Images at a home of a lay person

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Images at a home of a lay person

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi,

I am studying Gampopa at the moment and in the Jewel Ornament he mentions that it is wrong to have sex near representation of the Buddha. Which, is understandable, however what about being a lay person in a flat with only one room? I have considered to cover the altar which would be best, however that could be rather hard to realize since I don't even own a hammer. What are your thoughts on this? Should I worry about it?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Images at a home of a lay person

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Blankets?
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:03 pm

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:41 am

The images don’t see you, and if the Buddha knows, then he knows no matter what. The purpose is so that your own mind, your meditation area, shrine, which represents the three jewels, and is an outward manifestation of your inner practice, that this “special” space in your room and in your mind remains free of attachments and clinging to worldly, samsaric indulgences, sex being probably the most intense. I mean, drinking tea is also a sensory indulgence but there isn’t any objection to that. You can have a cup of tea or coffee at your side when meditating or doing verbal practice, and still maintain in your mind that this shrine area is a buddha area, an enlightened space, you might say.

Compared with tea, sex is a lot more involved. It’s not so easy to maintain that purpose when you are “getting down and dirty” with someone (or yourself, if that's the case).

You might consider some kind of cabinet (for your Buddhist images...not for you to have sex in). Or even some kind of box with a curtain that holds your dharma images or shrine.

If nothing else, then at least you should dedicate the joy you experience to the benefit of all beings, by making the wish that all beings may be as happy as you and be free from suffering. Probably do that afterward. I think, for most people, concentrating on dharma would be too distracting while bouncing around under the sheets.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:03 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:41 am
You might consider some kind of cabinet (for your Buddhist images...not for you to have sex in). Or even some kind of box with a curtain that holds your dharma images or shrine.
That's what I would suggest. In Japan, families have altars (Butsudan) that can be closed up. Traditionally, in small houses where the living space is for everything, its part of the ritual to open the altar in the morning and close it at night.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:14 am

Könchok Thrinley wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:34 pm
Hi,

I am studying Gampopa at the moment and in the Jewel Ornament he mentions that it is wrong to have sex near representation of the Buddha. Which, is understandable, however what about being a lay person in a flat with only one room? I have considered to cover the altar which would be best, however that could be rather hard to realize since I don't even own a hammer. What are your thoughts on this? Should I worry about it?
you might want to investigate what "near" means in this case.

i also live in an apartment with no walls separating my bed from my shrine. They're right next to each other... I sectioned my shrine off with a shogi screen and a makeshift wall.

Yes, curtains will also do the trick. If you have a way to "open" and "close" your shrine that can also help. My shrine is in a wooden box but there are thangkas everywhere around it... I can't afford to get another bedroom, although I would like to have a separate space for practice eventually. From what I understand, if you have the motivation to change these situations, it's okay to hold that and make good on it when you can.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:06 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:41 am

Compared with tea, sex is a lot more involved. It’s not so easy to maintain that purpose when you are “getting down and dirty” with someone (or yourself, if that's the case).

Sir, If I may say so, eating and drinking is considerably more mushy than sex. Well, I mean the lady processes take place more internally. The man stuff, like eating a sausage involves stuff that you see. Guys like seeing stuff..

it's not easy keeping biology away from anything. We're biological. :broke:

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:34 pm

..er, I should probably add that mastication and making babies generally take place internally.

On the surface level pouring tea and being mindful of taste is less involved. so yeah.. no brainer, right?

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:18 pm

DharmaN00b wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:34 pm
..er, I should probably add that mastication and making babies generally take place internally.

On the surface level pouring tea and being mindful of taste is less involved. so yeah.. no brainer, right?
Oh but tea pouring is an essential and vital part of my decadent homosexual bed behaviour, together with a pack of cookies and one rubber duck. :tongue:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:25 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have decided to put most of the altar into a hidden cupboard in front of which I can practice in the morning right after waking and at night before the non-naughty bed time. :twothumbsup:

I think that if anything can be taken from the japanese buddhist cultures, butsudans are definetly it.

Hazel

Post by Hazel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:44 pm

This thread lead to me converting my walk in closet into a shrine room, complete with a curtain I open in the morning and close in the evening. Thank you for posting!

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:19 am

Re: butsudans, I got mine at Nakayama Butsudans. They have a range of makes/prices and ship internationally.
I have a small walnut butsudan big enough for an Amida Buddha statue.
It has a light in the top and a shelf that pulls out for offerings, as well as a small underneath for supplies or a wagesa.
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

The Fundamental Vow [of Amitabha Buddha] is just for such people as woodcutters and grassgatherers, vegetable pickers, drawers of water and the like, illiterate folk who merely recite the Buddha's name wholeheartedly, confident that as a result of saying "Namu Amida Butsu" they will be born into the western land. -- Master Hōnen

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”