continues for more than 2500 years untill now , I believe we will never know " Suffering " of fear on aging / sickness or death . The world will be a total different world .

What actually when wrong ?
Is he fail to teach ?
Is his follower not be able to learn ?
Or his teaching was wrongly quoted by "ego / selfish " human ?
Or something wrong with the method of learning ?
So something is not right , what is that ?
Lets be sincere and be possitif .
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Re: What actually when wrong after Siddharta found Buddha ?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings CSEe,

Why do you keep repeatedly starting topics on exactly the same topic?

:?

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
plwk

Post by plwk »

You see , if in some religion I could not ask / could not challange but strickly I have to follow all belief , no question asked .
I cannot speak for other religions (other than Christianity, my former faith) but I do not think that the Buddha intended it to be that way but one answer is found in your own post here...
Just maybe in some culture , I belief Buddhism is perform like religion / beliefs .
In search of Buddha , I want to belief I am free to belief or debate , that is the core / beuty of Siddharta's message .
1. Since you have not shared with us precisely what is 'Buddha' to you and what have you known on 'Siddharta', then may I assume that 'Buddha' and 'Siddharta' are just plain words like 'cat' and 'dog'?
2. When one has true and proper conviction in something, of what use is 'belief' and 'debate'? To re-inforce one's own ego?
3. How is 'freedom' defined by you?
To be free from suffering or the temporary convenience of a self-deluded mind not wishing to see true reality as it is?
He wishes human to continue explore .
True but surely with a purpose, path and goal...otherwise even a fly going around aimlessly is also 'exploring'...
I am of the opinion if Buddha not associated with any tradition / culture or regards any texts / monks of so call " master" as referral but more focus on what is actually might lead to Siddharta's search / his wishes and promote self exploration just maybe we had move / developed much-much faster like computer's science .
Here's something to think about...
Ever thought what is the human tradition/culture rooted in? Birth, sickness, old age and death...
Faster or slower, has science all the answers to the matter of ending one's birth and death?
The Buddha had. Those who walked and validated the same Path with their lives as He did had.
And there is a legacy of records left behind for generations after to explore that Path with one's own direct experience, for our convenience.
What has your 'self-exploration' come out with so far in dealing with that other than wanting to be free to believe and debate?
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

Hi Adamantine , thks for the story yes i do enjoy it alot . I could easily agrees .
As I belief all living / non-living in this world and entire universe is a form of energy that constantly tranformed / evolved / changing shapes / under-go purification process , to be pure / to be empty - to be Buddha . Buddha is the original energy of pure / free of any poluttant of emptiness .
In Buddha there are nothing , no desire of good or bad , no true or false , no right or wrong , no materials or body , no shape or sound , nothing a pure emptiness . Yes I do belief in Buddha we have poluttant we call it life , when will free of all desire of good or bad , free of any emotion , a total empty - that is Buddha .

So Sir , I belief Siddharta is the introducer of this energy to human but he is not associated with this energy .
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings CSEe,

Why do you keep repeatedly starting topics on exactly the same topic?

:?

Metta,
Retro. :)

Oops , sorry sir I forgot . I enter too many site i guess and sometime I get confused .

Thks for understanding .
Ee
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

CSEe wrote:Dear all , I belief that before Mr Siddharta found Buddha from his search , he was suffering from fear of aging / sickness and death but I belief his ultimate fear is FEAR OF NOT KNOWING .
After he found Buddha , I belief he understood this suffering and was free from any suffering of these fear .So why I still cry on funeral? Worry to get cancer? worry to choose my coffin ?

I am of the opinion that if he could really passed on his finding to his follower and continues for more than 2500 years untill now , I believe we will never know " Suffering " of fear on aging / sickness or death . The world will be a total different world .

Is he fail to teach ?
If you study the teachings, read the right books and talk to those with greater knowledge you will find all all the answers you need. :buddha1:
plwk

Post by plwk »

So why I still cry on funeral? Worry to get cancer? worry to choose my coffin ?
Other than yourself, who can answer on your behalf? When you can figure this out, let us know.
By the way, with a confused Mind, there will be many more tears, funerals, and coffins coming up...like it or not.
What is certain? Death (and some say taxes and for some a mother-in-law)
What is uncertain? Life
The Buddha found the Deathless Path. When is your turn?
How nice isn't it? Wouldn't it be so ideal? But are we living in an ideal world?
Can awareness of suffering be forced upon anyone?
Ever seen a pig being washed clean only to run back rolling in the mud pool with great delight?
Ever tried telling a rich man that he is suffering? Ever tried telling a poor man that poverty can be overcomed?
Ever tried telling a young person on what is aging, sickness, death? Ever tried telling an old man to mend his old ways?
Ask oneself, each time one wants to change for the better, why is it so tough?
A teacher can only instruct so much but it is up to a student to follow...
1. What actually when wrong ?
2. Is he fail to teach ?
3. Is his follower not be able to learn ?
4. Or his teaching was wrongly quoted by "ego / selfish " human ?
5. Or something wrong with the method of learning ?
6. So something is not right , what is that ?
1. "When this is, that is.
From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that."
2. He taught for 45 years with all kinds of methods
3. There were some who chose not to but He never gave up on them...
4. There's always a bad apple...
5. Well, there's always some who like their own way isn't it...
6. Oneself...
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

Tilopa wrote:
CSEe wrote:Dear all , I belief that before Mr Siddharta found Buddha from his search , he was suffering from fear of aging / sickness and death but I belief his ultimate fear is FEAR OF NOT KNOWING .

Is he fail to teach ?
If you study the teachings, read the right books and talk to those with greater knowledge you will find all all the answers you need. :buddha1:
Dear Sir , I could agree with you infact this matter is not really important to me now since we are already in this world and basicly is impossible to acheive common awareness with such a huge population , Just that I always hope "WhAT IF" that really happen , i am now free of all suffering .

Maybe reading his history ( in my case I prefer to call it as gossip ) will help some but the feeling of " WHAT IF " still inside me .
like "What if" I win billions dollors lottery, I guess you know what i meant .
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

plwk wrote:
So why I still cry on funeral? Worry to get cancer? worry to choose my coffin ?
Other than yourself, who can answer on your behalf? When you can figure this out, let us know.
By the way, with a confused Mind, there will be many more tears, funerals, and coffins coming up...like it or not.
What is certain? Death (and some say taxes and for some a mother-in-law)
What is uncertain? Life
The Buddha found the Deathless Path. When is your turn?
How nice isn't it? Wouldn't it be so ideal? But are we living in an ideal world?
Can awareness of suffering be forced upon anyone?
Ever seen a pig being washed clean only to run back rolling in the mud pool with great delight?
Ever tried telling a rich man that he is suffering? Ever tried telling a poor man that poverty can be overcomed?
Ever tried telling a young person on what is aging, sickness, death? Ever tried telling an old man to mend his old ways?
Ask oneself, each time one wants to change for the better, why is it so tough?
A teacher can only instruct so much but it is up to a student to follow...
1. What actually when wrong ?
2. Is he fail to teach ?
3. Is his follower not be able to learn ?
4. Or his teaching was wrongly quoted by "ego / selfish " human ?
5. Or something wrong with the method of learning ?
6. So something is not right , what is that ?
1. "When this is, that is.
From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that."
2. He taught for 45 years with all kinds of methods
3. There were some who chose not to but He never gave up on them...
4. There's always a bad apple...
5. Well, there's always some who like their own way isn't it...
6. Oneself...

Dear Sir , thanks again for reply and I really welcome your feedback . You had forward to me many question I guess you know the answer already , Your message is noted and appreciated .
Frankly , i think Mr Siddharta was wrongly quoted . His message / finding was wrongly interpret due to human ego / selfishness to learn but more on "teaching" others of what he believed regards to Mr Siddharta finding .
I realised that many will say , I am talking about my own ego , let be it . Is common sense to me in this current world many people especially the one who claim to be "master" when talk about Mr Siddharta's teaching , they will claim to know alot seems Mr Siddharta like his father .
maybe same happening here .
The fact is too many "master" , too many "writing" can be easily considered as referral to Buddha and mis-leading . Too many cooks spoil the soup .
Buddhism is now mixed with local culture / local belief with local practise due to what? DUE TO HUMAN EGO , everybody just want to teach .
In search of Buddha I think we have to limit ourself to know as little of his so call " teaching" since we do not know what is his or not but try more focus on his fear / his search and try to see what he saw by own awareness .
I belief we are all in the same bus even the driver will arrived the same time but if we could share awareness / share story in the bus it will make the trip more interesting / seems shorter .

My languange is not really good , but try to understand my message .

Thks/Rdgs
ee
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

CSEe wrote:Hi Adamantine , thks for the story yes i do enjoy it alot . I could easily agrees .
As I belief all living / non-living in this world and entire universe is a form of energy that constantly tranformed / evolved / changing shapes / under-go purification process , to be pure / to be empty - to be Buddha . Buddha is the original energy of pure / free of any poluttant of emptiness .
In Buddha there are nothing , no desire of good or bad , no true or false , no right or wrong , no materials or body , no shape or sound , nothing a pure emptiness . Yes I do belief in Buddha we have poluttant we call it life , when will free of all desire of good or bad , free of any emotion , a total empty - that is Buddha .

So Sir , I belief Siddharta is the introducer of this energy to human but he is not associated with this energy .
CSEe, In the Mahayana view of Buddha's teachings it is understood that rather then introducing some new energy into the world, he actually discovered the true primordial nature of mind itself. It is said, all sentient beings, -not just humans, have Buddha Nature. It is just obscured, veiled, --stained, through the habitual tendencies arising from a basic dualistic pattern. of grasping and aversion. Now there are many fantastic and illuminating teachings on Buddha Nature itself, and many are explained profoundly in the Uttaratantra which Dzongsar Khyentse very clearly explains for us. You can download the free PDF here: siddharthasintent.org/community/pdf/UttaratantraDJKR.pdf
An excerpt:
"Now we come to a thorough explanation of why there are the Three Jewels. There are four reasons:
1. When the Buddha-nature is accompanied or wrapped by stains or defilements 2. When the same Buddha-nature is free from these temporary defilements 3. This Buddha has all the great qualities such as the ten powers. 4. And this Buddha manifests, with infinite activity, in order to benefit sentient
beings.

Sarwa Mangalam!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”